Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Is this made in Mexico?

Comments

• William_TownsleyWilliam_Townsley Perth, Scotland Member Posts: 846
    No. It's made in the USA by American Workers and the Mexicans paid for it
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the WestMember Posts: 1,911
    You do have to wonder how this affects Lego (factories) and dvds (many made there) not to mention food and produce.
    William_Townsleykiki180703KingAlanIClutchPower
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 479
    edited January 29
    Considering legos, dvds, and food are not illegally smuggled across the border (unless they were illegaly produced in the first place) it shouldn't affect them at all. 
    gmonkey76DoctorMcGann
  • GoodCoffeeJoeyGoodCoffeeJoey Member Posts: 59
    edited January 30
    Jackad7 said:
    Considering legos, dvds, and food are not illegally smuggled across the border (unless they were illegaly produced in the first place) it shouldn't affect them at all. 
    No, it's the opposite. Trump's opposing a 20% tariff on all Mexican imports. Most of the anxiety about this so far has been directed at what effects the tariff would have on food prices. Believe it or not smuggled goods aren't taxed.
    KingAlanIClutchPowerjosekalel
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,873
    ^ I think you mean "proposing" not "opposing". I have briefly wondered what Lego supplies in the USA would be if we get into a trade scuffle with Mexico. I assume that much of our supply is made there but that may not be correct.
    madforLEGO77ncaachampsKingAlanIClutchPower
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 7,841
    Mexico manufactures most of the North American product.  (CMFs and Dimensions packs are the notable exception.)
    77ncaachampsKingAlanIClutchPowerPumpkin_3CK5
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 812
    With LEGO being a Danish company does it matter where it is made and shipped from? Or does the fact the parent company has always been Danish cancel out the import/place It's made?
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the WestMember Posts: 1,911
    SumoLego said:
    Mexico manufactures most of the North American product.  (CMFs and Dimensions packs are the notable exception.)
    This was what I was thinking of without getting politically aroused.

There is a reason why Lego placed a factory in Mexico: other than the cheaper labor, the proximity to the US market as well as servicing the rest of North America and South America.

Whatever comes of this ridiculous tariff talk, the bottom line is both economies will suffer and directly and indirectly, Lego will as well.

When the going gets tough, the tough don't go and spend loads on Lego; they cut back.
    KingAlanIClutchPowerSumoLego
  • GoodCoffeeJoeyGoodCoffeeJoey Member Posts: 59
    ecmo47 said:
    ^ I think you mean "proposing" not "opposing". I have briefly wondered what Lego supplies in the USA would be if we get into a trade scuffle with Mexico. I assume that much of our supply is made there but that may not be correct.
    Yes! I'm going to blame that on autocorrect and fat fingers.

I wonder if this will affect prices in Canada as well? I know for some similar products Canadian retailers buy product from American distributors.
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 1,373
    Wouldn't it be ironic if Mexican laborers helped put it together?

The boxes I get say "Components made in Denmark, Hungary, Mexico, China, and the Czech Republic". When I split a box along the seams and flatten it out, I often see a boxmaker logo, often Cartolito from Mexico.
    There's a spot on customs forms for country of origin and I wonder what to put. I'd been going with Denmark since that's on the list and is LEGO HQ. (I've never sent only CMFs overseas and I've never handled Dimensions, so those having different origin is a moot point here)

CM4S
    Lego for North America was originally produced in Enfield, Connecticut.  Labor and shipping costs helped dictate the production facility moving (or rather, a new facility being built) to Mexico.

More recently, a large portion of the North America adminstrative staff was laid off in Connecticut and outsourced to Mexico as well.

Personally, it was disappointing when production moved (but that was closer to the almost-bankruptcy period), but moving the human resources to Mexico on the last 12 months may be good business, but disappointing nonetheless.

They haven't yet outsourced their customer service.  I sincerely hope they see the value in maintaining its current excellent quality.
    KingAlanI77ncaachampsSprinkleOtterkiki180703ClutchPowerPitfall69TheMaker37
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 479
    Going back to the product, isn't this UCS quality material? I don't know how lego decides what is UCS but of assault on hoth made it in this should be pretty close.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,867
    SumoLego said:
    It's OK, as you can get your CMFs and Dimensions from China ...
    SumoLegokiki180703
    CCC said:
    SumoLego said:
    It's OK, as you can get your CMFs and Dimensions from China ...
    Lego floats, so I suppose one could build an ironic wall to keep out Chinese imports...
    SprinkleOtterkiki18070377ncaachampsTheMaker37
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 678
    KingAlanI said:
    SNIP
    There's a spot on customs forms for country of origin and I wonder what to put. I'd been going with Denmark since that's on the list and is LEGO HQ.
    SNIP

Unless US customs forms work a lot differently from Australian ones (which they undoubtedly might)  - Country of Origin is where the PACKAGE originated, NOT the Country of Origin of its contents. 
    Aanchirkiki180703KingAlanI
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 810
    I guess we will find out what happens, if/when it happens.

