You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

71042 Pirates of the Caribbean D2C

Comments

• AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,198
  • tmgm528tmgm528 Member Posts: 286
    As someone who has an opened Queen Anne's revenge sitting on my shelf, I actually don't hate this. I wouldn't buy it for 200, but I think its unique looking enough that I could see myself picking it up after a nice discount
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 1,987
    I expect to see that one on sale pretty quickly. I'm gonna go on record and predict we will see at least one opportunity to get it for 50% off. Maybe more. Not aweful, but just not compelling in my mind.
  • Final_SignFinal_Sign KentuckyMember Posts: 101
    Is that a ship without a hull?  No thanks.

I wonder if it comes with those supports.
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 746
    Of course it comes with those supports.  What a bunch of negative Nancy's in here.  I'm looking forward to picking it up on a discount.  With the small fleet of rowboats to feed this monster, it'll be fun trying some MOC ideas on this.
    Jern92ARo2891stlux
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 699
    edited February 18

Not impressed. It's just generally unappealing- ugly colors, design, etc. It's interesting that Lego would design a (presumably) poor-selling monstrosity such as this, as opposed to creating an attractive large ship that would likely sell much better. A very odd decision. Maybe they're making too much money and decided they would like to cut back on profits?

Quite a bummer, since I was (not very optimistically) looking forward to an impressive large ship. Oh well.

Wait!?  Where's the zombie shark!?  Is it not coming with this!?
    MasterBeefySeanTheCollectoryys4u
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,765
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 588
    Definitely need a few sets of the sails. One for a proper ghost ship, one for an underwater shipwreck for deep sea divers......
    catwranglerstlux
  • ChubblesChubbles USAMember Posts: 422
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 177
    Me too..wont be getting it...but really like it
    richo
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 6,570
    pharmjod said:
    I expect to see that one on sale pretty quickly. I'm gonna go on record and predict we will see at least one opportunity to get it for 50% off. Maybe more. Not aweful, but just not compelling in my mind.
    Are you predicting a UCS B-Wing sales path?
    pharmjod
  • SeanTheCollectorSeanTheCollector BirminghamMember Posts: 220
    I will definitely be getting it. It looks like a fun build and an interesting display piece. Although I am disappointed not to see the zombie shark included.
    Its a must buy for me, love pirate ships. 
    Anyway, this feels more like a playset UCS Death Star than a display UCS Star Wars vehicle.

And one also has to remember that the set needs to support the film.  If the Silent Mary is supposed to be impressive in the film - that's what drives the marketing.

(Otherwise, Rey and Finn would have jumped into the Quadjumper,.and the movie would have been quite dull.)
    catwrangler
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,552
    Shame they didn't use the old cannons but I rather like it. Much more than I thought I would. But as a display piece I think it is going to look impressive. 

The film will still suck. 
    SumoLegostlux
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 663
    I like the ship, just not the price tag. Roll on big lottery-win and I can enjoy this set XD
    I've picked up a few extra pirate hull pieces since the disaster of Pirates III (2015).  I may put those to use here, but I'm curious to see how the "ship-eating" functionality works.
    catwrangler
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 619
    As a D2C completist I'll add it to my collection but won't be buying this right away and hope for an Amazon sale. It feels like a $150 set at most. Looks cool but I'm still underwhelmed. Curious to see more about the features of the set though. 
    yys4u
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 493
    edited February 18
    Ayyy it's this guy:

Or this one since it apparently eats ships. 

Also here's another pic of the awesome monstrosity:

It looks neat, and the minifigs are cool. Hopefully it goes on sale this Thanksgiving haha
    gmonkey76catwranglermatticus_bricks
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 493
    Dedgecko said:
    I've picked up a few extra pirate hull pieces since the disaster of Pirates III (2015).  I may put those to use here, but I'm curious to see how the "ship-eating" functionality works.
     It looks like it just rears up and the rib cage/maw spreads out based on the link from the previous page. 
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,079
    edited February 18
    It's interesting and kinda cool.  But I'm not sure why Lego would release an abstract $200-250 pirate ship after lackluster Sea Cow sales. The build also looks like it will be fiddly.
    ^  I'm not sure what else in the Lego Movie would warrant a $250.00 D2C price tag.
    Maybe the Lego Batman Movie.  But I don't remember Wayne Manor being featured in the Lego Movie.
    gmonkey76
    edited February 19
    ^then the only other thing I can think of is Octan Tower/Lord Business headquarters or the construction site. Maybe a bigger cloud cuckooo land? I personally would of loved more western sets/land
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 420
    I think this ship is magnificient! Won't be a Day 1 buy (probably) since I'll want to get it with double points, but I'm really looking forward to it!
    mathew said:
    It's interesting and kinda cool.  But I'm not sure why Lego would release an abstract $200-250 pirate ship after lackluster Sea Cow sales. The build also looks like it will be fiddly.
    It had lackluster sales!?  Do you have a source for that?  
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,036
    Im seriously not sure what to think of this one. I've wanted to see a well done ghost ship since Monster Fighters, but while this one looks really cool - it's just off. It's the haul or more so the almost total absence of one that ruins for me. Holes and exposed ribbing would be one thing but this is just too sparse. As a model it looks like it would completely crumble at the slightest touch as well. 

