Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Listen to my sad story... (and hello from Spain!)

WananekoWananeko GranadaMember Posts: 13
Hi there!

I'm a Lego fan from Spain. I've been collecting since I was a kid. I collected Lego through the mid-late 90s and had a huge collection of Castle, Western, Rock Raiders, and many more. Of course when the Star Wars sets came out, I got my hands on many of them, including the first X-Wing and many sets from when even licenses had their minifigs in yellow.

But like I said... I just used to own them...because, and thus the reason of this thread's title, one fatal day when I was already a teenager, I decided to store all my Lego toys in the basement.

Years passed and I always took for granted that my Legos would be there in the day I needed them again as an adult. That day came a few years back, when the Monster Fighters sets came out and I felt the need to start collectng again. But that day when I went to my father's basement, my Legos were not there anymore... At some point dad needed space and I guess he thought I would never need my Lego toys anymore.  

But dust to dust. Now as an adult with a job I have way more Lego than I ever had when I was a kid!

I've been a Brickset user for quite a while and I thought it was about time to jump in here and join the discussions. Plus I really want to show my custom minifigs around! 
AllBrickcatwranglerBumblepantseggshenrichoomniumClutchPowersnowhitietallblocktoo

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 5,653
    A sad, and sadly all too common, story.

Welcome to the forum!
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,212
    I buy Lego from people like your dad all the time, you will too I hope.

Welcome!
    WananekoOrmskirkBricksClutchPower
  • WananekoWananeko GranadaMember Posts: 13
    AllBrick said:

Welcome!
    I just wish my dad had sold them instead of throwing them away :( at least he would have made some money!

Is there any specific website where dads sell their kid's unwanted toys? 

Thanks for the welcome, guys!
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 1,528
    @AllBrick maybe you will make lots of future AFOLs sad O_O

well, there aren't many models from my childhood which can favorably compare to modern releases. night lord castle, fort legoredo, and maybe renegade runner, but mostly because it's my only proper pirate ship (I also have pirate ship ambush though)
    edited February 6
    Wananeko said:
    AllBrick said:

Welcome!
    I just wish my dad had sold them instead of throwing them away :( at least he would have made some money!

Is there any specific website where dads sell their kid's unwanted toys? 

Thanks for the welcome, guys!
    He didn't sell them? Oh that is sad.

I use a site called Gumtree here in the UK. Mums and dads selling stuff off to make space, picked up #9465 for £12 recently.

@Fauch - Initially, yes. They really should aim their unhappiness towards mum and / or dad.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,387
    Welcome to Brickset! Sorry to hear about your old Lego; there was some lovely stuff back then! Hopefully you'll be able to get some of those old sets back if you find the right sale at the right price. 
  • WananekoWananeko GranadaMember Posts: 13
    AllBrick said:

He didn't sell them? Oh that is sad.

I use a site called Gumtree here in the UK. Mums and dads selling stuff off to make space, picked up #9465 for £12 recently.

What!? That's a hell of a price. Especially for a set that was discontinued out of the blue.
    I heard they discontinued it for being too gory for parents' taste. Wish I could know the truth...but at least I managed to get one before it disappeared from the shelves.

I've been looking at second hand websites like the one you used, but man people here seem to know their stuff and you barely find any bargains. Plus many people are selling fakes now and you have to watch out...

Thanks for the welcome messages guys. I have a question, actually...what's the right place to post a thread with pics of the minifigs I customize mixing parts?
    I know, couldn't believe it myself.

I'm not sure what the exact story is with #9465 , released for 5 months only and thete is no space for the zombie stone on the vampyre castle clock.
    Its possible they weren't going tyo release it at all and decided to at the very last minute. 

Post your creations here.

http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/14663/the-brickset-builders-guild-share-your-mocs-here#latest
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 798
    That Zombie set is the only reason I don't wait too long to buy sets. The problem is, I've spent way too much, so I only try to get sets on clearance now, so if I miss something I miss something.

As far as the original topic, that is sad. I'm thankful my parents kept my toys, but at the same time, now I have EVERY toy I've ever owned...I obviously don't need them, but I'm glad they were there when I became an adult. Granted all of my childhood LEGO is in totes. I wouldn't dare mix old with new pieces.