Is this trade tariff supposed to help with building said wall? I don't pay attention to the news, but you hear enough.

Anyway, if LEGO prices increase (even at our "cheap" US prices), then I would expect their profits to not be so high in the coming years. I already wait for sales because I think it is too expensive, so I don't know how you other countries can afford it.
    KingAlanI
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 376
    Sethro3 said:
    I guess we will find out what happens, if/when it happens.

Is this trade tariff supposed to help with building said wall? I don't pay attention to the news, but you hear enough.

Anyway, if LEGO prices increase (even at our "cheap" US prices), then I would expect their profits to not be so high in the coming years. I already wait for sales because I think it is too expensive, so I don't know how you other countries can afford it.
    It's supposed to be at least part of how he's going to "make Mexico pay for it"—never mind that since most of those costs would be passed on to American consumers, Americans would still end up paying for it in a roundabout way anyway.

A price hike could certainly have an impact on Lego's profits, but I don't see that being too devastating to the company. Moreso to the fans...
    77ncaachampsKingAlanI
    KingAlanI said:
    SNIP
    There's a spot on customs forms for country of origin and I wonder what to put. I'd been going with Denmark since that's on the list and is LEGO HQ.
    SNIP

Unless US customs forms work a lot differently from Australian ones (which they undoubtedly might)  - Country of Origin is where the PACKAGE originated, NOT the Country of Origin of its contents. 
    the country of origin field I speak of is part of item information
    when filling out customs forms online, it won't work if I leave the field blank.
    printing out labels is especially advantageous for international packages since it saves trouble of handwriting customs forms and waiting while the postal clerk transcribes it

• 12651265 Member Posts: 857
    That's a fake set.

The real set only contains Red, White and Blue bricks.
    ecmo47KingAlanIClutchPowerGremer
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,395
    Nope. Just white bricks.
    josekalel77ncaachampsKingAlanIClutchPowersid3windr
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 3,743 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 10,307
    edited January 31
    I just don't understand. Civilizations have been building walls since the beginning of time; either to mark boundaries or as monuments, but mostly to keep other people out and protect the people within. Why is "Trump's Wall" being scrutinized as much as it is? This is a fun thread, so I don't want to get too serious, I am just curious.

I mean the British have Hadrian's wall and that is a cultural icon, but it was meant to keep the "barbarians" out.
    gmonkey76ClutchPowerMooreFX
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 1,709
    For me, it's the "make them pay for it" aspect... that takes some confidence/bravado/hubris (pick one :-)
    77ncaachampsKingAlanIClutchPowerjosekalel
    Pitfall69 said:
    I just don't understand. Civilizations have been building walls since the beginning of time; either to mark boundaries or as monuments, but mostly to keep other people out and protect the people within. Why is "Trump's Wall" being scrutinized as much as it is? This is a fun thread, so I don't want to get too serious, I am just curious.

I mean the British have Hadrian's wall and that is a cultural icon, but it was meant to keep the "barbarians" out.
    In past times, walls were important for protection- keep the Huns out of China, for example.

However, civilizations have kinda moved past roving bands of barbarians. Would you like it if you neighbor across the street built a wall, just because he didn't want you coming on his property?

To say nothing of that fact that it's not going to work. At all. The Berlin Wall was one of the most defended walls ever (and tiny), and still several thousand escaped East Berlin through it...
    josekalel
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,067

Pitfall69 said:

In past times, walls were important for protection- keep the Huns out of China, for example.

However, civilizations have kinda moved past roving bands of barbarians. Would you like it if you neighbor across the street built a wall, just because he didn't want you coming on his property?

