You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Ebay Seller Canceling

Aerros1Aerros1 California, USA Member Posts: 20
edited January 27 in Buying & Selling Topics
Hey all. I buy from Ebay quite a bit over the years and have never had an order canceled until this week and it's happened twice. The first one was a Buy it now at a fair price and the seller canceled and said it was no longer available. The second had a $70 buy it now Or best offer with Freeshipping. I've seen the item go for 60 bucks recently so i offered 55 and within a couple hours they accepted. a day later I get canceled with no explanation and the seller relisted the item at 70 OBO Freeshipping again. 

Does this Happen a lot with lego? Does leaving negative feedback make me a dick?

Comments

• datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 650
    Not sure how often it happens, as I have not been buying much from eBay recently. When it did happen to me I left negative feedback, but that was over a decade ago and I think they changed feedback procedures since then, making it harder to even leave negative feedback.
  • adukaduk Member Posts: 119
    I had a cancel a couple of sales over Christmas because I made a mistake in the listing with the international shipping selected - however I always contacted the buyer to explain and apologise for my mistake. It seems common courtesy to me to send a quick note - but does it deserve a negative - neutral at worst I think but purely personal choice.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,022
    edited January 27
    If you didn't actually pay any money to the seller or they have already refunded you 100% and they aren't in any other way screwing you, just leave it be. It absolutely does NOT deserve a negative. Anyone suggesting otherwise clearly isn't a seller. There are any number of reasons why a seller might cancel an order. They don't owe you an explanation as long as you get your money back. Just find another seller and buy it. If it keeps happening to you, perhaps you are the problem. Is your shipping address a PO Box? Perhaps where you are relative to where they are was going to be too much for free shipping. Who knows.

Negative feedback should only be when you have truly received poor service from the seller. IE you didn't receive what you paid for and no refund was given or the item is damaged or poorly packaged to the point where the packaging is what caused the damage. Or if it takes way longer to receive an item than it should. There are legitimate reasons for leaving a negative feedback, but a seller canceling an item within a day is not one of them. 
    prevereSprinkleOttermgjvegasCaptainPirateManDoctorMcGannFollowsClosely
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 650
    ^I'll agree for the first item, since the seller did not relist, negative is a bit harsh. On the second, the seller accepted the offer, then cancelled and relisted. If they did not want to sell the item for $55, they should not have accepted the offer, and I'd hit them with a negative for it.

I should probably note the deal that I left negative for was a car where I won the auction and then the seller spent a week ducking me and sold it for more on Craigslist before cancelling.
    oldtodd33catwranglersonatine01sid3windrBuriedinBrickstomahawkernkx1DoctorMcGannlegomental
  • Aerros1Aerros1 California, USA Member Posts: 20
    pharmjod said:
    If you didn't actually pay any money to the seller or they have already refunded you 100% and they aren't in any other way screwing you, just leave it be. It absolutely does NOT deserve a negative. Anyone suggesting otherwise clearly isn't a seller. There are any number of reasons why a seller might cancel an order. They don't owe you an explanation as long as you get your money back. Just find another seller and buy it. If it keeps happening to you, perhaps you are the problem. Is your shipping address a PO Box? Perhaps where you are relative to where they are was going to be too much for free shipping. Who knows.

Negative feedback should only be when you have truly received poor service from the seller. IE you didn't receive what you paid for and no refund was given or the item is damaged or poorly packaged to the point where the packaging is what caused the damage. Or if it takes way longer to receive an item than it should. There are legitimate reasons for leaving a negative feedback, but a seller canceling an item within a day is not one of them. 
    I've been mainly buying but also selling on Ebay for over 10 years with 100% positive feedback. It's not me. I also use My home address. also this seller is not new to ebay being a "top rated seller"

If they canceled due to my location relative to them. then they shouldn't have offered free shipping at all knowing it would apply to any buyer regardless of location.

Again, They had a "or make offer option". I made offer. They had all my info at that point and STILL accepted only to then cancel later. because they saw they might make another 10 bucks from someone else.
  • BillyBricks84BillyBricks84 United StatesMember Posts: 173
    I had this happen a couple months ago with a LEGO set that I gave a best offer on and the person accepted. After a couple of days after I had paid and no communication, I finally got a message saying the buyer wasn't going to send it to me because the box wasn't in very good shape so he was refunding my money. Before I could respond that I would at least be willing to discuss the price and the box, he had already relisted the item for his original Buy It Now price and no comments about the box being a problem. I didn't give negative feedback, but I was definitely irritated by it. 
  • sonatine01sonatine01 EnglandMember Posts: 299
    I'd defo leave negative feedback in the second case. As CCC said it can have a knock on effect for the buyer and not even having the common decency to message you and apologise makes it worse for me.

