Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

The LEGO Batman Movie (Spoiler Alert)

ClutchPowerClutchPower Austin, TexasMember Posts: 210
edited January 27 in Everything else LEGO
Thought we could use this. Since The LEGO Batman Movie date is approaching us, I thought we could use this to talk about our thoughts on the movie and what we liked/didn't like. I also made this so that we could talk about the movie, but with spoilers. Everyone can probably use the other Discussion to talk about Non-Spoilers. Hope this helps everyone. :)

Comments

• terfstenterfsten Member Posts: 84
    Someone post them quick! I want to know all of the major spoilers and I can't find any reviews that will post them! lol
    SprinkleOtterkiki180703ClutchPower
  • terfstenterfsten Member Posts: 84
    this HTML class. Value is http://www.gizmodo.c

This page has all the spoilers I was looking for! All the major info needed from the movie!
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 495
    So based on that second link, there's a human world aspect again just like the first movie? Talking about the infinite abyss bit.
  • AyliffeAyliffe the UK innit?Member Posts: 223
    So based on that second link, there's a human world aspect again just like the first movie? Talking about the infinite abyss bit.
    It's in the same universe as the abyss is below the entirety of the TLM universe, but they don't really say much else other than that - no actual humans are shown this time, it's just "possible doomsday #1".

On another note: am I the only person that was a bit put off by the iPhone product placement? Like seriously, it really didn't fit in at all and the film would've done better without it.
    Pumpkin_3CK5nuttamastabuildaBumblepants
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably rainingMember Posts: 118
    iphone and Siri didn't bother me at all
    pharmjodstlux
    @Ayliffe Good to know. Also, is the Dracula from the Phantom Zone a new minifig or an already existing one?
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 697
    @Ayliffe Good to know. Also, is the Dracula from the Phantom Zone a new minifig or an already existing one?
    Already exists. He's from CMF Series 2.

When it comes to the iPhone product placement, it only made me want an iPhone piece.

Was it just me, or was Harley's truck from the Visual Guide absent from the movie? Couldn't see it at the beginning with all the havoc going around (love that scene).

Also, what could potential Winter 2018 sets look like for this theme?
    I'd love to have the Wayne Mobile and Egghead's Mech would just make me all the more happy.

I also wouldn't mind more add-ons for the power plant, as the building in the movie is massive.

I would also love to have as comprehensive of a Rogue's Gallery as possible. Clock Man, Condiment King, Gentlemen's Ghost. So many great minifigures, yet so few sets that have bothered at this point.

An while I'm thinking about it, I'd love King Kong, and a more enticing offer than Dimensions to get Voldemort. Heck any of the giant guys from the Phantom Zone would rock.
    Pumpkin_3CK5Muftak1MynattClutchPowerSumoLegostlux
    edited February 10
    So what the heck is the phantom Zone? Who's the brick lady and the female boss she's referring to? Most likely tied to the abyss/humans I'm guessing. 
    edited February 10
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 826
    If you have an iPhone, ask Siri "Hey Pewter"
    CM4SMynattSeijiAmasawaClutchPowerAdzbadboyDedgeckoReesesPieces
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 885
    edited February 11
    Holy crap that's amazing!

As for the movie, loved it. A lot of differences between trailer and final cut though.
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 697
    Holy. Crap.

Best Siri update to date.

I haven't seen the movie in days, can someone remind as to whether or not #70917 is accurate to the movie. I would think something that size would have the accuracy that made #70816 so perfect.
  • MynattMynatt Member Posts: 358
    edited February 11
    This is excellent! Love how many different different responses Siri has to it! Counted up to 4 different responses.

Also love how well it works, Siri misheard me and accidentally started calling a friend, Peter...
    Rainstorm26
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 496
    So for someone who has seen the film...
    how many other bat suits show up in the film which don't exist in minifig form?
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 7,129
    So what the heck is the phantom Zone? Who's the brick lady and the female boss she's referring to? Most likely tied to the abyss/humans I'm guessing. 
    My money was on a UniKitty cameo.
    SumoLego said:
    My money was on a UniKitty cameo.
     Sucks that none of them made any appearance at all, aside from Medusa and Dracula I think. 
    SumoLego
    There was the fleeting glimpse of Emmett.  Bah.
    Pumpkin_3CK5TyresOFlaherty
  • ChakorChanningChakorChanning United StatesMember Posts: 17
    I'm new here, so it figures that I see this thread after posting in the general Batman Movie thread, LOL.  As for spoilers, I will say that I was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of other Warner Bros. characters in the movie, which is something that I didn't expect at all.  They even threw in the Gremlins, so I'll give the movie extra points for that!

