Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Ornamental Metal Bricks...?

MetalBrickerMetalBricker Ontario, CanadaMember Posts: 4
edited February 2 in Buying & Selling Topics
Hi everyone!

I'm a new member and this would be my cherry post, so please excuse any lapses of decorum. I read the rules and hopefully am fully abiding!

Would anyone be interested in ornamental/decorative bricks like this?

This particular brick I made for my son and after leaking it a bit on social media, many of my friends and family have both been interested in and suggested I market, items like this. So, here I am.

This piece is a prototype for personal and demonstration use, I would not market/sell a product with the Lego name or logo on it. However, that could be something one could get done their self at a local engraver at their own cost. I can offer custom engraving anywhere on the brick so long as it doesn't infringe on any copyrights or other intellectual property rights.

This prototype represents an approximation, it is still a WIP and not made to exact scale. Dimensions are; ~3"L x 1.5"W x 13/16"H, solid brass and weighs 1lb 4oz. The base material could also be aluminum, bronze, steel, various plastic, etc. I can also get aluminum anodized to many different colours and finishes.

I haven't had a chance to generate a material and labour cost, and depending on demand I would have to price outsourced polishing as well. I have several hours invested in hand polishing this piece, clearly not economical for larger demand. I made this from leftover scrap, so again, depending on demand I would have to price out custom size bar stock to reduce machining time. However the overall price per unit would vary depending on the base material, the finish, engraving, etc.

I would be open to world wide shipping, with no markups. Obviously the base material and location of buyer would significantly affect the shipping fee, i.e the weight of brass or steel vs aluminum or plastic.

I am located in South Eastern Ontario, Canada.

I would probably offer them through eBay, even for custom orders, to ensure a higher level of payment security and transaction confidence.

I can provide contact info etc through PM, but please post general interest and inquiry in the thread so that it's easier for myself and others to see an overview of interest.

There's a lot of potential for these and I haven't had time to visualize them but I can see these used as awards, seasonal decorations, keychains, pendants, jewellery, etc.

Thanks for reading my essay, I hope you found it interesting if nothing else!

Here's a link to some more photos...

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,849
    I'd remove the lego logo from all your advertising before you go any further. Even if you aren't selling those versions, you are likely to get into serious trouble if they are in your advertising.

Nice bricks though.
    iso3200SprinkleOtterkiki180703gmonkey76
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 479
    Dang this Chinese knock-offs are getting fancy....

On a more serious note I think depending on the price these would do well. They look great and are definitely unique!
  • MetalBrickerMetalBricker Ontario, CanadaMember Posts: 4
    HI CCC, thanks for your feedback. I do realize the potential implications and I'm not looking to attract litigation against myself or this site. That being said, my genuine intentions here are strictly to survey the general interest in a product such as this, without any trademark infringement. The only piece I have is currently at the engraver getting some custom laser etching done so I'm unable at this moment to update the images. I will endeavour to do so as soon as possible and if it seems appropriate, I can remove the current links that display the trademark.

@Jackad7, thank you. If I were a woman I just might be blushing lol.

If anyone feels that there would be a more appropriate place to survey a community for interest in this kind of thing, please post or PM me! I am not looking to capitalize, just provide something very unique and exciting to like-minded folks.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,184
    The bitch of it is, I think the logo is needed to finish the brick off as without, well it might as well be a glossy MegaBlok.  I'd be interested but only a branded one.

They are really nice looking though.  It is evident you have spent many hours perfecting it.  Well done.  :)
    FireheartJackad7kiki180703gmonkey76
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,849
    ^ What if they were stickers ..? 
    Legoboykiki180703
    ^ I'd need a dozen copies and still feel cheated.
    SprinkleOtter
    Hi Legoboy, thanks for the props. Yes, I've spent a lot of time and energy on this as it's for my son so I wanted to make sure it had plenty of personal touch.

One option for personal branding would be to have a persons initials engraved on each knob, that would make it very personal!

I've actually machined out a small pocket in the bottom of the brick and taken a piece of aluminum billet flatstock, polished it to a near mirror finish and glued that into the pocket. This is what I'm having engraved. The pocket is about 0.01" deeper than the thickness of the aluminum. This will recess the engraved aluminum and keep it protected when the brick is lying flat. However, any face of the brick could have engraving.

It's still with the engraver as they needed me to provide a seperate piece of aluminum to test the laser on before they zapped the real deal. I don't think I could extract the aluminum without machinIng it out which would be hazardous and could irrevocably damage the brick.

I will get some pictures up of the finished engraving once I get the piece back.
    So using only the branded font perhaps, or something very similar, I could have the first letter of each of my kids' names joined together and added to each of the studs?

Like:-

Lewis, Ethan, Grace and Olivia.

Would be interested to see your finished piece.  :)
    kiki180703
    My second son's name is Ethan...I don't see a Lego piece, I see providence. Lol
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 237
    I think these are great, and definitely something I would be interested in. I can see it now on my office desk.

Also when I first looked at the image I thought that design would make a great Nixi Tube Clock. You get the clock in kit form and choose the base. The numbers (Nixi tubes) can be on each of the studs (That would also get over the logo on top of each stud).
    See example below for a standard one: