Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

[AU] Dollar value of LEGO collection

mikey1703mikey1703 Wyong area, NSW AustraliaMember Posts: 10
Hi All,

I have done done a bit of searching, but have not found anything truly helpful. I'm hoping that someone here may be able to point me in the right direction or assist in some way.

As the subject says, is there a way to find out the dollar value of my collection (to sell, not insure)? It is just a tick under 45,000 pieces from about 490 odd sets. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,
Mikey

Comments

• AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,214
    So many factors involved. Do you have books and / or boxes?

If so, complete the sets and head over to Bricklink and extrapolate your totals there.

If no books or the sets arre not complete, you may have to sell it as a lot or, in individual figures and pieces. Either way, it could take some time.
  • mikey1703mikey1703 Wyong area, NSW AustraliaMember Posts: 10
    Apologies for the duplicate posts. Chrome told me that it errored out, so I reposted. I also cannot delete the other one. Could an admin please do so for me?

Thank you. 
    AllBrick said:
    So many factors involved. Do you have books and / or boxes?

If so, complete the sets and head over to Bricklink and extrapolate your totals there.

If no books or the sets arre not complete, you may have to sell it as a lot or, in individual figures and pieces. Either way, it could take some time.
    Thanks for that.
    For most of it, yes I have books and I would say that there are not very many missing pieces.
    There may be some missing instructions from the 1970's & 80's sets, but everything since 1997 or so is complete with instructions. I have very few boxes though - just some of the newer and larger sets inc Sydney Opera House & the Porsche. 

I'll go go check out Bricklink shortly. I have an account there, but haven't used it for ages. 
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 591
    Remember that Bricklinl can also be configured to show AUD pricing - it's pretty easy (even I worked it out in under 5 minutes!).  The other thing to take into account is who you're trying to sell to - A bargain price can be quickly dissolved by postage costs. These days it's extremely cost prohibitive to sell internationally from Oz. At least you've got the day off today so you'll have a bit of time up your sleeve to work through it!
    SprinkleOtterkiki180703
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,378
    And if you're trying to sell it as a bulk lot (not put together), then you have to be willing to cut those prices by half at least. People aren't going to pay BL prices for a set you say is in a massive pile of parts.

Your best return would be to put everything together, but that'd take a  looooong while.
    AllBrickkiki180703
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,345
    And if you're trying to sell it as a bulk lot (not put together), then you have to be willing to cut those prices by half at least. People aren't going to pay BL prices for a set you say is in a massive pile of parts.

I'd say it is even worse than that. Sorting time for 490 sets is going to be huge. If these are mixed up, it is just a bulk pile. 

If they are sorted into sets, then the best way to minimise time but maximise price is probably to sell as groups of sets within a theme. But it is still going to take time. And you will need to check every set is 100% complete.
    Thanks for the replies and advice everyone.
    Most of my collection is divided up into colour matched boxes with Minifigs separated out. There are other divisions, but it isn't enough to make any of this a fast process.
    I like the idea of going for "group of sets within a theme" though.

In truth I am hoping that it doesn't come to it (selling the lot), but in the meantime I can at least "finally sort it all out" as I've been wanting to do for a few years now.

It may cost me more in sandwich bags than I'll make in the sales LOL
  • cmrt1014cmrt1014 Member Posts: 335
    Hey, just some thoughts on regrouping into sets:  I did this in 2015-6 with my son's sets.  Fortunately, his were mostly put together sets. I found it sanity saving to use brickstock to keep track of which parts I had collected into which sets - and, more importantly, which parts were missing from which sets.  When I found a part that had been hiding, it was very encouraging to be able to put it with it's intended set.  Also, iteration will be your friend.  Organization will keep you sane at each and every step!  Post pictures here to track your progress - I sure wish I had images to reflect back on where I started from.  Someday I need to get back and finish the last bits...
    catwranglerkiki180703
    cmrt1014 said:
    Hey, just some thoughts on regrouping into sets:  I did this in 2015-6 with my son's sets.  Fortunately, his were mostly put together sets. I found it sanity saving to use brickstock to keep track of which parts I had collected into which sets - and, more importantly, which parts were missing from which sets.  When I found a part that had been hiding, it was very encouraging to be able to put it with it's intended set.  Also, iteration will be your friend.  Organization will keep you sane at each and every step!  Post pictures here to track your progress - I sure wish I had images to reflect back on where I started from.  Someday I need to get back and finish the last bits...
    Thanks so much for this cmrt. 
    I've never used Brickstock before but as soon as I get home, I'll be checking it out.

Really really REALLY hope I don;t have to sell any of it.

Thanks again all.