Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

71042 Pirates of the Caribbean D2C

Comments

• KerreKerre In a bar, under the sea.Member Posts: 275
    Announced in Europe as well now. £179.99 UK price/ 199.99 € in Germany/ 219.99 € in France and Benelux.

It's clear that the Silent Mary is no ordinary ghost ship. One of the trailers shows her twisting and rising up like a giant wooden crustacean-like mechanoid. Seems the set designer captured that concept quite nicely. That also means only the rib cage still being present is an integral part of the ship's character. Selling an official LEGO version with an intact hull would make as much sense as a complete Death Star II set. Making one would be a good MOC opportunity but you'll need a lot of additional bricks given the size of the set.

catwranglerstluxbandit778
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,167
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 691
    Having now pored over the available pics and believing I've got a relatively good idea of this beasts range of movement  - Im confident in saying that the first pic of it swallowing an IF will sway the most ardent critics!
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,324

SumoLego said:
    I doubt it as well.  I'm also starting to doubt we'll see any Harry Potter in the future - unless there is a reboot of the original series.

Again, deferring to the Lego marketing machine, there appears to be a much larger market for SuperHero Girls, Friends, Ninjago and Nexo Knights.  (Or even Angry Birds and Scooby-Doo.)  

Is it bad I am also beginning to doubt we'll see the traditional Castle, Pirate and Space themes anytime in the future as well.
    I still fully expect to see traditional Castle make a comeback in 2019. Castle seems to be on a three-year renewal cycle (2004, 2007, 2010, 2013, etc); the current 2016 incarnation just happens to be a radical departure from what's come before. We may know more about how Nexo Knights is doing on March 1st when the 2016 Annual Report comes out, but so far I haven't seen any indication that it's been as big a hit as Ninjago and Friends were. And three years seems to still be the peak lifespan for more moderate hits like Legends of Chima.

I feel like Pirates and Space will also continue to pop up from time to time; it's just a question of when — they don't seem to get re-imagined on a predictable schedule like Castle does. They may not be constants like they were in the 90s, but like Castle neither of them has really been gone long enough to safely assume they're never coming back. In the early to mid naughts both those themes went through a much longer hiatus, but still came back in due time.
    catwrangler
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,241
    edited February 23
    To the never 50% off statement as I've already said, TRU has had goofy sales in the past and I expect it will continue in the future. With 20% off gift cards and a decent sale, 50% off is more than possible. The airjitzu comment was also spot on. We are in a time of heavy saturation for LEGO. I expect to see more and more DTV type sets discounted in the future as buyers fatigue sets in. Just my $0.02 but I absolutely will not pay MSRP for this one. 
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 207

As others have said, D2C sets have been discounted before, just not nearly as much as regular sets, and you usually have to wait quite a while to see discounts.  With regular sets, every other week some store somewhere may have a sale on Lego.  With D2C, any sales usually come towards the end of their lifespan.

I just wouldn't count on a sale to get this set.

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 3,743 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 10,309
    I wonder if anyone tracks how many times a particular set goes on sale and has such data available? 
    catwrangler
  • PatsyWalkerPatsyWalker TorontoMember Posts: 72
    AllBrick said:
    Keelhaul and quarter me and make me walk the plank. I want it!
    Ok, I selflessly volunteer myself for this.

*Draws sword*

Yarr, to the pain!
    AllBrickLostInTranslation
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,167
    edited March 4

That's great, thanks @CM4S

Does this show the shark dropping from the ship?

CM4Sdspigelstluxbandit778MasterBeefyClutchPowerbobabricks
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,308
    I've no interest in the ship, I just want those sharks
    LostInTranslation
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 1,789
    oh, maybe an official video soon. and with any chance, maybe we'll see it with all the masts up?
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 798
    edited March 5
    Ty for the confirmation @CM4S !

So it will come with two of those sharks!?
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 341
    I seem to remember a time that the UCS Millennium Falcon was either half off or pretty darn close. I still kick myself for not ordering one, but that was before it was acceptable to spend over $100 on a Lego set. 
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    Well that shark sealed the deal for me lol. I wasn't too interested in the set, but with 2 sharks! I'm down for that
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,831
    Something needs to be done about these thieves...

