You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

71042 Pirates of the Caribbean D2C

Comments

• CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 140
    I wouldn't mind at all if this set was the POTC ride from Disney World. It would go well with the castle. 
    That's actually a FUN idea.
    LEGO_Dad77
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 6,570
    Jungle Cruise, please?

(But a proper scale Space Mountain would be awesome!)
    77ncaachampsYodaliciousClutchPower
  • thedingman5thedingman5 Great Lakes, USAMember Posts: 193
    natro220 said:

Oh, and the new set is obviously that mangled up ghost ship. I'm really curious how they're going to recreate something so unstable looking and make it so it doesn't constantly fall apart.

I'll guess ~2,700 total parts, with 1,150 of them technic pins and connectors.  Cue outrage.
  • lentillentil WisconsinMember Posts: 13
    I think a lego model of a WDW ride could be pretty awesome too - maybe they will do that soon with the castle having come out last year? Not sure how Space Mountain would work @SumoLego - it's um... completely dark inside that ride. Splash Mountain or Big Thunder would be pretty awesome though, or for sure Pirates or Jungle Cruise! Haunted Mansion would be incredible too... Not sure how well they can do roller coaster type of things in lego though - maybe Splash would be easier to implement b/c it could be a tube slide (with no water, presumably).

Anyway, back to pirates discussion: I love the design of the Silent Mary for the film, and the trailer actually looks really enticing to me (love those skeleton creatures... and Johnny Depp looks awesome in eyeliner, or even covered in mud ;-), but I'm not sure how it's going to work as a Lego set. Will have to see the design to say... but again I'll probably buy it no matter what, since I missed out on all the earlier POTC sets and am still kicking myself.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,705
    natro220 said:

Oh, and the new set is obviously that mangled up ghost ship. I'm really curious how they're going to recreate something so unstable looking and make it so it doesn't constantly fall apart.

I'll guess ~2,700 total parts, with 1,150 of them technic pins and connectors.  Cue outrage.
    And cue QAR and BP prices going to even more ridiculous heights. Once again, I'll be banging my head for selling off my extra copies way too early.
    BumblepantsCaptainPirateManPitfall69SumoLego
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,101
    natro220 said:

Incidentally, why are so many AFOLs apprehensive about Technic in this day and age? I saw a complaint about this specifically with regard to Star Wars sets on Facebook not long ago. I don't see too many complaints about this kind of repetition in System sets like the Tower Bridge and Big Ben except in terms of how time-consuming they are to build. But with Technic there seems to be this prevailing notion that it's less useful than System (which is obviously untrue — if the set designers can find so many practical uses for Technic there's no reason MOCists can't do the same).
    TechnicNick
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 722
    I don't know if this was mentioned but it'll be $200
    ClutchPowerDedgecko
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,148
    Aanchir said:
    natro220 said:

Incidentally, why are so many AFOLs apprehensive about Technic in this day and age? I saw a complaint about this specifically with regard to Star Wars sets on Facebook not long ago. I don't see too many complaints about this kind of repetition in System sets like the Tower Bridge and Big Ben except in terms of how time-consuming they are to build. But with Technic there seems to be this prevailing notion that it's less useful than System (which is obviously untrue — if the set designers can find so many practical uses for Technic there's no reason MOCists can't do the same).
    I don't know. Some Technic models hit the mark... Others I don't feel do. Like the $200 Unimog that only has a pneumatic arm...
    I like my Technic models to be fully functional (like the BWE, or the 4x4 Crawler, or that amazing excavator from ~5 years back), not just a look-at-it piece, like the Porche.
    TechnicNick
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 746
    CM4S said:
    Source?
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,262
    Aanchir: Basing perceived value on price vs piece count, when you get a 2000 piece set for £200 that's all cheese slopes and technic pins, you're bound to feel a bit ripped off. Technic parts are all very useful but most of the piece count does go on many tiny parts.
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,198
    Dedgecko said:
    CM4S said:
    Source?

It's @CM4S , he is the source.
    wardmgmonkey76bobabricksJern92
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,023
    Aanchir said:
    There have been some great technic parts appearing in system sets recently, that help AFOLs see the usefulness of technic. For example - the Airjitzu fliers have some good pieces.

Aanchir: Basing perceived value on price vs piece count, when you get a 2000 piece set for £200 that's all cheese slopes and technic pins, you're bound to feel a bit ripped off. Technic parts are all very useful but most of the piece count does go on many tiny parts.

Technic sets don't really follow the 10p / part rule though. eg Bucket excavator 3927 pieces £190.

• AyliffeAyliffe the UK innit?Member Posts: 184
    CM4S said:
    How in the world are they gonna pull that off
    infinite click hinges
    SprinkleOtterGlacierfalls265bobabricksDedgecko
  • TikiLukiTikiLuki ChicagoMember Posts: 60
    lentil said:
    I think a lego model of a WDW ride could be pretty awesome too - 
    I've said in another post that I'd love to see a Disney Monorail set...I suppose my preference would be for the Mark I or II, just because the design was so wonderfully mid-century.