To say nothing of that fact that it's not going to work. At all. The Berlin Wall was one of the most defended walls ever (and tiny), and still several thousand escaped East Berlin through it...
    But, the best part is Americans are going to pay for it.... twice.
    Never mind that he can build the biggest 'best, hugest' wall that Trump will (likely) slap his name on. Heck, paint it gold too Donnie, it is not going to stop the drug cartels from tunneling under it like they have been tunneling under various other parts of the wall for at least a decade (by the way, where the real dangerous people are moving through).
    Honestly if Donnie was really serious about stopping people from illegally crossing a border he would punish the American's who hire the illegal immigrants under the table knowing full well they can exploit that labor force.
    But no, lets build a wall which will hurt our economy far more than leaving it the way it is. Lets treat the symptom and not problem, that always works, right?
    77ncaachampsSprinkleOtterKingAlanIClutchPowerBumblepantsjosekalel
    Pitfall69 said:

Well, the guy across the street tried to build a "wall" in his front yard and the association shot him down and he had to remove what he already had up; he is Chinese by the way ;) From your tone, you seem to insinuate that building a wall is somewhat, shall I say...racist? I have doors and windows attached to my house and I lock them and set the alarm before I go to sleep; I assume you do the same. Why? To keep others out who might want to venture into my home. It isn't because I hate the people in my neighborhood or everyone else. By the the way, I used to live in a gated community with a security guard, I assume it was to keep our community safe and not because everyone in our community hated everyone who did not live in our community. 

Mexico deports more people who illegally enter their country than the US does, for the very same reasons they are condemning the US for. 
    ecmo47gmonkey76LegogramClutchPowerMooreFX
    I did not vote for Trump and I think the "wall" is a bit extreme, but I do think we need to secure our borders; whatever we are doing now is not effective. I do think saying that "Mexico is going to pay for it" is laughable. I am just trying to be objective here. Had Obama or even Hillary Clinton (if she had been elected) suggested building a wall; would it have been met with such opposition or is it because it is Trump?
    77ncaachampsKingAlanIClutchPowerMooreFX
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 1,713
    Pitfall69 said:

and if it had been Obama's idea, would everyone applaud him now?
    Fauch said:
    Pitfall69 said:

and if it had been Obama's idea, would everyone applaud him now?
    That is why I am so curious? I would hazzard a guess that those opposing Trump, would have not had as much opposition or any if Obama wanted to build a wall. I think at this point, no matter what Trump does will be met with extreme opposition. In fact; if he decided to give each and every American 1 million dollars, people would still hate him. That's just my opinion of course. Like I said, I did not vote for him, but he is our President until he is either voted out of office, impeached, resigns or God forbid...assassinated. 
    edited February 1
    The IDEA of a wall appeals to people. It makes them feel safe knowing there's a wall.
    But it's the IDEA that a wall can keep people or things out, people buy into it.

The insulated, homogenous, small communities all over the US who feel fear of waves coming over a border are the main supporters of this IDEA.

The larger, diverse cities that truly have to deal with the issues of these crossers are mostly against this IDEA. They see diversity as a strength.

Why go to a small, rural town that has nothing to offer?
    Head to the big cities or, like mentioned above, places where people will hire you.
    (In which case, there's a stench of hypocrisy and "labor usury".)

Fear is a crippling disease. Hate exploits the fear.

Back to Hadrian's Wall, though it has clear historical relevance, the $$$ (or pounds) it brings in from tourists is the real gold of that Wall.

(funny thing: as a Californian, I frequented IL and WI as a student and was mindblown that they did not have fences in many neighborhoods outlining properties. There was a tree here and there but nary a hedge, rock wall, etc. to be seen.)
    Aanchir said:

Pitfall69 said:

But, the best part is Americans are going to pay for it.... twice.
    Never mind that he can build the biggest 'best, hugest' wall that Trump will (likely) slap his name on. Heck, paint it gold too Donnie, it is not going to stop the drug cartels from tunneling under it like they have been tunneling under various other parts of the wall for at least a decade (by the way, where the real dangerous people are moving through).
    Honestly if Donnie was really serious about stopping people from illegally crossing a border he would punish the American's who hire the illegal immigrants under the table knowing full well they can exploit that labor force.
    But no, lets build a wall which will hurt our economy far more than leaving it the way it is. Lets treat the symptom and not problem, that always works, right?
    Not only are we having to pay for it ourselves, it's also UNBELIEVABLY expensive. It could cost $15 billion or more, all for nothing more than a feel-good vanity project that won't actually have any meaningful impact on illegal immigration (which by the end of Obama's term was already at the lowest rate it's been in decades, with record numbers of deporations).