Pitfall69
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,145
    Holy crap it's been like two weeks.
    Jern92Pitfall69SeanTheCollectorbobabricks
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 2,668

well look's like Lepin may have a mole inside TLG.
    Johnyk668bobabricksdougts
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,324
    edited March 5

well look's like Lepin may have a mole inside TLG.
    Not really, not at all. From what I can tell, every one of these images could be mocked up from the images that have been officially released. They don't use any assets that weren't publicly available weeks ago. They don't even use the "Dead Men Tell No Tales" logo, or the background art from the actual set boxes, or even the zombie shark. The lighting of the background art doesn't even match the lighting of the set images they used. All it takes to make pics like these is being able to search for stock backgrounds and do some amateur-level photo editing. If they've made any headway whatsoever in copying the actual product, these awkwardly kludged-together images certainly fail to show it.
    Wow they even took the low quality, super dark box photo released YESTERDAY and used it. 

Pitfall69stluxPumpkin_3CK5
    Damn.  Perhaps why they delayed the box art release?
  • RecceRecce 10,171km away from BillundMember Posts: 645
    That is really fast for the copycats! I wonder do they even have the instructions. Probably have to wait for the actual Lego release then quickly get the instructions and scramble their production crew to do 24/7 non-stop.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 8,018
    I must have missed the part of 'On Stranger Tides' with the skeleton ship and black-and-white pirates.

Per-orders only!
    Pitfall69
    Plus, they are missing the requisite explosions that are customary on TLG boxes.

Fakes!!!!
    MynattBumblepants
    edited March 6
    Are there more than one Caribbean? That actually would be strange ;)
    SumoLegostlux
    edited March 6
    Well, that is an awfully big HQ for just one Ghostbuster. We all know the are more than one Creator, but adding an 's' to Factory doesn't make it plural...lol. "Builerds"? How goes that go again; i before u except after b? At least if all else fails @SumoLego , you can get that "Horizons Expresses" you have always wanted ;)
    SumoLegogmonkey76Dedgecko
    Pitfall69 said:
    ...you can get that "Horizons Expresses" you have always wanted ;)...
    I think you mean 'Hozionrs Expres'.
    AllBrickpharmjodgmonkey76MynattDedgecko
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,188
    It may look silly to English speakers in the West, but Lepin are probably being quite clever here, to avoid branding and logo copyrights.
    In the non-English speaking world all the have to do is avoid rude versions of local words. Nobody really cares how bad their English is when their product is so much cheaper than that of TLG.

TLG are taking them on in the Chinese Legal system. So Lepin have about six months to a decade to make as much money from these copies as they can.

If TLG stopped profiteering and gave us some reasonable RRP's, Lepin would probably lose their western market completely.
    It might not be possible for TLG to match the Lepin prices in their home market.
    But they are going to try?
    catwranglerdougts
  • PatsyWalkerPatsyWalker TorontoMember Posts: 72
    CM4S said:
    Never fear, the sharks are here..

My hero, CM4S.

Agh, I can't wait to play with this.
    CM4Sgmonkey76
  • lentillentil WisconsinMember Posts: 47
    I'm surprised Lepin is bold enough to "pirate" (ugh) a Disney themed set... even though they changed it to Pirates of the Carribean*s*, they are still using the franchise's font and a previous film's title (On Stranger Tides), without the Disney logo or authorization. I would think Disney alone, much less Disney & Lego combined, would be powerful enough to put some people in prison for this sort of blatant theft. I know Lego sets themselves are not copyrighted, but isn't marketing a toy using an unauthorized film title illegal, even in China lol? I've seen pics of copycat Lepin stuff before, but this one just seems extra extreme. With Star Wars stuff they always at least change the title to "Stnr W(ie)n(e)rs" :-)

More on topic, I do like the (LEGO) Silent Mary model - it's creepy and weird, which to me is interesting. It definitely looks better from more of a top view as in the box shot above, compared to the earlier pics showing the underside. I can't wait to see what kinds of functionalities it will have. The minifigs look awesome too, and the ghost sharks!
    catwranglerCM4Sgmonkey76
    Can't someone just tell Disney about this? 
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 Washington, USAMember Posts: 566
    edited March 6
    ^Considering the fact that Disney can seemingly have a video pulled from YouTube for someones dog who can fart three consecutive notes resembling a Disney song, I'm sure they are very well aware of the sneakers at Lepin. 
    lentilSumoLegoDedgecko
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 403
    ^Considering the fact that Disney can seemingly have a video pulled from YouTube for someones dog who can fart three consecutive notes resembling a Disney song, I'm sure they are very well aware of the sneakers at Lepin. 
    Aware is one thing. Capable of changing things is another. YouTube is a moderated platform that is quite receptive (some might even say to a fault) to perceived violations of intellectual property. Shutting down a company like Lepin is much harder, since you're going to run into roadblocks at every step of the process—from mostly ambivalent marketplaces like AliExpress or eBay, to the challenge of making claims of infringement in Chinese courts, to the not insubstantial matter of making sure that if or when Lepin can be shut down that its business isn't just reopened in another factory with another name. That's not to say it can't be done, or that Lego and their licensing partners aren't giving it their best efforts. But if it were easy, we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place.
    catwranglerdutchlegofan50AanchirpharmjodsklambMegtheCat
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,226
    Lyichir said:
    Aware is one thing. Capable of changing things is another. YouTube is a moderated platform that is quite receptive (some might even say to a fault) to perceived violations of intellectual property. Shutting down a company like Lepin is much harder, since you're going to run into roadblocks at every step of the process...
    I agree with @Lyichir. My experience in this area is that first of all you need to contact the Chinese government is persuade them to support your enforcement action. Without that, you go to the Chinese court which will either find against the foreign company or will make a useless order, eg $10000 in damages