For me that's the whole point of feedback on eBay, to inform others of your buying /selling experience  and if you've read negative feedback and still want to buy then that's up to you.
    sid3windr
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,217
    Your second seller deserves a negative Aerros1.

I agree with adello25. If you mess up as a seller you provide good and apologetic communication and then cross your fingers.

As a seller if I reneged on an ebay sale through no fault of the buyer then I wouldn't be happy to get a negative but I'd consider it to be fair.

Actually, when I did find myself in that position as a seller, as a precaution before sending the buyer a grovelling apology, I found the nearest seller on Bricklink who was willing (at extra cost) to get the same item shipped to me that same day and then I shipped it on so that my mistake was invisible to my buyer.

Buyers ought to be able to expect a level of service far exceeding "not having been screwed over".
    BillyBricks84catwranglerJackad7tomahawkerRakulMooreFXDoctorMcGann
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 399
    I think I once promoted a seller to cancel others orders, the seller appeared to be selling returned items and the set I got was missing the minifigure. After a day of communication he refunded me for the figure and canceled others orders (considering the figure was almost the entire value of what they were selling). I think your cases are awfully odd though and  I would definitely leave negative feedback.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,770
    I just left somebody neutral. Bought an old Lego key chain new, seller confirmed all fine. About 5 days later got a refund and no comms. He reckons was damaged in post and returned to him, which was garbage. He just sold an old rare key ring a little on the cheap and decided he wanted more as must have found out it was worth around 3 times what he sold it for. Neutral from me was generous.
    Jackad7
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 7,641

richo said:
    I just left somebody neutral. Bought an old Lego key chain new, seller confirmed all fine. About 5 days later got a refund and no comms. He reckons was damaged in post and returned to him, which was garbage. He just sold an old rare key ring a little on the cheap and decided he wanted more as must have found out it was worth around 3 times what he sold it for. Neutral from me was generous.
    With all due respect, that is an assumption. Unless he wound up relisting it later (which I have watched sellers for if they provided a similar excuse) at a higher price; in the end, you are assuming that he/she lied to get more money. IMO a 'Neutral' in this instance was not 'generous', but likely the appropriate action if the seller cannot provide proof it came back and came back damaged.

Though, I would say this is why all sellers should be required to use tracking on their packages (most places offer it as part of the cost for shipping now anyway). It is in their best interest if a package DOES get sent back to them as damaged as they can then prove it.

In the end I think if anyone is planning leaving negative feedback I would say this. Do NOT put assumptions in the feedback. If the seller can prove their case then you get in trouble with eBay if I am not mistaken. Also you HAVE to try to get the seller to 'make it right' before leaving such feedback (I think that is also eBay policy).
    I cannot tell you how many 'good deals' that I bought/won that seemed to fall through due to this excuse or that excuse, but at the end of the day if you got your money back, and the seller does not relist it, then it is what it is. I bit of a letdown, but the sun will still rise and you will still have your cash.

Now if the guy says it was damaged/lost and then you see them put another up in a listing, I would contact them directly and ask why you did not get the item. If they say it is another one they are selling, then that is really no excuse IMO. If they can replace it with a 'spare' they should, and I'm guessing eBay could see it the same way.

I'm sure there are sellers out there doing this, but most times they cover their bases well in order for eBay to call it ambiguous or cannot prove they did something like this. But if anyone is truly doing this then they should be punished by eBay and yes one way to do that is via neg feedback.
    catwrangler
    ^ a lego key chain would take some damaging, also, it was highly unlikely it was damaged and returned to him in 5 days of the auctions end. Wild assumptions, yep don't make them, but in my experience of eBay, the Occam's razor principle applies. 
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 7,641
    edited January 29
    richo said:
    ^ a lego key chain would take some damaging, also, it was highly unlikely it was damaged and returned to him in 5 days of the auctions end. Wild assumptions, yep don't make them, but in my experience of eBay, the Occam's razor principle applies. 
    I received a damaged key chain when LEGO put it into a padded envelope so I know it can occur. Again I know it is all relative, and speculation is just that.
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 399
    richo said:
    You should have asked him for pictures of it :P or a tracking number.
    madforLEGO
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 412
    In the thirty odd years I've been buying via online or via mail order (younger readers ask your parents) I've never heard of an item being damaged in the post and returned to its place of origin.  Plenty of damaged items received and required to be returned but never one where the carrier makes that determination...
    MattDawsonMattPetersenstluxkiki180703richo
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,346
    In the thirty odd years I've been buying via online or via mail order (younger readers ask your parents) I've never heard of an item being damaged in the post and returned to its place of origin.  Plenty of damaged items received and required to be returned but never one where the carrier makes that determination...
    Yet I've had that happen when posting stuff (Christmas presents) to the USA. Evidently someone dropped the parcel in a puddle, because it was wrapped in plastic (at their end, not the Royal Mail end) and returned, months later. 
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 771
    Perhaps the free shipping was the issue.  Just because items say "free shipping" make no mistakes about it, shipping cost money.  The last time i had someone  make an offer, I was unable to figure out their ship to location...someone correct me if a seller can see that at the time an offer is made...I had to ask for the shipping zip.  When they gave me their zip I rejected the offer.  Maybe the second seller didn't realize the actual cost of shipping, and pulled back after they saw the real cost.

