Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Determining value of minifigs in a set

AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 521
I mostly collect sets, not minifigs, but I don't like the idea that I may be overlooking the value of some figs as I dump them in a pile that I'll probably never look at again. Is there a relatively easy way to determine the value of the minifigs in a given set?

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 4,063
    Just look up the set on Bricklink and you can then select the minifigs and see a lot of relevant data for what they are being sold and listed for.
    madforLEGOpiratemania7gmonkey76
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 521
    Oh yeah. How did I miss that? Thanks!
  • PatsyWalkerPatsyWalker TorontoMember Posts: 72
    I think we'd be best friends/business acquaintances depending on what you collect.
    SumoLego
  • spaceinvader1979spaceinvader1979 Barcelona - CataloniaMember Posts: 42
    Let us know if you decide to sell some figs...
    SumoLego
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 8,032
    There are a bunch of us that fancy the figures over the pieces...
    SprinkleOtterobi_gYodaliciousFowlerBricksJackad7DeeC2_Josh
    Collecting minifigs almost seems like a completely different hobby to me. Like, how do people go from buying some cool Lego sets to deciding to just (or mostly) collect figs? There's no build to speak of, and the opportunity to recombine parts in imaginative ways is either mostly absent or not valued. Do people just jump right in to fig collecting, or do they usually go through a more conventional set building phase first? Not being accusatory; I'm just interested in how it happens.
  • obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 364
    for me, i dont need another x-wing or luke's landspeeder (as examples) so i'll pick up the newer figs if possible. also for army building like stormtrooopers it's simpler to get just the figs!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,228
    ^^ It can happen in many ways:

Space - collecting figs is much easier than sets if you are lacking space. Some people will have some builds and then just populate them with the characters.

Money - buy the set and sell of the parts can recoup a lot of the money, especially if you are just going to put it into storage.

Too many rehashes - why have multiple of the same thing?

Not enjoying building - but like the figures.

Not time for building.

As to the "and the opportunity to recombine parts in imaginative ways is either mostly absent or not valued" part, I don't believe that. There are loads of ways of recombining purist lego minifigure parts to make characters that lego have never made and a lot of people enjoy doing that (you only need to look at the purist customs thread on EB to see that). And if you go non-purist, even more ways of doing it.
    stluxSumoLegoYodaliciouspiratemania7bandit778Legogram
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 1,836
    edited July 16
    CCC said:
    ^^ It can happen in many ways:

Space - collecting figs is much easier than sets if you are lacking space. Some people will have some builds and then just populate them with the characters.
    50% off display case sales at Michaels.  $12.99 is just such a good deal, I have to put something about an inch tall in them!
    Goldchains
    I guess the only thing mentioned above that I just don't get is the "Not enjoying building" bit. 
    I guess the only thing mentioned above that I just don't get is the "Not enjoying building" bit. 
    Funnily enough, there are a few sets I've not enjoyed building, and often thought this could be so much better if ... And then mod it, or completely tear it down and then moc it instead. Some sets (esp Super Heroes) are a bit lacking in build or display quality. Why bother building them if you aren't going to display them when you can get some cash back for the parts? How many people bought #76008 (just a random example) for the build?
    stluxGoldchains
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 536
    ^ Wow that is an ugly vehicle!

It might be because I am getting old, but I don't really enjoy craning my neck and going back and forth from the model to the instructions. Building with my imagination is much more enjoyable. 
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 1,832
    edited July 17

I bought Iron Man vs. The Mandarin: Ultimate Showdown. It was the cheapest set from that film and I buy at least one that's connected to every superhero film, just because. I expect to be disappointed with how the bricks come together in some sets. They're still bricks though.

Mind you, I also love Quinjets. And The Javelin. And the Blackbird. And various batmobiles, and multiple iterations of Star Wars spaceships from 4-6, and the Helicarrier, and 6-stud wide sports cars. I suppose I tend towards the target market a bit too much!  :-)

In fact, I probably have too many minifigs - how many Iron Men/storm troopers do you actually need, if not army building?

• BromwichBromwich LondonMember Posts: 17
    For me as a kid all of my Lego was my older brother's 1970/80's stuff, with no instructions, lots of glued parts, and no complete Minifigs. Every character I made was a robot with a 1 x 1 round for a head just because I couldn't find any heads. Some of the figures didn't even have moving arms. It got a little boring!

