You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Lego adhesive tape

legomentallegomental UkMember Posts: 274
Apologies if this has already been posted and is old news (I did do a quick search and couldn't find anything relevant) but I am ever so slightly excited by this find. 

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lego-compatible-adhesive-tape-nimuno-loops#/

I'm thinking lego cornicing, lego architrave, lego kitchen art ...... the possibilities are endless and amazing

Jackad7AllBrickjames.sparhampharmjod

Comments

• nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 625
    I can see a few problems. First is how close are the tolerances going to be? At that price they will be fairly loose so god knows what the clutch will be like. Then there is a material issue. If its flexible then you have more variable clutch issues. There is also the adhesive on the other side, when I pull a brick off will it pull the tape off? As you can tell I'm not a fan :)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,011
    I saw it a couple of days ago. Too expensive for UK once shipping is included, plus VAT and RM fee.

I'm also not sure about longevity and strength.

• catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,325
    Yeah, it'll be interesting to hear how well it survives once it's in people's hands/on their surfaces and they've been using it for a while. If all goes well and a UK distributor gets hold of it, I wouldn't be averse to getting a roll, though...
  • legomentallegomental UkMember Posts: 274
    Yeah, it'll be interesting to hear how well it survives once it's in people's hands/on their surfaces and they've been using it for a while. If all goes well and a UK distributor gets hold of it, I wouldn't be averse to getting a roll, though...
    Me neither it could definitely be a lot of fun for the kids
  • preusspreuss CanadaMember Posts: 36
    I was about to order the 10 roll bundle, but they only come in red and blue. I wanted either a neutral color or LEGO yellow.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,261
    I have seen just about every member of my LUG that's on Facebook have family/friends post articles about this on their walls. Seems to have caught the attention of many people.

As said above though, I am skeptical. Nice idea but I would prefer to see it action before spending money.
    Bumblepants
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia, BulgariaMember Posts: 3,540
    I have seen just about every member of my LUG that's on Facebook have family/friends post articles about this on their walls. Seems to have caught the attention of many people.

As said above though, I am skeptical. Nice idea but I would prefer to see it action before spending money.
    Yeah several people shared this with me knowing I enjoy Lego but I cannot think of any reason I would want to build off the walls or whatever using tape.
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 330
    The tape may be useful for minifgure display in picture frames? I have one of the Ikea frames and had to build an internal structure from Lego, which makes it rather heavy.
    Jackad7kiki180703
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 805
    I saw it and thought 'what the heck', so I've put an order in (insofar as you can 'order' things on Indiegogo) for four rolls.

Will report back if and when it arrives.
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably rainingMember Posts: 99
    Ordered 4 myself - one of each colour - red, blue, grey & green. Its mainly to be used in my sons room...
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 386
    I am tempted to get some, but I am struggling to think of a practical application. However I think this would be amazing for young kids, it allows them to build on most things. If they made a wider version I could see this being very handy in covering large spaces rather than buying a bunch of base plates.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 597
    @Jackad7 , you might want to look into the mat in the link below. I stumbled into a few of these for $3 each locally. Compatibility with both Duplo and standard-sized Lego is better than I expected. 

https://www.amazon.com/Brick-Building-Rollable-Sided-Silicone/dp/B00U7U1SHW

Jackad7
  • HenkdeVriesHenkdeVries NetherlandsMember Posts: 27
    I ordered as well, out of curiosity and to see what the possibilities are!
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 3,910
    While I can't comment on what adhesive this will use I wouldn't worry about the strength of the tape element- there are some incredibly good double sided tapes available these days that can hold far more weight than you'd imagine. The clutch is a different matter and would require a piece to test before I'd even consider buying any.

More importantly I can think of only one thing I might use this for and frankly I'd rather just buy a tube of super glue instead.
  • MaffyDMaffyD HuddersfieldMember Posts: 1,308
    I'll say something, the idea has got some serious traction on social media and blog mentions - it's been all over my various news feeds etc since it was announced. Getting quite sick and tired of it now. Bah humbug to innovation! :-)
    BuriedinBricks
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 1,981
    I think it's brilliant and am pretty impressed with the concept. Last I checked their goal was $8k and they were at $550k. Looks like they got themselves a million dollar idea potentially so good for them. And I think the target demographic is kids. To that end, it's a great idea and looks to be lots of fun. I'd love to see LEGO buy the concept off of them and make it an official product. 
    legomentalkiki180703
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 1,449
    pharmjod said:
    I think it's brilliant and am pretty impressed with the concept. Last I checked their goal was $8k and they were at $550k. Looks like they got themselves a million dollar idea potentially so good for them. And I think the target demographic is kids. To that end, it's a great idea and looks to be lots of fun. I'd love to see LEGO buy the concept off of them and make it an official product. 
    but wouldn't it kind of destroy the purpose of the system?
    like a lot of advanced technics could just be achieved by applying a bit of lego tape, so it would make many current connections methods obsolete.
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably rainingMember Posts: 99
    They're over 1 million now. 14,516% of their target
    pharmjodkiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 6,544
    Would've made a nice Ideas set?
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia, BulgariaMember Posts: 3,540
    edited March 18
    SumoLego said:
    Would've made a nice Ideas set?
    I think originally non-Lego Ideas ideas were somewhat common until they redid the rules to exclude them. Stuff like iPhone cases with studs etc.