Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

UCS falcon rumours (that turned out to be true!)

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 3,923
    Thankful that is the Aus price. Geez. Going to be tough to justify but if that is real I will probably find a way to one.
    bobabricks
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,481
    ^ Or fake/mocked up more likely. If that is a true image then absolutely nothing has happened to it. Also, if it is true then why is it listed next to the last system MF #7965
    BumblepantsbobabricksTyresOFlahertykiki180703AllBrick
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,727

Leak alert! Probably already deleted from the site. :/

Why did that search not bring up the current 75105 Millennium Falcon? It seems very strange that they would show two retired products and a forthcoming one, but not the one that is actually being sold right now.
    bobabricksSprinkleOttermadforLEGOClutchPowerkiki180703

Wemonkeyhanger said:

^ Or fake/mocked up more likely. If that is a true image then absolutely nothing has happened to it. Also, if it is true then why is it listed next to the last system MF #7965

Yeah it is April 1. Good point

bobabricksKingDavepharmjodSumoLegoClutchPowerkiki180703Lordmoral
    I had completely lost track of what day it is, more Tom Foolery to come!
    bobabrickspharmjodBumblepantsClutchPowerkiki180703
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,818
    Stay keen, stay sharp, and always remember what day it is...
    AllBrick
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 677
    edited April 1
    I wonder how many more leaks we will see today? ;)

EDIT: Looks like I was beaten to it!
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 640
    April 1st in Australia (and it's a HUGE thing here). The strange part is that the listed price IS the price I'm expecting it to be upon release...
    Lego shop at home got a fun Joker treatment. That is what reminded me.
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 210
    The past few years we've "known" what the next UCS would be well ahead of time through rumours. We've known about the Snowspeeder for over a year although I'll admit the release of the Hoth playset made me question whether that was "it." 

There are plenty of reasons to redo the Falcon, as many reasons not to. I'd like to hope we'd see a bigger and better version as smaller and crapper doesn't really fulfill the marketing of it being the "Ultimate" iteration.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 410

Leak alert! Probably already deleted from the site. :/

Nice try. Where's 75105?
    bobabrickskiki180703
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,003

^ For the umpteenth time on this forum, someone has expressed an opinion... Granted, their opinion is based on flawed logic, but then again, no more so than your own. 
      TLG DOES care about resellers and what they do. TLG has an absolute hard on for resellers!  They DO care about a set that has LONG since been retired goes for what it goes for.  I won't say 'They just do', I'll explain why - Market perception.  ANY company would kill for the market perception that TLG carries.  At present, this product can withstand consistent price increases whilst providing an (apparently) consistent drop in both actual product quality, quality assurance and base manufacturing cost while staving off inroads by competitors whose product quality is MASSIVELY improving.  Add to this the often reported and upheld by General public opinion fact that their product is a more sensible long term investment than gold or cash (albeit false) and you've got a marketers wet dream.
      Anyone who thinks that TLG don't LOVE what happens in the reselling market is living in fairy land.

Yes, and I expressed mine, your point? Yeah I got a bit lazy, but let me expand my answer. First, did I say that LEGO does not reap benefits from the secondary market? No, I said they do not care if someone is selling a set for thousands. Here is why:
    If LEGO really cared that 1000 (heck even 10K) people were clamoring for a set that was discontinued ,over a new set that could attract a million fans to buy, they would have done the UCS Falcon long before, and not waited until now. The Emerald Knight would be available. The Imperial Flagship, especially with the next POTC movie, would be back. LEGO would spend tons of money redoing dies for the Market Street and Cafe Corner parts and be redoing those sets. Monorails would be on every shelf, and the Grand Carousel would be readily available to all that want it. Why has that not happened? Because, again, LEGO does not care about the secondary market.
    Does LEGO NOT like resellers? I'm sure, but ONLY because they are not a authorized LEGO seller; not because people are selling old sets long discontinued.
    LEGO makes their money on a set produced, that is all they care about. The Secondary market is good for one thing,part of what you and what @CCC said:

CCC said:

KingDave said:

After the new version of the Death Star I think the Falcon UCS re-tooled was just a matter of time. TLG don't like re-sellers, but more than that they really don't like re-sellers who gorge fans for prices #10179 have been going for. Doing a new version will let all the air out of that bubble, which is a win win for TLG and the fans.

Lego have probably sold many, many sets on the back of stories saying put a lego set away for 10 years and it is worth 10x what you paid for it.

