Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

71042 Pirates of the Caribbean D2C

Comments

• RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersPosts: 1,561
    I think it will be likely seen at New York Toy Fair. The film hits cinemas in the UK in May so a bit of a lead in to get people excited for "POC 5: Why did we make this?" 
    Are you looking for an answer other than "money?"

It was more rhetorical. But it does mean you can shorten it to "Pirates of Caribbean 5: Why?" To go along side: Transformers 5: Stop it; Star Wars Episode 600 Are you not bored of this? Avengers: This is just things hitting each other, but it is still better than DC, and of course the most anticipated film; Justice League: This is what happens when execs think they know what a superhero film should be.
    BumblepantsLostInTranslationGlacierfalls265Kerregmonkey76AllBrickClutchPower
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKPosts: 4,978
    ^Don't forget the Fast & Farcical franchise too. 
    BumblepantsGlacierfalls265Redbullgivesuwindgmonkey76SumoLegoAllBrickClutchPowerJackad7BrownRiceMafia
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia, BulgariaPosts: 3,660
    I am still baffled about the new xXx movie. I had forgotten those even existed. The whole trailer was like a high budget parody of goofy action movies.
    Glacierfalls265sid3windrSumoLegoAllBrickClutchPowerJackad7brumey
  • Glacierfalls265Glacierfalls265 USAPosts: 163
    But you can't forget, at least xXx State of the Union had a fight taking place on a train! 
    Bumblepants
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia, BulgariaPosts: 3,660
    But you can't forget, at least xXx State of the Union had a fight taking place on a train! 
    I can and I did.
    LostInTranslationMasterBeefyKerreSethro3
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaPosts: 494
    My friends have come to associate Johnny Depp = Eyeliner now, after watching him in POTC, Dark Shadows, and Alice in Wonderland lol
     Probably cause he wears eyeliner off and on set haha
  • tmgm528tmgm528 Posts: 286
    Triple xXx Brickheads anyone? :P
  • willobee498willobee498 CanadalandPosts: 221
    That's like nine X's! The world isn't ready for something so extreme.
    BumblepantsMasterBeefyricecake
  • lentillentil WisconsinPosts: 27
    I'm excited about a new pirate ship release too. I missed all the previous ones, sadly, and the aftermarket prices are ridiculous on the Queen Anne's Revenge & Black Pearl, and really all the pirate ships - which does show how popular they are.

I think you are correct in surmising that the ship will be The Silent Mary, @CaptainPirateMan . According to leaked info about the film, The Silent Mary is Captain Salazar's ship, and it has been stuck in the Devil's Triangle for many years, causing it to become dilapidated and weathered. Crucially, it has a broken mast. (Check out this YouTube clip which shows a scene being filmed: . You can clearly see the broken mast in the foreground.) This might explain the "broken" appearance of the Lego ship in the fuzzy picture. I'm not sure the ship will have an actual "breaking" mechanism as some have speculated - seems more likely that it will simply be a partial wreck already.

Personally, I'm not too thrilled with the idea of a "shabby" look to the Lego model, but I'll reserve judgment until I actually see it. Honestly, no matter what it looks like I'll probably be getting it... because it's a lego pirate ship! yay!

catwranglerAddicted2OxygenClutchPowerRedbullgivesuwind
    If Lego could pull off a proper ghost looking ship I'll happily buy it on day one. It would be a fantastic addition. 

Personally, I think a ghost theme to the pirate line up would be great:

Haunted Wreck - small ship wreck with ghost and frightened soldier.

Shipwrecked Ghost boat- similar to shipwrecked raft but more beaten up - three ghost pirates.

Trade ship attack - small boat attacked by ghosts - two traders and two ghost pirates.

Soldiers fort - medium fort with a admiral, two soldiers and two ghost pirates Inc one captain. 

Pirate host ship - large pirate ship - four ghost pirates and captain, captured admiral and two soldiers. 
    catwranglerJooTog
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USPosts: 7,713
    edited February 5
    I have no problem with D2C set being a 'damaged' ship IF LEGO also gives us enough pieces to make it look 'undamaged' as well. Yeah, LEGO has done well with previous such sets in the past, but I think Red Beard Runner had enough parts to look good, with 'battle damage' as an option. Plus I think if this set is some larger price, like $150 or over, it should be able to look nice on a table or shelf somewhere.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkPosts: 6,872
    I always thought the Dutchman really needed the D2C/ $150+ treatment.