Probably not for me but I seriously cannot wait to see the mocs this thing inspires. Ghost crew looks pretty great as well. 
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 1,987
    The submarine in the lego movie should have been the big set. But I like the sea cow.
    gmonkey76SumoLegoAdzbadboy77ncaachampsricecake
    Dedgecko said:
    mathew said:
    No source.  Most people seemed to dislike it because it wasn't a "real" pirate ship and too "weird".  Reseller sales have been lackluster.  It retired early like Town Hall, another slow moving set. I liked it as a Lego model, but eh, $250 is a lot of coin.  This ghost ship strikes me as being similar in concept and delivery.  Already people are chiming in "I'll buy it at 50% off..."
    pharmjod

SumoLego said:
    ^  I'm not sure what else in the Lego Movie would warrant a $250.00 D2C price tag.
    Not following.

pharmjod said:
    The submarine in the lego movie should have been the big set. But I like the sea cow.
    Can't say I remember the submarine which means that it would have sold worse than the Sea Cow.  Sea Cow was epic in the movie, less so as a $250 Lego model.  They should have made the sails out of bricks instead of Technic.  
  • madejp86madejp86 IllinoisMember Posts: 146
    The top portion of the ship looks great but the bottom not so much. I understand that this is how the ship looks in the movie but this is only a display piece and not a playable set.
  • willobee498willobee498 CanadalandMember Posts: 210
    mathew said:

pharmjod said:
    Can't say I remember the submarine which means that it would have sold worse than the Sea Cow.  Sea Cow was epic in the movie, less so as a $250 Lego model.  They should have made the sails out of bricks instead of Technic.  
    Maybe you can't remember the submarine because it didn't get a set, and the Seacow did? The roles could have been reversed easily.  And in the movie, the Seacow was just Metalbeards ship, which is fine. But the submarine was something built together by all the main characters to escape with... it's existence was fairly brief, but it feels like a set that would better encompass the movie at that high price point.
    pharmjod
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,198
    edited February 19
    I remember the sub from TLM and IMO, the seacow was the better choice. The sub is a real mess and wouldn't have stayed together very well, just look at how long it lasted in the film. Also, the sub and its destruction was to symbolise what happens when you don't work together properly.

I like the Silent Mary, it's something TLG haven't done before and will look great in any ship collectors armada.
    Alas, like the movie, you will either love or loathe it. Looking forward to a proper look at it before I cast full judgement, lets see if my liking turns to love or, the other one.
    ShibDedgeckoBumblepantscatwranglerstlux
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 322
    Can't help thinking the Designer has given the parent companies (TLG &Disney) EXACTLY what they asked for! Also can't help feeling they've asked for entirely the wrong thing as far as mass market appeal goes!  I feel Marcos has given us an AFOL worthy ghost ship. Let's face it - at discount most of us will be buying it for sails and figs alone!
    LostInTranslationcatwrangler
  • Wookie2Wookie2 Leeds, UKMember Posts: 83
    I really don't hate the Silent Mary but would rather have had something similar to the Black Pearl or Queen Anne's Revenge (both of which I never had an opportunity to buy at the time). If it does eventually end up with a decent discount though it will be difficult to pass up on as I love PotC. It's just a shame that no smaller sets have been made to coincide with the films release other than the BrickHeadz.
    yys4u77ncaachamps
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,216
    Can't help thinking the Designer has given the parent companies (TLG &Disney) EXACTLY what they asked for! Also can't help feeling they've asked for entirely the wrong thing as far as mass market appeal goes! 
    I think that's fair. It does seem strange to me that TLG's offer is a single broken ship meaning their target market is the subset of ship fans who'd be happy with a broken ship (which I suspect might be less than half of them).
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 140
    I'm really trying to refrain from judgement until I build it, but having said that, as a HARDCORE Pirates fan, I feel mislead. Yes we got a pirate ship, but it's the most UNDWEALMING ship (perhaps even more so than the Sea Cow). At least with the Sea Cow, we were never expecting a REAL pirate ship. 