Then suddenly, when I was 18, TLG started bringing out SW character like Darth Maul, Qui-Gon and Luke and I jumped on them as being collectible given that the early SW sets seemed much more about the figures anyway.

That said - it wasn't until last year that I actually started collecting properly and realised I had 16 years of figures to buy...

I think the SW figure collection alone is £11,000+ (not including sets!!)
    MaffyD said:

how many Iron Men do you actually need, if not army building?

One of each suit.
    LuLegoMegtheCatgmonkey76SumoLego
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,294
    MaffyD said:

how many Iron Men do you actually need?

Oh goodness, where do I even begin?
    bandit778gmonkey76SumoLegoBumblepantsstluxMaffyDsamiam391
    MaffyD said:

how many Iron Men do you actually need?

Oh goodness, where do I even begin?
    'All of them' - and interpret that however you like.
    MaffyD

I knew people would jump on the Iron Man statement, and yes, I know it's a completist thing. I wasn't trying to be controversial, and I think that if they were all easily available I'd have them all as well, but I just don't have the time or funds to source every one.

So I have to either make some kind of criteria for what I want which doesn't include some rare version from SDCC (I think @sumolego is alluding to that in his statement), be happy that my collection is incomplete (so far), or just ignore the completist in me and have what I have.

I've obviously chosen the last one of those options, but I'm very impressed by those who manage them all - @vorpalryu I think is one of those, and presumably you @ccc ?

^ I was kidding...partially...mainly because you mentioned Iron Man specifically and my collection goes way beyond completing the set of those actually released. I have more than 75 Iron Men. 50+ suit variants...standard minifigs, actual suits made out of standard minifig parts, suits I made up out of standard minifig parts, and one custom torso. I like Iron Man. 
    bandit778MaffyDBobflipsid3windr

^ Urk! Well done. Seriously. That's quite amazing - are there any pics anywhere? I thought you would be more of the Storm Trooper army builder minifig person. That's why assumptions are a bad idea!

I like Iron Man too, for clarity. Prefer Captain America, but that's a different story...

Nope, I don't have them all. I think I have most of the regular set ones, plus quite a few custom ones (that lego don't do). I don't have SDCC one, I'm not paying silly money for him.
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 377
    Yeah, @Yodalicious , deffo want to see pics of that lot!
    ^ & ^^^

I'll get some out this week and take some pics. Unfortunately, will very tiny humans in the house, I don't display a lot (yet), so 99% of my minifigs are in fishing tackle boxes. But I can get out the legions of Iron Men and take some pics. Stay tuned.

@MaffyD When I created my account here, I should've thought about Iron Man, but didn't. So I went with Yoda. Big Yoda fan too, but not quit the minifig collection for him.
    stluxsid3windr
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 1,771
    MaffyD said:

I've obviously chosen the last one of those options, but I'm very impressed by those who manage them all - @vorpalryu I think is one of those, and presumably you @ccc ?
    When it comes to Marvel my aim is collect everything that TLG have made, with a few notable exceptions; the Constraction figures & the NYCC/NYTF Iron Man/Captain America minifigures. Not a fan of the Constraction figures, I'm not willing to part with more than 80% of original RRP to get them, so they won't likely be joining my collection any time in the future. As for the NYCC/NYTF minifigures, I think they look terrible, so I'd knock them back at any price.

I think I've done pretty well, including SDCC exclusives, Mighty Micros, polybags, Brickheadz, etc, I have all but three items; 2012 SDCC Symbiote Suit Spider-Man, 2013 SDCC Spider-Woman & 2013 SDCC Spider-Man.
    MaffyD
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,534
    edited July 18
    @MaffyD When I created my account here, I should've thought about Iron Man, but didn't. So I went with Yoda. Big Yoda fan too, but not quit the minifig collection for him.
    Possibly for the best, IronManalicious would probably get you the wrong sort of attention. ;D

That is a serious amount of the same figure, from what you have posted before I figured you had a lot but that's an impressive collection.

I decided to avoid this sort of collecting issue and have so far committed myself to only completing Lego produced variants of certain Star Wars figures like Shmi Skywalker, Beru Lars and the Tonika sisters. So far I have managed to collect them all. :)