Disney now being involved makes it more interesting. They have the muscle to get the US government to have a word with the Chinese government.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,529
    Venunder said:
    It may look silly to English speakers in the West, but Lepin are probably being quite clever here, to avoid branding and logo copyrights.
    In the non-English speaking world all the have to do is avoid rude versions of local words. Nobody really cares how bad their English is when their product is so much cheaper than that of TLG.

TLG are taking them on in the Chinese Legal system. So Lepin have about six months to a decade to make as much money from these copies as they can.

If TLG stopped profiteering and gave us some reasonable RRP's, Lepin would probably lose their western market completely.
    It might not be possible for TLG to match the Lepin prices in their home market.
    Chinese spelling errors can be great. When chasing up GMP documentation from a Chinese API supplier for work, the Chinese FDA GMP certifcate was stated as being issued by "People Pubes Relic of China", we soon requested a change to "People's Republic of China".

TLG's RRPs aren't profiteering - they have far more legitimate outgoings than Lepin - development costs, marketing costs, decent package for employees (wages, pension etc.). What would be considered reasonable for you? 70% of current RRP is what many people are happy to think they got a bargain with, and Lepin can still undercut that on the larger sets.

• VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,188
    In an ideal world everything would only be priced at 5% above production costs.
    Wages would be lower.
    Bank and Credit Card rates would match inflation +1% for loans and -1% for interest.
    etc.
    Unfortunately we live in a greedy world and we have unwittingly accepted this greed, because we all want a part of it.

So maybe I hold an extreme view of what profiteering is.
    Maybe more of us need to say "No more."

Here endeth the sermon. :)

I'm happy with Lego when I can get 50% off the RRP.
    Ideally I would want 60% or more off the RRP.

catwrangler
    Venunder said:

TLG definitely isnt't trying to sell at reasonable price in China, I understand their product pricing there is actually very high. Strange as one would think with factories there they can actually sell at lower than in the West.

The management team of TLG decided that selling at a reasonable price in China for products made in China (i.e. no import/export duties, shipping costs etc) is going to undercut their profit in other regions of the world as China buyers can resell at higher price to the West and still made a profit.
    Switchfoot55 said:
    ...someones dog who can fart three consecutive notes resembling a Disney song...
    Let it go...
    bandit778AllBrickSwitchfoot55Dedgecko
    edited March 7
    Why am I so delighted at zombie sharks?!?!?
    TyresOFlahertygmonkey76Pitfall69
  • TyresOFlahertyTyresOFlaherty USAMember Posts: 288
    SumoLego said:
    Why am I so delighted at zombie sharks?!?!?
    I know... this set has been gotten a hard pass from me from the start until....ZOMBIE SHARKS....
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 2,668
    i don't know about this set.
    i am going to have to let time tell.
    it is at the upper end of what i will pay. 
    i think i will wait to see what uk shop pick's it up later in it's life!
    if it is Toy's r Us the odd's of me getting it go down, if it is Smyths, the odd's of me getting it go up.
    catwrangler
    CM4S said:
    Can't someone just tell Disney about this? 
    Disney had 166,000 employees as of 2015, which is about the size of an army or a small country so we can safely assume they're well aware of the situation and wouldn't require us mere insignificant AFOLs to fight the good fight on their behalf.

Pitfall69SumoLegoRsa33
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,130
    Hiya Triple K.  The Lepin project was a success!!

Muhahahahahaha.
    CM4S said:
    Different box...? 

USA vs EU versions perhaps?  Notice the piece count is missing from the far left.
    TyresOFlahertybobabricks
  • ChakorChanningChakorChanning United StatesMember Posts: 17
    As far as the set itself goes, I'm liking it so far.  I may very well end up picking this up due to the unpredictability of the possibility that this set may end up heavily scalped not long after its release (like the Jurassic World sets).

As for the Chinese bootleggers, it is truly unbelievable.  They must lurk around this forum every day.