Our con-artist-in-chief probably defends the expense by saying it creates jobs and puts money into the U.S. economy (and of course, by promising that Mexico will pay for it, without any explanation how or why). But if we want the federal government to pour money into a public works project, we might as well spend it on infrastructure investments that are actually useful, like rebuilding our crumbling roads and bridges, building railroads to relieve traffic congestion, etc.

And of course, the psychological effect this promise has had on our country is chilling… so many minority families, even ones who came here legally, or whose families have been here for generations, being taunted in public and told that they have no place in Trump's America (the same sort of thing that happened in Great Britain post-Brexit). But Trump never makes any meaningful attempts to distance himself from this. Heck, he himself has thrown out accusations that Mexican immigrants are violent criminals, despite plenty of statistics showing that immigrants are less likely to commit violent crimes than native-born citizens. He's never been one to let reality get in the way of a good sales pitch.

People want to be safe, I get that. The thing you need to be asking is whether this wall (which varies in scale according to how Trump is feeling at the moment, just like his claimed net worth). would really make anybody safer, whether the danger he wants you to be scared of is actually any worse than the everyday risks you take for granted, and whether this supposed remedy would ever be worth the cost even if it worked. Promises are only good if you can back them up.
    But see; that's the crux of any argument for or against; if it involves me or that I care, I will have an opinion, but it also goes the other way. Statistics show that most of the crimes commited by illegal immigrants from Mexico are along the southwest border. Drug trafficking is the biggest crime, but murders are realitvely low. Because you are not affected by any of the crimes commited, you might be against the wall, but if you are one of the families that WERE affected, you might be in favor of the wall. You are correct though, I don't think the wall will be as effective as Trump thinks it will be, but if one life is saved, isn't it worth consideration at least? No, because why should you care what happens to those families whose loved ones have been raped and killed, they are just a small statistic in the grand scheme of things. As long as we get our Lego cheap, that's all we really care about isn't it? 
    MooreFX
    Anyway, it was only inevitable that this thread was going to blow up. It was just a matter of time. I am solely to blame :(  It is nice to hear other people's thoughts though. I don't necessarily agree or disagree and was mostly trying to get a gage on what everyone thought. You may now start throwing rotten fruit at me.
    SumoLegoClutchPower77ncaachampsMaffyDMooreFX
    Pitfall69 said:
    Pitfall69 said:

Well, the guy across the street tried to build a "wall" in his front yard and the association shot him down and he had to remove what he already had up; he is Chinese by the way ;) From your tone, you seem to insinuate that building a wall is somewhat, shall I say...racist? I have doors and windows attached to my house and I lock them and set the alarm before I go to sleep; I assume you do the same. Why? To keep others out who might want to venture into my home. It isn't because I hate the people in my neighborhood or everyone else. By the the way, I used to live in a gated community with a security guard, I assume it was to keep our community safe and not because everyone in our community hated everyone who did not live in our community. 

Mexico deports more people who illegally enter their country than the US does, for the very same reasons they are condemning the US for. 
    Shot him down? That sounds quite painful, to be shot, and fall off a wall?

It strikes me as racist, yes. But even more so as a complete and total waste.
    KingAlanI
    MaffyD said:
    For me, it's the "make them pay for it" aspect... that takes some confidence/bravado/hubris (pick one :-)
    arrogance, audacity, delusion ...

It strikes me as racist, yes. But even more so as a complete and total waste.

I agree it's immoral and impractical

MaffyD
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,256
    edited February 1
    Pitfall69 said:

But see; that's the crux of any argument for or against; if it involves me or that I care, I will have an opinion, but it also goes the other way. Statistics show that most of the crimes commited by illegal immigrants from Mexico are along the southwest border. Drug trafficking is the biggest crime, but murders are realitvely low. Because you are not affected by any of the crimes commited, you might be against the wall, but if you are one of the families that WERE affected, you might be in favor of the wall. You are correct though, I don't think the wall will be as effective as Trump thinks it will be, but if one life is saved, isn't it worth consideration at least? No, because why should you care what happens to those families whose loved ones have been raped and killed, they are just a small statistic in the grand scheme of things. As long as we get our Lego cheap, that's all we really care about isn't it? 
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put a price tag on a human life, and I'm hardly a penny pincher when it comes to LEGO — I'm well aware that the United States has skated by with disproportionately low LEGO prices for a long time, that I can't count on that always being true, and that if US LEGO prices do go up it'll probably be long overdue. But there are ways to allocate 15 billion dollars in tax revenue that would be much, MUCH more effective at saving lives than a largely symbolic wall.