But how cool would it be if LEGO released Modular-type sets for either Disneyland or WDW so that you could build them all and put them next to each other to re-create your favorite Lands in LEGO?
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 722
    Dedgecko said:
    CM4S said:
    Source?
    Ghostmind on NEOGaf
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 1,620
    I just want to see a picture.
    CircleKCaptainPirateManDedgeckoyys4ulegobigblokeSeanTheCollectorClutchPower
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,036
    I just want to see a picture.
     Me too although I don't have high hopes for this one.
  • ChakorChanningChakorChanning United StatesMember Posts: 13
    I haven't read through everything in this thread yet.

As for this set itself, I'm happy as long as it gets released.  It will seem odd having only one set in the theme this year (as is believed), but it's better than nothing...  Then again, that depends on the success of the upcoming film.
    The success of the film is a foregone conclusion, it's a matter of Lego (and Disney) dedicating shelf space and production capacity for a full line of product.

One huge set may be all the market may bear.  My sense is that the relative success of the Ant-Man and Dr. Strange tie-in sets, and the subtle Suicide Squad DC 'cartoon' sets, we are going to see more targeted sets in a wide variety themes, rather than a wide variety of sets within a reduced number of themes.
    Bumblepantsstluxcatwrangler
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,025
    ^ And don't forget the most recent Dimensions-only approach taken with the latest "Harry Potter" installment. 
    CaptainPirateManSumoLegostluxcatwrangler
    ^ And don't forget the most recent Dimensions-only approach taken with the latest "Harry Potter" installment. 
    It's just a gut feeling, but I don't think a new line of HP sets not directly tied to an HP reboot or new HP story was something Lego would be interested in.  

(FB didn't have the original cast, etc. or a mascara wearing pirate.  Or Legolas.)

There was one Ghostbusters reboot set.  
    CM4Sgmonkey76
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,036
    SumoLego said:

There was one Ghostbusters reboot set.  

That's the approach I think they should have taken here as well. A well done pirate ship on retail shelves would probably sell, even if the movie ends up being a complete stinker. Could be wrong, but I would think a ship in the $100 - $130 range being sold by every big box store would ultimately do better than a $200 d2c. 
    The quality of the film is irrelevant.  (Batman v. Superman, or any DC movie; Angry Birds, etc.)

There are limited spots on the general retailer shelves, and I have no doubt Wal-Mart would rather carry a larger set from the Lego Batman Movie, Jurassic World, Ninjago or Star Wars themes than a stand-alone pirate ship.  
    ARo2891
    SumoLego said:

One huge set may be all the market may bear.
    I guess the downside of one big set is that you don't have the little sets to support it. If a kid wants some POTC lego, it is all or nothing. Family and friends cannot purchase small sets for them for gifts.
    catwranglerYodaliciousrichoSumoLego
    ^ And so instead they buy a small set from City, SW, SH, Creator, Ninjago, Batman Movie...
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 746
    And to think that TLG phoned it in on the 2015 pirate releases.  Perhaps we're only getting the D2C set because of how poorly the last line sold.
    CM4S
  • lentillentil WisconsinMember Posts: 13
    It's just a gut feeling, but I don't think a new line of HP sets not directly tied to an HP reboot or new HP story was something Lego would be interested in.
    Waaah, I'm afraid you are right @SumoLego and that makes me so sad... the retired HP sets are among our favorites, and I really wish they would release more on that scale to go with the new films! Was really surprised to see nothing but dimensions last year. Bummer. HP books/movies/theme in general is still really popular among 9-11 year olds in my area at least - we have several older HP sets, and my daughter's friends are all really jealous and want to know where to get them. I don't tell them Ebay for $250 because that would just be mean.

Sorry off topic - getting back to Pirates: unlike HP, I think the POTC theme is not as popular with kids. It's a theme that has more appeal for adults, so a big AFOL oriented D2C set probably makes more sense than several smaller kid-oriented sets. Personally I'll be happier with one big awesome set over multiple smaller ones.

CM4S
  • zwalk1839zwalk1839 Member Posts: 18
    I understand why some are disappointed that there will only be one big POTC set and no smaller supporting sets. My hope is that the design team is better focused and releases an incredible ship that otherwise might be diluted by having a full line of sets accompanying it. 
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,352
    At least you'll be able to get the Jack Sparrow Brickheadz with bacon piece soon.
    zwalk1839 said:
    I understand why some are disappointed that there will only be one big POTC set and no smaller supporting sets. My hope is that the design team is better focused and releases an incredible ship that otherwise might be diluted by having a full line of sets accompanying it. 
    What does it mean to dilute it here? Are you saying you expect a better ship because there are no other sets in the line, or that they wouldn't go to so much effort in the ship's design if there were also other smaller sets in the line? I don't think the quality of larger sets has been affected by the existence of smaller ones in the same line. Sure, there are examples such as Assault on Hoth, although I doubt that would have been any different if they made smaller SW sets or not. The quality of the larger sets in Elves, Nexo Knights, Friends, Volcano, LOTR/Hobbit, Arctic, ... all seem fine despite having smaller sets in the same line.
    SumoLego
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,765
    zwalk1839 said:
    I think i get th point you are trying to make, but from the past, there have been plenty of good single large stand alone sets, so I don't think there is any cause for concern by a one off set. Things like Imperial Flagship, Emerald Night, Grand Carousel, Simpsons House if you wanted licensed etc etc etc, you could go on forever, were all great stand alone sets. Disney Castle I consider stand alone as it doesn't really link in with the other Disney sets and mini dolls.
    Cinderella's Castle is categorized with the Disney CMFs.  