A one-off ship from the new movie just seems odd as choice.  Do we have any idea if the Dutchman appears?  Since Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley are listed in the cast... er... payroll... my assumption is that he didn't magically escape being the Dutchman's captain.

(Which, by the way, why wouldn't she get on the ship with their son and be a miserable family together?)

The Silent Mary just doesn't have the pedigree of the Helicarrier, GBHQ, the two Simpsons buildings, Temple of Airjitsu, Tumbler, etc...
    gmonkey76MasterBeefy
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USPosts: 7,713
    SumoLego said:

A one-off ship from the new movie just seems odd as choice.  Do we have any idea if the Dutchman appears?  Since Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley are listed in the cast... er... payroll... my assumption is that he didn't magically escape being the Dutchman's captain.

(Which, by the way, why wouldn't she get on the ship with their son and be a miserable family together?)

The Silent Mary just doesn't have the pedigree of the Helicarrier, GBHQ, the two Simpsons buildings, Temple of Airjitsu, Tumbler, etc...
    Yeah, when I saw the cast list, I was thinking maybe we will finally see a Dutchman made. Still hoping for that. Wonder if there will be a 'smaller' ship set as well, or if this one is it? If so, seems a bit silly to only have the one ship when the last ships were out some time ago.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesPosts: 2,151
    SumoLego said:

I'm not totally sure what you mean by "pedigree". From the context of your post I'd think you were talking about stuff that had been around long enough to make a lasting impression, but then Temple of Airjitzu wouldn't seem to belong on that list… it only made its TV debut in Ninjago Season 5 in summer 2015, a couple months before the set came out.

Anyway, while the Silent Mary is not as iconic as some of the other PotC ships, I do think that a ghost ship would be pretty good subject matter for a D2C set… almost like a mashup of the Imperial Flagship and Haunted House. An adult building level could be well-suited to really capturing that sort of decrepitude. Same applies to the Dutchman, though, I suppose.

I feel like there's a decent chance of this set being officially revealed at New York Toy Fair next weekend. At that point we can probably better decide whether the decision to go with a less familiar ship paid off or not.
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesPosts: 276
    Aanchir said:
    SumoLego said:

I'm not totally sure what you mean by "pedigree". From the context of your post I'd think you were talking about stuff that had been around long enough to make a lasting impression, but then Temple of Airjitzu wouldn't seem to belong on that list… it only made its TV debut in Ninjago Season 5 in summer 2015, a couple months before the set came out.

Anyway, while the Silent Mary is not as iconic as some of the other PotC ships, I do think that a ghost ship would be pretty good subject matter for a D2C set… almost like a mashup of the Imperial Flagship and Haunted House. An adult building level could be well-suited to really capturing that sort of decrepitude. Same applies to the Dutchman, though, I suppose.

I feel like there's a decent chance of this set being officially revealed at New York Toy Fair next weekend. At that point we can probably better decide whether the decision to go with a less familiar ship paid off or not.
    NYTF is in two weeks, not one. The wait is killing me.
    Aanchir
    edited February 5
    I'm sure we'll be not surprised but not entirely disappointed when it's the Black Pearl.

Whoop-dee-blah.

When I mean pedigree, I mean something that would appeal to adult builders, and be immediately recognizable to kids and non-AFOLs.

The Temple of Airjitsu is arguably made specifically for AFOLs interested in building something closer to Medieval/Feudal Asian architecture.  That's why I bought three...
    gmonkey76Jackad7catwrangler
    (And yes, I used 'Asian' instead of 'Oriental', because being P.C. is fun for me.  And I'm not entirely sure if 'Oriental' has been deemed offensive.  And... being of that heritage, I don't think I've ever met a person of my shared heritage offended by the term 'Oriental'.)

Random sermon over!
    gmonkey76ricecakeBumblepantsYodalicious
  • blogzillyblogzilly Columbus, OhioPosts: 539
    Just showed it in the Super Bowl commercial
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesPosts: 803
  • madejp86madejp86 IllinoisPosts: 148
    Anyone else watch the new trailer?

madforLEGOSirBenBumblepantscatwranglerClutchPower
    I've never been so confused as what the heck the movie is about, or why I would want to see it.