No evidence has been presented that the wall will be at all effective at stopping illegal immigration, drug trafficking, etc. It's a huge investment of money based on nothing more than feelings about what walls are supposed to do. The federal government already spent well over $2 billion on fencing along the border based on the same sort of feelings, and the project was shuttered after 670 miles because it was discovered that there were better, more effective ways to invest in border security.

Just because I don't believe Trump's promises about the wall or like the way he demonizes immigrants (…or Muslims, or refugees, or journalists, or scientists, or people who live in inner cities) doesn't mean I don't care about border security. It's that he hasn't given me any reason to believe his solution would actually work any better than other tried-and-tested security measures, let alone other hypothetical new security measures. If some huckster told me they had a miracle cure for cancer and I expected them to show me some evidence, it wouldn't mean I don't care about cancer.

Anyway, getting back to LEGO, if anybody's curious about the history and scope of LEGO production in Mexico, you can read about it here: https://www.lego.com/en-us/legohistory/lego-production-in-monterrey-mexico

SprinkleOtterPitfall69ClutchPower77ncaachampsnatro220catwrangler
    I'm glad this hasn't resorted to name calling yet people are able to post their opinions with good reasons.

I applaud this discourse.

now how about those Mexican Lego we're trying to save? ;)
    Pitfall69ClutchPower
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,067
    Pitfall69 said:
    I did not vote for Trump and I think the "wall" is a bit extreme, but I do think we need to secure our borders; whatever we are doing now is not effective. I do think saying that "Mexico is going to pay for it" is laughable. I am just trying to be objective here. Had Obama or even Hillary Clinton (if she had been elected) suggested building a wall; would it have been met with such opposition or is it because it is Trump?
    IMO Clinton or Obama would have never proposed such a waste of money and resources, and would have been met with the same very skepticism and ire that is going on with Trump now.
    Think of it this way, how many times did Obama have to veto a 'Wall' bill proposed by the majority Republicans in office for the past 6 years? So I'm guessing most Republicans even think this is a bad idea.

Does it stop illegal immigrants? Sure, but I'm guessing so would Congress and the Senate doing what we pay them to do, and a .10 cent piece of paper creating stronger enforcement and punishments for any US company hiring illegal immigrants, but then our tomatoes may cost an extra .50 cents, and our boxed meats will cost another dollar or two, which would probably still be cheaper than a ridiculous wall between us and Mexico which really does not stop the problem.
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 798
    More drugs and people come in via boat and air than land.  After watching Narcos on Netflix and reading up on the cocaine smuggling operations into the US... l oh l. 15-22 billion USD wall will stop nothing and have severe, negative ramifications that will be felt for decades.
    I agree guys, I was kinda playing devil's advocate here. Obviously, there are plenty of people that want a "wall" (just not this thread), so I just wanted to put forward the "pro wall" argument :) I definitely think that money would be better spent elsewhere. Our infrastructure is crumbling and that should take priority. 

The Hoover Dam was met with plenty of opposition before it was approved by Congress. It took 5 years to approve the construction of the dam and another 3 years before construction began. 
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 3,949
    edited February 1
    If a wall project did get approved, does anyone for or against it honestly think it won't end up going way over budget? Here is how I imagine it going down: One nice, really impressive section gets completed in short order and a big ceremony of some sort with Don taking publicity photos and making celebratory proclamations. The rest of the wall project will take years and years, waste will abound, and long after Don is out of office it will still be incomplete.
    Pitfall69 said:
    I agree guys, I was kinda playing devil's advocate here. Obviously, there are plenty of people that want a "wall" (just not this thread), so I just wanted to put forward the "pro wall" argument :) I definitely think that money would be better spent elsewhere. Our infrastructure is crumbling and that should take priority. 

The Hoover Dam was met with plenty of opposition before it was approved by Congress. It took 5 years to approve the construction of the dam and another 3 years before construction began. 
    We were against keeping water out? lol ;p
    Pitfall69
    Hahaha, no. It was the biggest construction project of its kind in the US and people didn't want to spend money on a project that would only affect a small portion of the population. The logic that building a wall is racist could be used with the Hoover Dam. No consideration was made in favor of all the Native American tribes that the dam affected. The Hoover dam has also negatively affected the environment. 
    Pitfall69 said:
    Hahaha, no. It was the biggest construction project of its kind in the US and people didn't want to spend money on a project that would only affect a small portion of the population. The logic that building a wall is racist could be used with the Hoover Dam. No consideration was made in favor of all the Native American tribes that the dam affected. The Hoover dam has also negatively affected the environment. 
    Not to mention all of the dams that have affected watersheds, river systems, etc.

