You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

71042 Pirates of the Caribbean D2C

1234568»

Comments

• MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 322
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 746
    SumoLego said:
    I am pretty sure if Lego bricks leeched chemicals that easily they would not be allowed for sale to children in most countries.
    How many licks does it take to get cancer or some other exotic chemical poisoning?
    Depends where it is...

In a day care or school environment?  One lick will get you the flavor of the week --- norovirus, influenza, croup, or AIDS.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,262
    Saw the Silent Mary set in the (rotting) flesh at the Metrocentre store today, built up and in the front window. Looked quite impressive and bigger than I expected them to be (not seen any of the previous ships as they've always been off my radar). I'm sure I will get it, but not at full price with no promos (polybag or points).
    MooreFXstluxGlacierfalls265bandit778
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 1,504
    ^ Have to admit. After being rather sceptical of this one, I don't think the pics have done it justice - they don't convey the size very well. I was impressed when I saw it for real - bigger than I thought and fab minifigs. I didn't buy for the same reasons as you - no promos or freebies. If it ends up at Smyths or TRU later in the year I'll be grabbing at 20% off unless a decent promo comes along in the meantime, or my VIP points beg to be spent.

I haven't even got anywhere I can put it, but I'd love to build it. I think the set deserves a fair hearing from those that haven't seen it for real, and I look forward to the BS review.

MooreFXgmonkey76stluxGlacierfalls265bandit778LegopantsA.Brickovsky
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,092
    I finished building the model this morning and am thoroughly impressed. Like many others, I would rather have seen a more traditional warship in favour of a ghost ship but I'm delighted to see a properly rounded hull and the skeletal design is very striking. The minifigures are splendid as well but the Silent Mary itself is undoubtedly the most satisfying part of the set for me!

My only significant criticism is that the ship is very difficult to move. The central section of the hull is fragile so you have to pick it up from either end and that is a little nerve-wracking as the model tends to flex around the hinges at its centre. However, I can't see how that could have been avoided.

For those looking for a size comparison the Silent Mary is almost exactly the same length as #10210 Imperial Flagship but its deck is considerably higher.
    stluxiso3200LegopantsmonkeyhangerSumoLegoDroneA.Brickovsky
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 7,568
    richo said:
    I doubt you'll get this set at 50%. I honestly think it's great, don't get the moaning. What else do people want?, the 9th incarnation of a generic pirate ship, or yet another X-wing. 
    I do not think it is that great, but it will not get down to 50%. At least I do not see LEGO doing it nowadays, regardless of the recent discounts to move stocks. I guess we will see if a D2C type set will get discounted that much when Assault on Hoth gets discounted (as that set likely will at its end of run). My presumption will be that LEGO does not make many of these compared to other sets of such stature instead of being forced to dump a surplus at 50% off when they want to rid themselves of them.

As for the ship. Its not bad, it is detailed and what not, and I get it is for the new movie, but I think many wanted the Flying Dutchman, not something that looks like 'half a ship' at a 'full ship' type price tag.
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 140
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,123
    Saw this in the flesh today and can only echo the statements of the other members. Really  impressed. Took pic to show the size against the other sets on display.

(Apologies for the shite photo, window glare is not my friend)
    CaptainPirateManCM4SstluxMynatt
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 140
    I have the minifigs and Zombie Sharks available at my BL store. Look under SETS to find them!!

https://www.bricklink.com/store/home.page?p=jjohnson1675&utm_content=globalnav#/splash
  • lentillentil WisconsinMember Posts: 13
    Wow that thing is BIG! I am impressed by the scale. It looks great from the angle in that picture.
  • ARo2891ARo2891 MAMember Posts: 100
    Yep, size has definitely re-percolated my interest in the set.
  • BoomstickBoomstick IndianaMember Posts: 24
    Really wish they would have re-released the Black Pearl
    CircleK
  • willobee498willobee498 CanadalandMember Posts: 210
    edited March 21
    I only realized from watching some reviews that there isn't even an interior for the cabin. I love the look and size of this thing, but the lack of playability makes it seem like it's $250 CAD for a ship-shaped baseplate...
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 1,620
    That is the thing, this is a "display" ship.  Even the minifigures and sharks to a degree are meant to be on display for visual appearance only; so finding the space will be a priority.
1234568»