Atleast 'Stranger Tides' had a simple, predictable plot that had a pirate I had heard of.  Blackbeard was pretty compelling as a character.
    gmonkey76Jackad7
    edited February 6
    There is a pretty rich history of pirates (Captain Kidd, Sir Francis Drake, Captain Morgan, the other Barbossa, etc.) and the previous installments did a pretty good job of re-imagining old pirate tales into a loosely coherent universe.

(Angelica is a rough approximation of Anne Bonney, Jack is clearly Calico Jack, etc.  There were subtle nods to other historic pirate figures in At World's End.  And the Circe/Davy Jones tale was simple but wove together the Dutchman, Jones and supernatural aspects of the PotC series.)

It seems this is another in a line of weird Javier Bardem villains, but with a pirate hat.  (SkyFall, No Country for Old Men, The Counselor.)  I'd rather just watch one of those movies again...
    catwrangler
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinPosts: 1,086
    SumoLego said:
    There is a pretty rich history of pirates (Captain Kidd, Sir Francis Drake, Captain Morgan, the other Barbossa, etc.) and the previous installments did a pretty good job of re-imagining old pirate tales into a loosely coherent universe.

(Angelica is a rough approximation of Anne Bonney, Jack is clearly Calico Jack, etc.  There were subtle nods to other historic pirate figures in At World's End.  And the Circe/Davy Jones tale was simple but wove together the Dutchman, Jones and supernatural aspects of the PotC series.)

It seems this is another in a line of weird Javier Bardem villains, but with a pirate hat.  (SkyFall, No Country for Old Men, The Counselor.)  I'd rather just watch one of those movies again...
    My personal favorite Pirate, Black Bart, is referenced when they read the Pirates' Code (They call him by his real name...Bartholomew Roberts. He was one of the first pirates to use the code of rules for his crew).
    Exactly - a tale of Black Bart trapped in the Bermula Triangle would be a place to start.
    CaptainPirateMandannyrww
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoPosts: 641
    Just found the inspiration for POTC 5 
    They just showed a commercial of the film during the Super Bowl. Showed the Silent Mary. Here's a shot of the ship from side view. All bent up. Sure matches that out of focus box.

How in the world are they gonna pull that off
    SumoLegoJern92bobabricksBrownRiceMafia
    (Just use the MegaBlok design - leave out half of the pieces.)
    pharmjodJackad7YodaliciouscatwranglerPitfall69DedgeckoClutchPowerbobabricksBrownRiceMafia
  • nkx1nkx1 Posts: 700
    edited February 6
    I'm curious why would they model that junker (the ship to the left) when they could have done an awesome Flying Dutchman, bigger/better Black Pearl, etc. I guess we'll all have to wait and see what the final product is in order to see if it was a good decision or not...
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Posts: 403
    What in the what was going on in that trailer. I saw it during the game and it felt like they took a bunch of scenes from the other movies and reshot them with new actors. After watching the trailer I honestly thought I had just watched a montage of clips from the old movies that I didn't remember very well until I rewatched the trailer online. 
    pharmjoddspigel
  • CCCCCC UKPosts: 14,107
    Well it looks like they got people talking.
    edited February 6

@CCC but not in a good way.

As far as I can tell the plot is CGI thing hits another thing. Then a thing blows up a thing. Then Geoffrey Rush, then guy in a hat. Then more things hitting things. Then terrible Spanish lady from the last film. Then Jesus and his disciples. Then boat on an edge of a thing. Then Orlando Bland. Then Black face Jack Sparrow - possibly Jack Sparrow's racist brother Gary.

BumblepantsflordpharmjoddspigelJackad7Glacierfalls265MynattBrownRiceMafia
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKPosts: 2,165
    I was hoping for a Flying Dutchman, it doesn't seem to be the case. I remember that Jason from The Brick Show mentioned LEGO had a 'D2C' Flying Dutchman ship designed however due to the lack of the sales they scrapped the design. Nevertheless if that bent ship is indeed the source material for the new set then I think it would be a worthy alternative.

@CCC but not in a good way.