(Much like the Simpsons CMF being categorized with the House and Kwik-E Mart.)
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,765
  • madejp86madejp86 IllinoisMember Posts: 146
    so much want want want want!
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM SW LondonMember Posts: 910
    lentil said:
    Waaah, I'm afraid you are right @SumoLego and that makes me so sad... the retired HP sets are among our favorites, and I really wish they would release more on that scale to go with the new films! Was really surprised to see nothing but dimensions last year.
    I remember reading that WB didn't go nuts on toy licensing deals for F.B. because the story was kept so under wraps. When there is a toy line it invariably spills some beans in advance of the film coming out (the appearance of Giant Man in Captain America: Civil War comes to mind). I'm not sure how accurate this is - I just tried to find a source and failed - but it would make a certain amount of sense. 
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 187
    lentil said:
    Waaah, I'm afraid you are right @SumoLego and that makes me so sad... the retired HP sets are among our favorites, and I really wish they would release more on that scale to go with the new films! Was really surprised to see nothing but dimensions last year.
    I remember reading that WB didn't go nuts on toy licensing deals for F.B. because the story was kept so under wraps. When there is a toy line it invariably spills some beans in advance of the film coming out (the appearance of Giant Man in Captain America: Civil War comes to mind). I'm not sure how accurate this is - I just tried to find a source and failed - but it would make a certain amount of sense. 

I know this is accurate with Star Wars merchandise in general, not just Lego.  With their action figure lines, because the movies are kept so secret you don't see any representative toys other than what you may see in the trailers.  There still isn't an old man Luke Skywalker action figure as a result from Force Awakens, and Rey figures weren't very common because they wanted to keep her roll in the movie secret.  So I think it makes perfect sense to apply this logic to other properties. 
    catwrangler
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 919
    ^I think the most obvious example of that is that TLG weren't even allowed enough access to materials for TFA to recreate Kylo Ren's Shuttle at all accurately.
    BumblepantsSumoLegocatwrangler
    To an extent limiting the information to licensees may be true, but no movie studio or franchise property is going to limit their ability to make money.  (I'm sure we'll have grizzled/bearded Luke Skywalker in the avalanche of Last Jedi figures.

My conclusion with respect to HP/FB and Lego would be that Lego (and WB) determined that there was an insufficent market to justify the licensing or production costs.  It appears the Dimensions product was the risk-efficient way to service that market.

Similarly, we were all confused by the 'Angry Birds' theme, but those sets sold well to their target market.
    catwrangler
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 3,916
    In the case of Fantastic Beasts it wasn't just LEGO - I believe that the only toys available were the Dimensions packs and Funko POPs - apparently the darker tone led them to marketing it far more at the older audience.
    catwrangler
  • Patrik78Patrik78 Member Posts: 69
    Ok, I have just removed it from my "wanted" list in reaction to the reveal :)
    sonatine01
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,198
    edited February 18
    Head to leaks thread NOW! Should still be there if you're quick.
  • mh3490mh3490 Member Posts: 77
  • Patrik78Patrik78 Member Posts: 69
    It is no longer a leak :)
    gmonkey76
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,705
    edited February 18
    Not good. Don't want to see that pic again.

AllBrick
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,216
    That is a singularly unappealing set. I actually have a couple of Black Pearls and Queen Anne's Revenge stashed in the loft and had been wondering whether to offload them before the reveal. I think they can safely stay stashed for a while yet.
    BumblepantsbrickedinWookie2TyresOFlaherty
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,139
    Marcos Bessa announced that he's the designer of #71042 - The Silent Mary.
    Aanchir
  • OdeinoichusOdeinoichus CanadaMember Posts: 49

Colour me impressed by the Minifigures, not so much the set. I can't believe we're getting a fifth movie and the only sets they are making is the main ship for the bad guys and two brickheadz, I missed out on a lot of the old PotC sets and really wanted another chance at getting the Pearl alongside a few other sets, especially as there are a lot of great characters to get in Minifigure form.

Couldn't they have at least made a few small sets to go with it? I'll probably pick this up because I refuse to miss out again on owning a large ship from my favorite film franchise, but I'm really disappointed with what little we're getting here. They made six sets based on The Lone Ranger, but can't make a small summer wave of PotC to give us more to do than just display a large zombie ship on the shelf?