Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Where do you build?

MrKettleMrKettle WindsorMember Posts: 77
I'm not sure if this is the right part of the forum to be asking this but here goes...

Where do you guys build your Lego? Do you have a special table and what is your usual set up?

I ask because I have just moved house and everything got disassembled and bagged. When I come to rebuilding the Ghostbusters  HQ I don't want to just pour 4000 pieces onto my kitchen table where bits can fall off, roll around, or generally find some other way of getting lost. 

Do do you have a table with raised sides or a table with storage boxes etc... Where do you build yours?

Comments

• The_Mad_VulcanThe_Mad_Vulcan SeattleMember Posts: 157
    I still build on the floor --> old habits die hard.

But I'm starting to get why nobody does that, and looking to change my ways.
    ClutchPowerbandit778GothamConstructionCojosekalel
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 1,381

If it's a smaller set, I build on a lap tray in the lounge using a jigsaw piece sorter to keep the lego in while I build - the instructions go either next to me on the sofa, or on a small table where I put my drink. It's a little awkward to be honest, but it means my wife and I can talk while I build and she watches 24HA&E or whatever.

Larger sets use the same jigsaw sorter, but on the dining room table. We don't use that table much so I can leave bits out - I rarely complete larger builds in one go. In fact, I've not done a large build in ages.

Children's sets are done wherever the children are - kitchen, sun lounge, hallway, bathroom, living room floor, table, chair. They're not fussy. It drives me up the wall (where I am sure they would also build, if it were possible :-)!

bandit778catwranglersnowhitie
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 410

But I'm starting to get why nobody does that, and looking to change my ways.
    same for the larger stuff, started that when #10212 forced me on the floor after unpacking when the entire desk was full with bags... some other large builds just made it more clear, too. small stuff can work with some boxes over the keyboard on the desk.
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 40

I'm the same way but it depends on what I'm building. The big Technic sets demand to be built on my dining room table or the table in my sunroom if it's warm enough outside, as do modular buildings. Smaller sets like the Yellow Submarine get built on my coffee table, usually with baseball on.  When I'm working on Brickadelphia, which is down in the basement, I'm usually on the floor.  Now that the basement is almost done being tiled, I can finally start building the table for my city and most of the construction will be on that, which is waist-level. Won't kill my back or my knees.

My one skyscraper I was working on in the dining room on my day off on Sunday.  The Wife tried to be mad that I was monopolizing the dining room table while she was grading tests, but couldn't be because I wasn't downstairs in the basement and we were able to have a seemingly rare day off together.  

I prefer building on the floor as there's a million ways to splay out and it's throwback-y, but it's getting harder to physically do so.  
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 911
    I have been a floor builder all my life, and I'm not planning to change my ways. No shame, no apologies. :)
    GothamConstructionCoThe_Mad_Vulcanchuckp
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 474
    I have a Lego room where I work on MOC's, but I tend to build new sets upstairs on the kitchen table to be around my wife and dogs.  She gets mad that the newly constructed sets tend to collect on the tables and countertops (they eventually make it downstairs, I swear) but likes that I'm not secluded by myself all day during my free time.
    stlux
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 949
    I build for myself in my study, on a couple of Ikea tables, upon which my modulars are laid out. Except when I've taken over the dining room table for a temporary Minecraft, or other, display.
    I build with my daughters either on their LEGO play table or, again, on the dining room table.
    My knees can't handle building on the floor anymore. :-(
    stlux
  • MrKettleMrKettle WindsorMember Posts: 77
    Thanks for this. Wasn't sure what to look for. 
    I have just taken over a property with a large  attic space with an oak beam floor so sadly building on the floor is it an option for me. I intend to have an area for building and the a mixture of tables and expedit/Kallax units to display.

I'm of the "too old to sit on the floor" lot so I'll need a table. I'm thunking that when it comes to the bugs sets I am going to need a BIG table. 
    josekalel
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,391
    I sometimes sort on the floor because I need so many containers around me to sort into, but it involves a footstool, a cushion and a hot water bottle for my  back!
    Salamalex
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 2,330
    I use my back bedroom. I have a couple of white Ikea tables to build on, with my parts stored in bookcases and drawer units either side of me, along each side wall.

The white tables mean you can see everything on them - even white and trans-clear parts.

I use large foil trays and smaller plastic trays to put the parts in when building. You can get packs of 3 or 4 from pound stores.
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 369
    I usually use the living room table, where my daughter can come and join me if she wants to, if I need to use online instructions or do some modifications to things like a modular building, I'll just use my desk in the study. I could never build on the floor, I'd lose all the pieces and my back would kill me!
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 1,534
    on my bed. I only use a table for large sets, particularly modulars, because of the flexible base plate.
  • OrmskirkBricksOrmskirkBricks England, UKMember Posts: 171
    I use Ikea modular tables, started with one...then two...now heading to UK-MK-Ikea soon to get two more. Oh and more Besta units to expand my besta collection.
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 414
    small sets are built anywhere. On my lap in front of the TV, in the LEGO room, on the bed. Modulars and Technic gets built on a couple of big plain trays on the kitchen table.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 545
    edited April 10

A local Lego Robotics business recently moved, and I was able to buy two of their building tables.  About 4' x 6' each (see a well-known set in the picture for scale). They are custom-made painted wood, and have about a 3/4" raised lip all around to keep parts from falling off the table.  I know this can be a little painful when resting your arms on the table, but this way it's easy to move pieces around during sorting without worrying about all those little trans-clear 1x1 round plates falling off onto the camouflage-ing carpet...I'll probably keep one for myself and let the kids use the other one for their use.

(For anyone who wonders:  this is my finished basement and my Lego display area.  All the shelving you see is custom, built-in against the wall.  Eventually, all those boxes and bags will be replaced by the built sets...it's a work in progress...)

Legogramchuckpcatwranglerprevere
    Oooh those are the kind of tables I want/need. Nice basement. 
  • RecceRecce 10,171km away from BillundMember Posts: 498
    This is where I build and play, i.e. on the floor.

I've since tidied up a bit and dump many of the completed models onto display shelves and also kept in storage drawers and containers etc.

ClutchPowerLegogram
  • josekaleljosekalel Rio Grande Valley, TexasMember Posts: 649
    I don't have much space to build or display; the top of my dresses has the modulars and some other builds.

As far as the building goes, if it's a small set, I use a large white tray to build it sitting down in a sofa while watching something on TV. For the bigger sets, I have used the dining table. I have tried building sets laying down in bed but it gets uncomfortable rather quickly...and on the floor does not work for me either. 
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 369
    ^ Dad! I'm turning into Lego!

(at least that's what my 5-year old exclaims whenever she pushes a plate onto another and creates an antistud in her finger)
    catwranglerpreverestluxMynattGalactus
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 410
    ^ at least that is impossible for pinholes and technic pins :P

• Legopassion8Legopassion8 6011 MILES from Bora BoraMember Posts: 1,078
    On the floor. There's carpet on the floor. I like to live dangerously.
  • RecceRecce 10,171km away from BillundMember Posts: 498

prevere said:

This is how my 2-year-old likes to build.

She's sitting on the bricks in the container! Definitely had high pain tolerance. :)
    Legogram