Having said all of that, it at least does provide a good starting point for mods.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 4,918
    edited February 19
    Think @MAGNINOMINISUMBRA summed it up well. The designer built what he was supposed to, the large new ship from the upcoming film. Can't really blame him or Lego if fans got their hopes up and set their expectations for something else, based purely off speculation. 

I probably shan't buy it as it's not my type of model (large scale display vehicle) though I will probably source some of the minifigs from ebay/BL. Or I'll buy it then just keep the figs and offload the parts. 
    ShibcatwranglerAllBrickRedbullgivesuwindMynattCCCstluxGothamConstructionCoDrone
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,325
    Also, sooner or later, there's bound to be another massive, fully functional pirate ship. A ghost ship/wreck is a more unusual idea, which I doubt would have come into being on this scale without the movie. Let us ghost ship fans have our moment in the sun (or the gloom of the briney deep, whichever ;)), and I'm sure there'll also be a magnificent ship along in the future. (Which, hey, I want as well...)
    AllBrickPeteMrichoDedgeckoricecakedougts
  • ChubblesChubbles USAMember Posts: 422
    I much prefer they give us something new and different to just another generic ship with a few twists
    richo
  • Addicted2OxygenAddicted2Oxygen BrickinghamshireMember Posts: 52
    After the initial shock and disappointment I am quite intrigued by this set. Like others I had hoped for a 'normal' good sized ship as I missed out on the earlier PoTC ships and Pirate ships. 

I do think it is great seeing Lego trying something different with a ship. Will wait for a review before I make up my mind, but will wait until there is some sort of deal if I decide to get it. At moment won't be too sad if I missed out on it. 

Can an already think of some Mocs I would use it for. 

• bok2bok2 Member Posts: 45
    mathew said:
    Dedgecko said:
    mathew said:
    No source.  Most people seemed to dislike it because it wasn't a "real" pirate ship and too "weird".  Reseller sales have been lackluster.  It retired early like Town Hall, another slow moving set. I liked it as a Lego model, but eh, $250 is a lot of coin.  This ghost ship strikes me as being similar in concept and delivery.  Already people are chiming in "I'll buy it at 50% off..."
    Where and when was it possible to buy the Sea Cow at 50% off?
    Dedgecko
    I doubt you'll get this set at 50%. I honestly think it's great, don't get the moaning. What else do people want?, the 9th incarnation of a generic pirate ship, or yet another X-wing. 
    gmonkey76Jern92madforLEGO
  • bok2bok2 Member Posts: 45
    richo said:
    I doubt you'll get this set at 50%. I honestly think it's great, don't get the moaning. What else do people want?, the 9th incarnation of a generic pirate ship, or yet another X-wing. 
    Many want the 29th incarnation of what they had as a child.
    AanchirJern92
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 187
    I'm really trying to refrain from judgement until I build it, but having said that, as a HARDCORE Pirates fan, I feel mislead. Yes we got a pirate ship, but it's the most UNDWEALMING ship (perhaps even more so than the Sea Cow). At least with the Sea Cow, we were never expecting a REAL pirate ship. 

Having said all of that, it at least does provide a good starting point for mods.
    I'm not sure what you were expecting then, considering it's a ship based off of the new movie.  And with that in mind, the Silent Mary was always then a possibility.  I just don't see how you were mislead. Especially considering not once did they ever officially say they were making a new pirate ship set.  I think it's really great.  They've not done one like this before, and it's probably a pretty good representation of what is in the movie.  Any expectations people had were created solely by them, and you can't blame Lego for that.
    Legogramstluxcatwranglerbinaryeye
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 187
    madejp86 said:
    The top portion of the ship looks great but the bottom not so much. I understand that this is how the ship looks in the movie but this is only a display piece and not a playable set.
    At $200 and being a D2C, I think the appeal was going to skew towards people that display pieces rather than play.
    Legogramstlux