As far as I can tell the plot is CGI thing hits another thing. Then a thing blows up a thing. Then Geoffrey Rush, then guy in a hat. Then more things hitting things. Then terrible Spanish lady from the last film. Then Jesus and his disciples. Then boat on an edge of a thing. Then Orlando Bland. Then Black face Jack Sparrow - possibly Jack Sparrow's racist brother Gary.

I cannot tell the story from the trailer either. But I quite like that - I hate films where the whole plot is given by the trailer / obvious story line and there is nothing but details to fill in in the movie. Obviously the part I can make out is that The Dead have taken over, and there will be battles between men and skeletons. So a bit like the classic scene in Jason and the Argonauts. I quite enjoyed the trailer even though I don't like the franchise. Although I have to say I haven't watched anything since the first movie and won't be seeing this film. From the trailer, I cannot even tell if Captain Jack is on the side of the Dead or not.

MasterBeefyDedgeckoReesesPieces

@CCC I know what you mean about plot spoilers - it seems to be a hang over from the 90's where they just explained everything in the trailer in voice overs.

However, this just seems to be a throw everything at the screen and hope. it should try and give you a flavour of the film and draw you in. The last film was a incoherent mess and I am not sure this trailer says that this will be any different.

• CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganPosts: 145
    Maybe Lego will give you the option to make two different Silent Marys, the broken down ghost version and a cleaned up proper version. Of the $250 is to be believed, there has to be more to this ship than we saw in the trailers.
  • A.BrickovskyA.Brickovsky PolandPosts: 55
    Ghost ship would be much preferred. After all, we've already had a whole bunch of "proper ships", including the last PotC wave and even two D2C ones if we count both Imperial Flagship and Sea Cow. 
  • SMCSMC UKPosts: 927

I don't think Lego will go with single haul piece with stickers or even printed holes. Just look at the ghost shark, they could have just printed it but they gave us a new mold which is rare for a D2C. If Lego make a brick built haul then it might explain why the ship does not look much larger than a normal ship but still might have a large piece count and large price.

However, this just seems to be a throw everything at the screen and hope. it should try and give you a flavour of the film and draw you in. The last film was a incoherent mess and I am not sure this trailer says that this will be any different.

So this one will be random crap with loads of CGI action? I might actually go. :-)

RedbullgivesuwindSumoLego
  • mmozzanommozzano UKPosts: 346
    No interest in the latest PoTC film, the last couple were awful but I'd be all over a ghost pirate ship. 
    I forgot what happens in the 3rd one so maybe I should stop reading this thread and go rewatch it..
  • Is it possible that the set is 2 ships? Possibly along the lines of blogzillys screen cap?
    Sorry about the odd double post. I swear when I looked at this thread a bit later A) my text only post wasn't there and B) didn't see a screen cap was already up.

Must be having some loading problems.
    @CCC to be fair the music and CGI are pretty good in the franchise. It's just the rest of it. The first two are good popcorn films. 
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganPosts: 145
    I personally like all 4 films, and would say they are all "good". I wouldn't classify any of them in the "bad" category. Honestly I would say the 3rd one is the worst of the bunch. The 4th has a bad rap because of who is NOT in it. As for the story it's self, I think it more cohesive than 3. Killing off the kracken off screen, really was a bad move for 3 imo.
  • natro220natro220 USAPosts: 474

I thought the first 2 were great and the second 2 were watchable fun date night movies.  Better than Transformers, Fast and Furious, and other similar action franchises.  I'll give the new movie the benefit of a viewing before I lay judgment based on one slapped together trailer.

Oh, and the new set is obviously that mangled up ghost ship. I'm really curious how they're going to recreate something so unstable looking and make it so it doesn't constantly fall apart.

• Glacierfalls265Glacierfalls265 USAPosts: 163
    I wasn't too thrilled by the second and third, they were enjoyable, but I actually liked the fourth. Probably because of the Fountain of Youth and the mermaids! I think Whitecap Bay was what I got for Christmas that year lol, it was my favorite set for a full four months! 
    CaptainPirateMan
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAPosts: 2,054
    I'm more annoyed that they changed the actual ride to be all about the movies and jack sparrow.
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Posts: 336
    I wouldn't mind at all if this set was the POTC ride from Disney World. It would go well with the castle. 
    CaptainPirateManYodaliciousLEGO_Dad77