Sure, it generates demand because of foolish people that think they will win the lottery buying more LEGO product, not less. But that does NOT mean LEGO is targeting resellers in their decisions. The Reseller market is a happy accident. Why do I say that? LEGO has discontinued thousands of sets in their history, this is nothing new. They are not doing it to generate revenue or a market. They do it because they realize sets get stale and they need to stay ahead of competitors.
    @CM4S doesn't it feel better to FINALLY get that off your chest?
    CM4Sgmonkey76kiki180703Goldchainssonsofsceva
    @madforLEGO - why TLG cares about what long retired sets and what they go for is supply and demand. Construct a Zergs can still be bought at close to retail because there is high supply and limited demand, UCS Falcons are in limited supply and have extremely high demand (hence why they are ridiculously priced).  The value of aftermarket sets is an EXTREMELY good indicator of what will and won't sell and TLG monitor this EXTREMELY closely. Hence why the next Creator expert train will be a steamer similar to Emerald Night and we will see rerelease of the Carousel sooner or later.  The interesting thing about both those sets is that they were quite flawed in their initial releases (the self destructing carousel in particular).  However, aftermarket prices indicate a HUGE demand for both - so we will see them.  I'm pretty sure the only reason we haven't yet is due to the fact that TLG want to release a mechanically superior product.  BTW - pretty sure the post ahead of yours shows ONE of the reasons for waiting to rerelease the Falcon (Old trilogy/ new trilogy) and the fact that it ties in nicely to the 40th anniversary is just icing on the cake.  Apologies if I came off snappy in my previous post - just so sick of reading the statement that TLG only care about initial releases because that's where they make their money not on resale (which is inherently true from the initial release) while discounting the MASSIVE heads up the reselling market provides to TLGs marketing division.
    ^ probably should have said "UCS Falcons WERE in limited supply" there ;-)

edited April 1

^ probably should have said "UCS Falcons WERE in limited supply" there ;-)

UCS falcons were not. They were for a time, then they were 'regular' production (Ie no 'limited ed numbers'). LEGO makes plans for a new set, sells what they have, and moves on. Simple as that, or again all of these set that are in demand now would be out again to stick it to the resellers, but they are not. UCS falcons are ridiculously priced because it was ten odd years ago they were last out.. and at the time 500 dollars. So much so not being sold that they had to discount them. I think to 275 dollars if memory serves me correctly.
    As for soon to be released sets. 'Like a set', and 'is the set' are two different things. If LEGO simply comes out with another steam power loco, that is purple with pink polka dots, is it 'like' the EN? Sure, it is a steam locomotive, but not the EN. Same with the Carousel, likely more to do with design (like you say) than sticking it to resellers, which was the comment I was initially countering.
    Are they doing a steam loco and carousel because of the secondary market? Perhaps, or perhaps the LEGO execs understood they have a customer clamoring for these sets outside of what they go for on reseller sites?  I mean, does it really take a 'secondary market' researcher to determine that a steam loco and Carousel would sell to a LEGO market? Im sure people have barraged LEGO spokespeople with requests for those for some time now.

In regards to LEGO using the secondary market as a basis for info. You said it yourself: Supply and demand, which skews true demand for a new set IMO. If someone looks at a price of an EN on eBay. Is the price that high due to demand, or is it more due to the lack of supplies compared to demand? Two vastly different numbers IMO , and you cannot run a company on those numbers.
    LEGO makes decisions based on how many will sell, not what is 'hot' on sites like eBay.
    For example, If you have 100 ENs available on eBay at 500 a piece, is it because 1M people want it, or because there are only 100 on eBay?

This also goes back to my other point if LEGO used the secondary market to make decisions. Where is Haunted House? A set so much 'in demand' that a company in China stole the design and it is knocking off copies as we speak? Where is Town Hall?
    Finally yes the Falcon would be released more due to the timing, and less likely the secondary market.
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 675

CM4S said:

Ah what the heck, here you go everyone. Enjoy! 

I think that would make 99% of AFOLs happy, and sell very nicely at £600.  Hopefully someone in TLG is reading this!
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 833
    Well, there is "hot" on eBay and then there is the UCS Falcon. Haunted House and Ferris Wheel are selling for less than 2xMSRP, Emerald Night tops out around 3x MSRP - for MISB sets. Used copies are selling below MSRP. Meanwhile the Falcon sells for over $1000 used or bricklinked, and one MISB shows as sold for over $10K. And the clone Falcons are selling are selling for half (or less) than the expected price of a new version from LEGO.

As 10179 is a flagship set, LEGO needs to get a new one out to the market before Lepin really manages to start selling in the US, or they will lose a lot of sales to Lepin, because there are a LOT of potential customers who will look at two nearly identical physical products and buy the one that costs 50% less. Many AFOLs may refuse to but a Lepin set on moral grounds, but I'd wager a lot more potential buyers feel that sorting out the morality/legality of the sets is up to LEGO. Most people I know believe if you can buy an item on Amazon it has already made it past the lawyers, and it is their job to keep illegal stuff out of the marketplace.

edited April 1

Well, there is "hot" on eBay and then there is the UCS Falcon. Haunted House and Ferris Wheel are selling for less than 2xMSRP, Emerald Night tops out around 3x MSRP - for MISB sets. Used copies are selling below MSRP. Meanwhile the Falcon sells for over $1000 used or bricklinked, and one MISB shows as sold for over $10K. And the clone Falcons are selling are selling for half (or less) than the expected price of a new version from LEGO.