As a side note, I couldn't help but notice that it was mentioned in the end credits that "Everything is Awesome" was used in the film...  When?  I didn't fall asleep during the film and I don't remember the song being used once.  Could be wrong though.
  • The_Mad_VulcanThe_Mad_Vulcan SeattleMember Posts: 158
    Penkid11 said:

I haven't seen the movie in days, can someone remind as to whether or not #70917 is accurate to the movie. I would think something that size would have the accuracy that made #70816 so perfect.
    It was hard to tell. The complete vehicle is on the screen for only a very brief time before it split into component parts. It will be easier to tell once we see the images of the set in it's split mode (Babs had a mini-Batwing, Alfred had a mini tank like vehicle, Robin had a motorcycle, and Batman drove what was left of the main build.)

I think it is Lego Dimensions. I don't play that game, but most of the characters from the Phantom Zone are Lego Dimensions characters (its the main plot that Joker want to go there in order to bring back villains to help him defeat Batman).

The Brick Lady is literally a white 2x4 brick with 8 1x1 round plates on it. The color of the plates are all transparent but rotate color as she talks. The default version (non-talking) appears to be all clear 1x1 round plates except in the second row, which are blue which makes them seem like 'eyes'. Her name is Phyllis. 

The only nod to the abyss is a very brief glimpse of a shot with the battery falling down it which looks like the same shot from Emmit's prophesy vision in the first film. It is a few seconds of live action in an otherwise all CG film. This is mentioned during an explanation of Joker's first plan in the early part of the film (he wants to set off a bomb which will split the base plates and cause the whole display they are on to fall to the ground.)
    *1x1 Round Tiles (transparent)

*My daughter and nephew think the brick was light bley. I was debating that with myself and I think it was due to the lighting of the scenes that it sometimes looked white and sometimes bley.
  • smokebelchsmokebelch UKMember Posts: 80
    I'm pretty sure Phyllis was a white 2x4, but hard to tell 100% with the lighting. Also she is definitely made up of trans round tiles... however I think possibly when they light up as she's talking they turn into round plates... 
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,207
    I was hoping Finn and The Man Upstairs would make an appearance in The LEGO Batman Movie (2017)
    ClutchPower
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,099
    My daughter was into it until the cat got cooked in the lava. That part made her cry. I'm not sure she's gonna want to see it again now :P
    TyresOFlaherty
  • smokebelchsmokebelch UKMember Posts: 80
    Courtesy of the Making of The Lego Batman Movie Book (& my local Waterstones!) - here's the Ultimate Batmobile in its component parts...
    ClutchPowerThe_Mad_VulcanPumpkin_3CK5stlux
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,099
    Oh and jerks put the Matrix agents in there to torture me. As if Lego will EVER do the Matrix...ha. yea right
    ClutchPowerPumpkin_3CK5
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,236
    ^ The cat did say that she was ok.
    Legopassion8Pumpkin_3CK5pharmjodstluxBumblepants
  • leetshoeleetshoe USAMember Posts: 176
    l loved the movie. Didn't think l would like it as much as l did. Everything about it was funny. There was a preview for Ninja gos and l don't really like ninja gos but if it's from the same people that made the last 2 movies it's gotta be good.

Anyone know if the Mr Freeze in the movie is the same as from the set? They looked similar but the scenes with him went by too fast for me to tell.
    @The_Mad_Vulcan I've seen the movie and I meant "what the heck is Phyllis?" other than a sentient white 2x4. I know she's a guardian of sorts, and I'm not sure about the dimensions theory unless they're hinting that they're gonna release a king Kong lol. She even has a boss and she referred to said boss as a her,  and that she'd be glad if all the villains were put back in the phantom Zone. 
    SumoLego said:
    There was the fleeting glimpse of Emmett.  Bah.
    Nvm I remember that scene now, somewhat haha, with Wyldstyle as well. 
  • Build_With_BricksBuild_With_Bricks WIMember Posts: 5
    edited February 12
    The family and I just went to see the movie yesterday.  We all really enjoyed it, though my husband seemed to get the biggest kick out of it.  He's an avid Batman fan and enjoyed the inside humor.

Honestly, I took a power nap smack dab in the middle, but that's because I was exhausted from an out-of-town trip that we had just returned from.  It seems that I didn't miss anything of great import because the movie still made sense to me. ;-)

What I really appreciated was how they added emotional depth to the characters, especially The Joker and Robin.  I also love the direction they took in making the storyline about Batman's fear of losing family again.
    Pumpkin_3CK5
    Im interested on how the Jaws license will be used in the future. Cant wait to see what's in store!
    SumoLego
    Maybe a boat to go along with the Old Fishing Shack... manned by a surley fisherman, an oceanographer and a cop...
    Mynattgmonkey76
    SumoLego said:
    Maybe a boat to go along with the Old Fishing Shack... manned by a surley fisherman, an oceanographer and a cop...

We're gonna need a bigger boat...
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,067
    I doubt there will be anything else Jaws related - I believe the link to Jaws in the film is entirely implicit (admittedly there's not many other franchises where a giant shark is the bad guy) but unless there was anything specifically in the credits about Jaws I'd say that the shark wouldn't need a licensing agreement.

At very most there might be a Jaws Dimensions pack next year but I wouldn't count on it.

Incidentally I'd been thinking for a while that the Matrix could be a good Dimensions pack, with the LEGO Batman movie link maybe we could get something. I know the age rating of the original films might cause an issue but given how widely the bullet time scenes were parodied and considering a lot of the Dimensions content seems to aimed more at general gamers than kids I could imagine a fun pack or team pack making it through.
    JadBean
  • ChubblesChubbles USAMember Posts: 428
    I want a Morpheus minifig with a blue pill and a red pill accessory
    ^Could be a swallowing hazard.

Perhaps the King Kong would be a microbuild that comes along with a Faye Wray minifig. But if it was the size of Clayface (or bigger), I'd buy it.

Not sure about the other giant monster. Even wikipedia does not list who or what it was. I was thinking it was Godzilla (or a variant thereof) early in the film, but it has 4 arms.

Could be easy to solve as all of these villain characters were WB properties (and most are already in Dimensions).
    SumoLegocatwrangler
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 290
    ^Could be a swallowing hazard.

Perhaps the King Kong would be a microbuild that comes along with a Faye Wray minifig. But if it was the size of Clayface (or bigger), I'd buy it.

Not sure about the other giant monster. Even wikipedia does not list who or what it was. I was thinking it was Godzilla (or a variant thereof) early in the film, but it has 4 arms.

Could be easy to solve as all of these villain characters were WB properties (and most are already in Dimensions).
    The other giant monster is the Kraken from the classic Clash of the Titans (I've never seen it, but I saw someone else point out the similarity). That is in fact a Warner Bros. property.

Of course, there are at least a few non-WB properties in the movie, the most obvious of which are the "British robots".
    Pumpkin_3CK5Aanchircatwranglergmonkey76
    Thanks for clearing that up for me. I guess it is listed in Wikipedia, I just didn't get it (Wikipedia says that both the Kraken and Medusa come from Clash of the Titans.)
  • TyresOFlahertyTyresOFlaherty USAMember Posts: 244
    I thought the movie was great. Loved how they really got to the core of Batman as a character and his fear of letting anyone else in his life again. 

Absolutely loved the "why won't you say you hate me?" relationship (or lack thereof) between Batman and the Joker.

I was worried that I would have bought all these TLBM sets and then have been underwhelmed by the movie, but this was definitely not the case!!
    CM4SLyichirSumoLegostluxsid3windrClutchPowerAanchirMegtheCatBuild_With_Bricks
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,321
    I'd like to point out that there was (that I recall) no mention of "Jaws". Just a shark. A plain great white, like comes in any Pirates set.
    ClutchPowergmonkey76
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the WestMember Posts: 1,749
    When does the Ultimate Batmobile appear in the movie?
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 290
    When does the Ultimate Batmobile appear in the movie?
    Near the climax of the film, when Batman has accepted his "Bat-family" and is taking on the Joker and his army alongside the original "Rogues Gallery" of villains. He builds it with space for all four of them, unlike his earlier vehicles which he did not allow the others to drive (and in some cases didn't even have enough seats).
    77ncaachamps
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the WestMember Posts: 1,749
    Thanks, @Lyichir. Had forgotten that part. Between trying to stay awake and keeping up with all the movie details, I figured it was towards the end due to Alfred's "bat" minifig in the set.
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 788
    Perhaps Phyllis' boss is Finn's little sister growing up.  The Phantom Zone may be all the scary things that she's watched with Finn or their family, and she's locked them away in her id / subconscious. Finn may have possibly built those creations with President Business, but again are too scary for his little sister.  Obviously she's imaginative enough to create aliens with her duplo blocks and attack Finn's creations at the end of TLM.

Was any other connection established?
    Lyichir
    That's an interesting idea. I suspect that future movies might have more phantom zone stuff to explain it a little. I thought it was interesting that they took an established DC thing like the Phantom Zone and turned it into something uniquely LEGO Movie.

I really think they should have included Phyllis in the Batman in the Phantom Zone poly without any explaination that the 2x4 with random trans studs on is a character, I can imagine some of the comments that might have been made about it before the film came out - along the lines of WTF? :-)

I do feel the need to make a Phyllis and just position her next to any random "bad guy" minifigure on display.

• MegtheCatMegtheCat Houston, TXMember Posts: 138
    I saw the movie today & I had the theater all to myself!

It was one of the largest auditoriums at this location, but apparently I was the only person who wanted to see TLBM this morning. 

I loved the movie - especially all of the villains who are so colorful and silly. Honestly, who would be afraid of Condiment King? Now I need to figure out how to display all of the minifigure from this movie.
    ClutchPower
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 885
    Dunno if anyone can remember but was the balcony Harley activated the Phantom Zone Projector the one above the entrance to Arkham? Is that why that was added?
    I love that this has final been posted online

I really wish the white suit Batman, Robin, Batgirl and Afred had made it into the CMF - not as much as Egghead, he deserved a slot way more than Red Hood but never mind.
    ClutchPowerInfinityman