Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Is there any particular reason we haven't seen anything on this year's DC Superheroes offerings?

PatsyWalkerPatsyWalker TorontoMember Posts: 69
I'm aware LEGO Batman is all the rage and still has sets to roll out, but I was hoping Toy Fair would have blessed us with sets for June's Wonder Woman film or general LEGO DC Universeness. Especially disheartening for me since the Silent Mary to Spider-Man: Homecoming to the Star Wars summer offerings were circulating well before official confirmation.

I assume WB and LEGO just want the focus on LEGO Batman? Could LEGO just drop something on us right before the film? Is this unofficial confirmation any DCU sets would be for the back half of the year?

Or did DC decide to go with Mega Bloks? (Joke.)

Really, brighten up this comic fan's life after all these middling Marvel offerings (in my collection's needs, anyway).

Comments

• MattPetersenMattPetersen Florida, USAMember Posts: 230
    I just how they're not all based on movies.
    I really want more characters from the comics to appear in sets (couple more Green Lanterns would also be nice). 
  • DougTemplarDougTemplar Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 435
    I really want more characters from the comics to appear in sets (couple more Green Lanterns would also be nice). 
    I thought the best plan was to try and pick up some of the GL sets as spare and us other LEGO Alien Heads (and in some cases Chima) for the various GLs and Sinestro Corps members.
    gmonkey7677ncaachampskiki180703Adzbadboy
    I thought the best plan was to try and pick up some of the GL sets as spare and us other LEGO Alien Heads (and in some cases Chima) for the various GLs and Sinestro Corps members.
    That's what I have done so far, but I'd really like to see official versions of John Stewart (at least), and Kilowog or Ch'P
    WhiteDove
  • VaderFan2187VaderFan2187 MustafarMember Posts: 15
    Not seeing JL sets is understandable, but I expected the Wonder Woman set to be on display. :-\
  • PatsyWalkerPatsyWalker TorontoMember Posts: 69

Thanks for that, more than I'd known prior. Looks like only one Wonder Woman set. I'm not too upset about that, as Dr. Strange and Ant-Man were quality sets. I feel like LEGO overextended on some prior lines (What's up, Lone Ranger?) and now play it safe. Also, it seems like they don't get as much to go on with these movie tie ins as they used to.

Still, like @VaderFan2187 said, I expected to see it last weekend.

That Justice League tag for the others doesn't mean it's a movie set, so I hope to see something fresh.

Come on, Waverider and crew!

sukh
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 641
    I think we have to wait and see how Wonder Woman does to see if we get more DC movie sets. Yes we got a lot of Batman sets, but thats Batman. We would love to see more movie based sets, but with most of the recent movies being bad I think LEGO is smart not to make more than 1-2 sets.
  • NeilJamNeilJam USAMember Posts: 251
    edited February 24
    DC is trying to make their movies more adult-oriented in an attempt to sell more tickets. But Lego tends to avoid mature themes, that's why there are no Suicide Squad sets. If DC keeps up with that tactic, there may not be many DC movie sets in the future.

That wouldn't bother me though since this is a Marvel household.
  • ImABrickManNowImABrickManNow BrickyMcBrickMember Posts: 233
    NeilJam said:
    DC is trying to make their movies more adult-oriented in an attempt to sell more tickets. But Lego tends to avoid mature themes, that's why there are no Suicide Squad sets. If DC keeps up with that tactic, there may not be many DC movie sets in the future.

It would bother me very much so, as I'm obsessed with Batman and DC comics as a whole. I do hope that we get some sets for the DCCU Batman film as I'd love to see a different DeathStroke minifigure. (he is the confirmed bad guy in the movie I think).
    I lean more Marvel than DC, but I'm enjoying this period where people now see why I loved what I've loved with comics my whole life. I'll take more sets for whatever gets people excited.

I'm fine with one WW set, I just hope it's a cool diorama.
    MaffyDcatwranglerkiki180703
    NeilJam said:

We did see Suicide Squad last fall across the Batman line. It wasn't the movie, but it surely wasn't coincidence.
    SumoLegokiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 6,870
    We did see Suicide Squad last fall across the Batman line. It wasn't the movie, but it surely wasn't coincidence.
    Shhhhh!  In no way is The Lego Group endorsing or otherwise associated with the themes, violence or subject matter of said film.  The release of minifigures comprising all of the main characters is pure coincidence.
    catwranglergmonkey76MaffyDkiki180703MattPetersendatsunrobbieGoldchains
  • OdeinoichusOdeinoichus CanadaMember Posts: 85

I thought they didn't show them because of spoilers being avoided. Kind of how the LEGO Ninjago Movie wasn't allowed to be photographed. I'm not worried, I'm sure they'll show up eventually. I just hope there's a lot of amazons to get, because that would be awesome, a little battle pack of amazons, count me in.

Hadn't heard Ninjago Movie had a phantom appearance. That's good to know.
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 1,187
    Maybe some of that focus is going to the DC Super Hero Girls theme
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 786
    I'm happy I decided dc sh girls and Lego Batman sets aren't for me
    KingAlanI said:

That makes me sad. I love the details that the Elves, Friends, and SH Girls sets get, but the doll figs are not for me.
    MattPetersen
    KingAlanI said:

That makes me sad. I love the details that the Elves, Friends, and SH Girls sets get, but the doll figs are not for me.
    Thank you! I like the classic minifigure design. 
    My fear is that Lego will ignore female superheroes in the basic line and only produce them for the "superhero girls" line now.
    I desperately want a Saturn Girl to round out my Legion founders. 
    catwrangler
    Yeah, I appreciate the breadth of characters seen in the SH Girls, but I'd love to see them in the normal DC line.

I'd love a Saturn Girl, too.
    MattPetersen
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 1,383

If Justice League does well, it could open the doors to a lot of new DC characters to feature in movies in 2018+ and give Lego the opportunity to make sets based on them. I'm cautiously hopeful. And yes, I have seen BvS:DoJ :-)

• AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,151
    KingAlanI said:

Thank you! I like the classic minifigure design. 
    My fear is that Lego will ignore female superheroes in the basic line and only produce them for the "superhero girls" line now.
    I don't think that should be a major concern. A lot of people had the same worry about the LEGO City theme when LEGO Friends first came out, but in fact we've seen a substantial INCREASE in the number of female figures in LEGO City (even if it's still not 50/50).

It's not like the number of female characters in the DC Super Heroes line was ever that great prior to this year, anyway. Last year there were just 7 new female minifigures in DC Super Heroes sets, as opposed to 36 male ones.
    catwranglerLyichirKingAlanI
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 786
    ^larger male super heroes demographic and larger make super heroes fan base