He just undersold it. Original brand new batman character keychain circa 2008 gray label, £4 delivered. Not my fault it was listed low. Somebody would have bought it. Just poor practice. Should have gone negative really, neutral was generous.
  • JodyJody Eastern USAMember Posts: 104
    As far as i'm concerned, listing an auction with a BIN price is a contract. You are agreeing to sell the item at that price. Adding free shipping is something any logical seller figures into the BIN price. Cancelling the auction and relisting due to sellers remorse is shady, and unethical. If you do it to me, you will get a negative. I had a $75 item listed as free shipping. Little did I know, the cheapest way to ship it was about $49. I ate it, because it was the right thing to do. Little did I know, I was just over the inches threshold for the larger price bracket. Lesson learned. That isn't the buyers fault.
    sid3windrcatwrangler
  • adello25adello25 U.S.A.Member Posts: 359
    ryjay said:
    Perhaps the free shipping was the issue.  Just because items say "free shipping" make no mistakes about it, shipping cost money.  The last time i had someone  make an offer, I was unable to figure out their ship to location...someone correct me if a seller can see that at the time an offer is made...I had to ask for the shipping zip.  When they gave me their zip I rejected the offer.  Maybe the second seller didn't realize the actual cost of shipping, and pulled back after they saw the real cost.

The biggest difference in what you did and what the seller in question did is that you REJECTED the offer because of shipping, which is 100% reasonable.  The seller in question AGREED to a deal, which is a CONTRACT then cancelled it without any reason why.
  • Aerros1Aerros1 California, USA Member Posts: 20
    Aerros1 said:
    Hey all. I buy from Ebay quite a bit over the years and have never had an order canceled until this week and it's happened twice. The first one was a Buy it now at a fair price and the seller canceled and said it was no longer available. The second had a $70 buy it now Or best offer with Freeshipping. I've seen the item go for 60 bucks recently so i offered 55 and within a couple hours they accepted. a day later I get canceled with no explanation and the seller relisted the item at 70 OBO Freeshipping again. 

Does this Happen a lot with lego? Does leaving negative feedback make me a dick?

*******UPDATE*******

Long weekend for me but a lot happened regarding my original post. After reading all your great responses and getting no response from the seller, I did decide to leave negative feedback. As I clicked the button an Automated Ebay prompt popped up stating I should send a message to seller before leaving neg feedback. I paused and decided I would, and hope the information of possible negative feedback would get them to at least give me a reason. If they responded with something halfway decent I would mark it as neutral and go about my day.

I did receive a response back with the explanation that the seller had multiple of the same item for sale and meant to cancel on a buyer who hadn't payed but canceled mine by mistake. The seller then expressed how important feedback was to her and offered the item up with an additional 5 dollars off of my original offer(now 50w/free shipping). It was mailed out Saturday and reached me yesterday. So either the worry of getting negative feedback pushed them to just let it go, or it was an honest mistake. From the responses I do believe it was honest and the seller will be receiving positive feedback. I will give them the benefit of the doubt and leave Positive feedback for making good on the sale. 

Thank you all for your input.
    Legogramsid3windrJodycatwranglerKlintanAllBrickMattDawsonMaffyD
  • arathemisarathemis sometimes here, sometimes thereMember Posts: 113
    So everyone assumed the worst of the seller, instead of assuming an honest mistake. Why do you guys have so little faith in other humans?
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,194
    Honestly, I assume the worst out of most buyers unless feedback shows otherwise.
    richopharmjod
    edited January 31
    arathemis said:
    So everyone assumed the worst of the seller, instead of assuming an honest mistake. Why do you guys have so little faith in other humans?
    It's called being streetwise.
    JodySprinkleOttersid3windrAerros1Jackad7
  • adello25adello25 U.S.A.Member Posts: 359
    arathemis said:
    And to me he only gets partial credit because it took the buyer sending him a message threatening negative feedback for him to respond.  Definitely an honest mistake, but the buyer should not have to reach out to the seller to find out what is going on, part of the selling aspect is communication.
    catwranglerJackad7