Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Real or fake minifigs? Please help

Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM SW LondonPosts: 914
So, a number of years ago I did a trade with someone on a local vBulletin style forum. In fact it's been so long that I can't recall the full details, but I'm almost certain that I thought of it as a cracking deal at the time, which has fueled my current paranoia. Anyway, what I received was Alfred and Killer Croc minifigs from Batman I. 

Recently something quite inocuous happened - on the same forum I noticed the same guy saying he had Alfred for trade. It struck me as low odds that someone would have a second Alfred lying around having traded one to me already, and I started to wonder. I remembered also that he once mentioned having Decool minifigs in his collection, and the paranoid meter went up to 11. 

Anyway, I took the minifigs out and I've taken some pictures, hoping someone here can confirm I'm being paranoid. Any help appreciated.

-----------------------

Here are the pics of Alfred. I was initially worried that I didn't recognise that style of head, which Killer Croc shares, but my Batman I Two-Face (which I believe is legit - bought on BL from seller with pedigree) has the same style. As you can see below, there is a 'LEGO' stamped on the top part of the legs, but it is in a different position from where it's printed on Croc's legs (Alfred's is vertical, Croc's is horizontal). The LEGO logo is also on both minifigure necks, though the camera wasn't able to focus well enough to show it properly on Alfred. There is no LEGO stamp on the inside of the legs at the base, but judging from some of my old minifigures this may just be something that is done on newer ones. 

Here's Killer Croc (apart from his head, which I seem to have forgotten to take a picture of):

Comments

• LuLegoLuLego UKPosts: 474
    They look fine to me.

It wouldn't be a Chinese copy as decool and SY don't fake the Lego logo. It's been a while since I was caught with a fake (last year). Yes there were stacks of fake Dead Pool figures and I know decool faked some of the older sets in recent times,  such as the bat tank with bane, but I've never seen that version of Alfred copied (unless copied recently - but your purchase was a while ago).

however, that wouldn't rule out a custom printed on genuine Lego pieces - of which I have no experience other than seeing Alfred for sale on eBay as custom printed.
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersPosts: 1,559
    Whilst I couldn't comment on the exact figure you hold like for like as I do not own these ones myself, if these were picked up a few years ago, you have to remember the fakes were a bit crappier back then and an easier spot due to their quality of plastic, printing and clutch. If you are really trying hard to find a flaw, maybe there isn't one to find.

If the same guy is swapping another, and he's a keen AFOL/trader I'd say it's perfectly reasonable to suggest that he's picked another along the way. It's quite an old figure now. Maybe he's ditching it as there's a lot more interest in the modern versions of Alfred?

Hopefully a current owner can check your pics and solve it. A little paranoia never hurt anyone though - everyone is out to screw you over ;-)

• Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM SW LondonPosts: 914
    Thanks both, starting to think it is my mind working overtime. Fingers crossed!
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 3,743 miles to Legoboy's housePosts: 10,230
    They look good to me, but the only thing that concerns me are the legs/hips for each minifigure; not that they are fake, but one or the other may not be the original legs/hips. I need to look through my minfigures, but the LEGO stamped inside the pegs has changed size and location over the years. I need to find out when they went to a vertically stamped LEGO inside the pegs.
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesPosts: 3,850
    edited March 3
    I'm not too familiar with Batman 1 figures, but I can tell you that if you've had them for a number of years they're probably fine. Clones/knock-offs have been around for awhile, but that business really only started booming recently. If the figures look like they haven't faded at all, then I wouldn't be concerned.

And to address your other suspicion, having multiple copies of a rare figure shouldn't always raise red flags. I may be an anomaly, but at times I've had 10-20+ copies of rare figures (CCBF, Jango Fett, SDCC figs, NYTF figs, etc).
    Pitfall69YodaliciousSteve_J_OMkiki180703
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 1,743
    These are 100% legit, plastic molding is correct, printing is correct. Fufu would also not have the Lego logo.
    Steve_J_OMkiki180703
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM SW LondonPosts: 914
    Thanks everyone, my mind is at ease. Perhaps a mod could close this, since it seems to have served its purpose? @CapnRex101
This discussion has been closed.
Recent discussions Categories Privacy Policy