Pitfall69
  • josekaleljosekalel Rio Grande Valley, TexasMember Posts: 653
    Pitfall69 said:

As a Mexican immigrant who lives a few miles away from the Rio Grande River and the already built fence (which, by the way, in a lot of cases has no 'gates' and sometimes is 'half' the height it should be...) it's the wrong approach to the issue.

Number one, the "barbarians" (most of them, and I know you were not trying to imply immigrants are barbarians) trying to cross do so because in their home country (mostly Mexico, of course) they don't have the opportunity to better themselves, or they live in dangerous countries where living is not what it once was (Mexico, Central America). Some of this violence done because of drugs...and let's not forget the US is the leading (or so it's been claimed by studies) consumer of illegal drugs...

You should note that although many people don't think this way, most of Latin American countries have been affected by US policies, whether it is in its capitalist ways, neo-liberalism, or when the US imposed a 'democratic' government which ended up not being democratic and ended up in dictatorships...so when people say "not my problem" (which technically people shouldn't say because most claim they are religious and you should "walk a mile in other people's shoes"), it's kinda like throwing a stone at a window, breaking it, and saying that fixing it or the fact that rain might go into the building because the window is broken, is not your problem...

To add to the problem, Americans relying on manufacturing jobs is the wrong idea for the US economy. The rust belt is gone, Detroit's car manufacturing is gone, but we didn't have the government or what it took to move on with the times...

Funny thing is, when www.builditinchrome.com was open, I started 'building' the fence that's already in place...

TL;DR: #iloveLEGO
    catwranglerClutchPower
    Pitfall69 said:
    No, no, no. The Hoover Dam was built around the Allspark. All that radiation leaking into the water wouldn't have been good for the Native Americans.

I saw that in a documentary, once...
    Pitfall69monkeyhangerjosekalelgmonkey76SumoLegoClutchPowerBumblepants
    edited February 1
    josekalel said:
    Pitfall69 said:

As a Mexican immigrant who lives a few miles away from the Rio Grande River and the already built fence (which, by the way, in a lot of cases has no 'gates' and sometimes is 'half' the height it should be...) it's the wrong approach to the issue.

Number one, the "barbarians" (most of them, and I know you were not trying to imply immigrants are barbarians) trying to cross do so because in their home country (mostly Mexico, of course) they don't have the opportunity to better themselves, or they live in dangerous countries where living is not what it once was (Mexico, Central America). Some of this violence done because of drugs...and let's not forget the US is the leading (or so it's been claimed by studies) consumer of illegal drugs...

You should note that although many people don't think this way, most of Latin American countries have been affected by US policies, whether it is in its capitalist ways, neo-liberalism, or when the US imposed a 'democratic' government which ended up not being democratic and ended up in dictatorships...so when people say "not my problem" (which technically people shouldn't say because most claim they are religious and you should "walk a mile in other people's shoes"), it's kinda like throwing a stone at a window, breaking it, and saying that fixing it or the fact that rain might go into the building because the window is broken, is not your problem...

To add to the problem, Americans relying on manufacturing jobs is the wrong idea for the US economy. The rust belt is gone, Detroit's car manufacturing is gone, but we didn't have the government or what it took to move on with the times...

Funny thing is, when www.builditinchrome.com was open, I started 'building' the fence that's already in place...

TL;DR: #iloveLEGO
    No, I totally understand where you are coming from. A wall is probably not the best way to handle illegal immigration. You also have to remember that Ellis Island turned away over 250,000 immigrants back in the day. The US didn't let them ALL in. Give me your tired, your poor, your huddles masses...er...well...not ALL of em.

As far as car manufacturing, I live in the Detroit area and business is booming; it isn't completely dried up. I have to look it up, but US car manufacturers sales averaged like 15 million total sales over the last 20 years or so, but last year they hit over 18 million. I'd say that is prwtty good.
    edited February 1
    Pitfall69 said:
    No, no, no. The Hoover Dam was built around the Allspark. All that radiation leaking into the water wouldn't have been good for the Native Americans.

I saw that in a documentary, once...
    I saw someone have a baby at the Hoover Dam once...wait...maybe that was a movie. I know I definitely seen it destroyed in an earthquake...er...wait...I think that was a movie too ;)

I better just keep my 'dam' mouth shut before I get in trouble ;)
    ClutchPowerdavetheoxygenman