Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

LEGO launches "safe social networking app" for under-13s (LEGO Life)

paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,785
edited January 31 in Everything else LEGO
Don't think this has been mentioned yet: https://www.lego.com/en-gb/life

"An app full of cool stuff. An app full of your cool stuff. Let your LEGO Life begin today! The launch version of LEGO® Life is only the beginning. We'll be adding more and more features as the months go by, so it will just get better and better!"

I guess it explains why the forums got killed off?

Comments

• bookmumbookmum londonMember Posts: 977
    Hmm. Interesting. My daughter (age 8) joined the Jacqueline Wilson fan site which is aimed at children, but to do it the account has to be created using my email address. So really I'm the one who has joined. How will it be monitored that those on the site are under 13? Do under 13s need social networks?
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,785
    Judging by the number of under 13s who use Facebook (when they shouldn't), I'd say yes, they do need a safe alternative.
    But if under 13s can get on to Facebook could over 13s get onto the children's sites? 
    pharmjodClutchPower
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,785
    Of course they could, but I'm not sure what they'd be able to achieve if comments can only include certain preselected text and legomojis. Sounds like it will be relatively low effort to police the site, but at the expense of reduced functionality. Which could of course make the kiddies head for Facebook anyway...
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,576
    It's probably good for kids whose parents heavily supervise their internet use - better an app with limited capabilities than no social Lego experience online. Hopefully by the time they're old enough to find their way to Flickr/Instagram for the adult equivalent of what Lego Life is doing, they'll have learned some smarts about what to share and not share online...
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,324
    edited February 1
    Just to clarify, there is no upper age limit on LEGO Life. It's designed for kids under 13 (and probably won't be of too much interest to many adults), but if a person over 13 with a LEGO.com account wants to use it there's nothing stopping them. What sets it apart from other social networks is that doesn't have a LOWER age limit, since it has measures in place specially designed to protect the privacy and comfort of children. Basically like the LEGO Message Boards and LEGO.com galleries meet Facebook.

There have been a number of articles about it today with more details: https://www.wired.com/2017/01/lego-life-social-network-kids/
    http://fortune.com/2017/01/31/lego-social-network-kids/
    https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/31/lego-life/
    https://www.fastcodesign.com/3067693/lego-launches-a-social-network-for-kids-too-young-for-facebook

I joined this morning to see what all the buzz was about, although I don't expect to get as much use out of it as I do out of more grown-up forums and social networks. I'm "SirFascinatingOctopus". It took me a lot of rolls of the dice to get that name, though, which I'm sure would wear on a lot of adults' patience. I'm glad I had the patience to wait for a name I liked, because you can't change your name after you pick one. It's linked to your LEGO.com account so the videos you've liked on LEGO.com, your gallery creations, etc. are synced to LEGO Life and vice-versa.

The character customization options are pretty limited at first (no glasses!), but I hear you can unlock more by posting and doing challenges and stuff. Your custom character is synced to LEGO.com and I hear in the future you will also be able to port it to other LEGO apps. The mini-doll customization sadly doesn't include male mini-dolls… I hope they can be unlocked in the future. You can save more than one minifigure or mini-doll avatar, which is quite nice though I won't get much use out of that until I can unlock more cool accessories.

I did encounter an annoying bug where after decorating a LEGO Elves pic with stickers for one of the challenges, the save button wouldn't work, so all that work was wasted. Which, mind you, wasn't much, but for a kid I could understand that being a much bigger deal. I haven't tried any of the other sticker-based challenges or tried the Elves one a second time, so I don't know if that problem is more widespread.

You can follow feeds based on your favorite themes and characters, though the character feeds are pretty limited. The stickers are pretty cute and fun. I haven't figured out yet if you can save pictures you've decorated with stickers to your phone to share them elsewhere, but I'd enjoy if you could since the LEGO stickers on, say, Facebook don't usually include my favorite themes.
    pharmjodJenniLostInTranslationClutchPower
    This sounds similar ish to the Jacqueline Wilson fan site. You have to pick your screen name from the random choices - which are so random my daughter can never remember hers. 
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 404
    bookmum said:
    This sounds similar ish to the Jacqueline Wilson fan site. You have to pick your screen name from the random choices - which are so random my daughter can never remember hers. 
    This at least has the benefit that the screen name is just a display name—AFAIK you still sign in with your Lego Club ID and password, which you have more freedom to choose and change at your leisure.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,324
    bookmum said:
    Well, fortunately your login information is just your LEGO.com account. The randomized nickname you get is just your display name. Still, the system could definitely be improved. It'd be great if every time you clicked the randomizer it showed you three nicknames instead of just one, so you'd have a bit more room to pick and choose without giving up on a name forever. Or if you could scroll back through the nicknames you've already dismissed. As it is, the randomizer rewards patience but also tests your judgment… each time you see a nickname you like you have to ask yourself if you'd be willing to stick with it or if you'd rather dismiss it forever in hopes of getting something new.
    ClutchPower
  • AyliffeAyliffe the UK innit?Member Posts: 262
    Oh hey, this thing is out. I remember having a go at the thing when it was out early in the UK, and... it wasn't too bad actually, with the exception of one major flaw which I'll save 'til last.

First off, the minifig customiser is probably one of the best ones I've seen on a phone app since forever - well animated, decent-quality minifig models plus the inclusion of customisable minidolls in a non-minidoll app is the neatest thing. Having more than one avatar saved to your account to use is also pretty cool, since it's probably the most fun bit of the app.

The rest of the app has some pretty good ideas going on too (organising themes into communities is a nice touch, and theme-specific stickers are cool too). In fact, the main problem I have with LEGO Life is not the app itself - it's the community of 6-year-olds that've come directly from the soon-to-be-killed LMBs and will be providing quality content like... whatever this is:

Also, LEGO Life is gonna be killing off LEGO Club and rebranding the magazine into "LEGO Life Magazine", which makes me nostalgically sad 'cos I've been a member since the World Club days and I still have my membership cards and oh god now I feel old.
    catwranglerJackad7
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 691
    HEY! What did Sensai Chief Captain America of the Blue Angel Golden Fox clan ever do to you?
    AyliffestluxAanchir