You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

How long does it take Brick Link to add EVERYTHING from a new set?

CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 140
edited March 20 in Buying & Selling Topics
I have a store obviously, and have a Silent Mary set that I plan on parting out and selling, but BL only has the actual set in their system. No minifigs, sharks, etc and those are the pieces that will fly off the shelves. Anyone have any experience with how long it takes new sets to be completely added to the system?

Comments

• DaraghDaragh IrelandMember Posts: 320
    It can take days or weeks, depending on whether a user uploads the inventory or how long that takes, then it needs to be approved. 
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,047
    It doesn't actually need to be inventoried for you to sell the minifigs and sharks, etc. If you add them to the catalogue, then you'll be able to start selling them. Even before the set is inventoried.
    CaptainPirateMankiki180703
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 140
    I put them up under the SET for now.
    Much better to add them properly.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 836
    You could always add the inventory to the set yourself.  How else do you think the inventories get onto BrickLink?  ;-)
    madforLEGOasrfarinha
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 620
    Little off topic but does anyone have #85983 vintage motorcyle fairing in red? I need two. Thanks.
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 754
    Anyone have any experience with how long it takes new sets to be completely added to the system?
    For something very desirable like the Silent Mary, it's usually faster.  In fact, I see it's already showing up as "in progress", which means that at least a preliminary inventory has been submitted.  Often within a week or two.  For other things, it can be many weeks, or months, or even never for some rare, oddball stuff.

It depends on the speed of volunteers and admins.  I waited for nearly 2 months for #10724 to be inventoried (I was waiting to buy things from it), and found out that a lot of sellers had bought copies of the set, but hadn't bothered inventorying it yet, because it was (I assume) too much effort.  So I went ahead, bought a copy of the set, and inventoried it myself, because I wanted stuff ASAP, and I was sick of waiting.

With that said, it takes some time to properly inventory a set, so it's no surprise that people aren't exactly lining up to do it.  There are a lot of part variants that you might assume incorrectly, colors that aren't clear (like the slew of metallic colors), there's pictures to take, sub-inventories to complete (for minifigs and some new parts), and all the while you have to keep an eye on which IDs have been taken (or are in progress) to pick the right ID for each part.  It took me 2 or 3 evenings to do all the inventorying, photography, photoshopping, and integration, and then another week or two to get everything approved while I made adjustments.

But it's all based on user input, so by all means, submit inventories if you think you can do it!

DaveE

I can't believe they haven't automated at least a first draft automatic import of new inventories from Lego. It would probably save 95% of the time for a bigger set, with a little admin for any new parts and then the minifigs.
    Bumblepants
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 836
    ^ I believe it does give you this option where available if you want to add an inventory, such that 90-95% of the parts list is included (so it is "automatic" but only when manually triggered...).  However, it still requires checking for this and the other parts that aren't.