As 10179 is a flagship set, LEGO needs to get a new one out to the market before Lepin really manages to start selling in the US, or they will lose a lot of sales to Lepin, because there are a LOT of potential customers who will look at two nearly identical physical products and buy the one that costs 50% less. Many AFOLs may refuse to but a Lepin set on moral grounds, but I'd wager a lot more potential buyers feel that sorting out the morality/legality of the sets is up to LEGO. Most people I know believe if you can buy an item on Amazon it has already made it past the lawyers, and it is their job to keep illegal stuff out of the marketplace.

Umm, Ferris Wheel is still being made, so no surprise it is selling for less than 2x MSRP. You mean the Grand Carousel? The one that sells for about 2K+ now MISB? Unless you mean the Town Hall and Haunted House. Used copies of EN selling for under MSRP? What site are you looking at? eBay has them going for 225 to 300 for a used one.  Also EN, new in box is selling for 500 USD in sealed box on eBay, far more than its 100 price tag when new. 

Never mind that the Haunted House and Town Hall were both rapidly climbing in only 6 months until knockoffs appeared and unscrupulous folks started buying an illegal product.

Amazon is not a good example of what can be sold in the US either. If the seller is based out of China selling a knockoff to import into the US, then Amazon theoretically cannot do anything about importing toys. They can however stop folks in the US from selling these in the US. So if you see folks in the US selling these knockoffs, and not getting pulled from Amazon, then be concerned.
    IMO the bigger issue is Ali Baba's site, as you can buy a TON of LEGO knockoffs on there, and for dirt cheap as well.
    Otherwise I would not worry about Lepin. I doubt retailers will be selling blatant knockoffs of LEGO designs in the US unless they want to be sued into the ground by LEGO.
    Bumblepants
    ^ 50% less for the Lepin Product vs expected RRP of the new one? More like 70% less. I think most would expect at least £500/$600 and perhaps £600/$750, and Lepin are knocking them out for £160. For many people that's too big a differential if they look hatd enough. For now there are plenty who don't know Lepin exist who may otherwise make the cheaper choice. A newly issued UCS MF only looks cheap compared to the current aftermarket alternative. It may still be a poor seller if they don't make it a short run. At times I think AFOLs desperate for the redo because they missed out last time overestimate the general demand.
    Jackad7datsunrobbie

madforLEGO said: 

CCC said:

KingDave said:

After the new version of the Death Star I think the Falcon UCS re-tooled was just a matter of time. TLG don't like re-sellers, but more than that they really don't like re-sellers who gorge fans for prices #10179 have been going for. Doing a new version will let all the air out of that bubble, which is a win win for TLG and the fans.

Lego have probably sold many, many sets on the back of stories saying put a lego set away for 10 years and it is worth 10x what you paid for it.

Sure, it generates demand because of foolish people that think they will win the lottery buying more LEGO product, not less. But that does NOT mean LEGO is targeting resellers in their decisions. The Reseller market is a happy accident. Why do I say that? LEGO has discontinued thousands of sets in their history, this is nothing new. They are not doing it to generate revenue or a market. They do it because they realize sets get stale and they need to stay ahead of competitors.

I don't understand what that has to do with my post or the one i quoted. I don't think Lego cares about resellers asking $5K for a 10 year old set, and probably less than resellers of current product, at least the good ones who manage to short stock them on the popular sets.
    SumoLegomonkeyhanger
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 7,767
    edited April 1
    Stay keen, stay sharp, and always remember what day it is...

Hump Day?!?!?!?

(And seriously, what is going on with the formatting on the site?  I feel like I'm reading GMAIL.)
    MynattVorpalRyuSprinkleOtter
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 525

There a big difference between Lego brand retail shop employees and those employed by Lego corporate with regard to insider knowledge. @KingDave was referring to the latter given his word choice and that lends credibility to it.

There have been enough hints and such dropped the last few months by numerous folk with a track record of being right about these sorts of things that I fully expect to see a new Falcon this Fall.

Like I said, I want it to be true, and I hope those saying it's coming are right.

But the rumors now are identical to the rumors last year and the year before that.  Several supposedly "in the know" people hinting about it that had a track record of being right.  I think it was someone on Euro Bricks who everyone said was never wrong. 

Maybe he was just a year early?
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,091
    I don't remember yearly rumors.. the first we heard about it was last year, no?
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRADedgecko
    ^ I think the rumours have been floating around for at least three to four years. However, last year was when REPUTABLE sources started offering up the rumours (and well thought out, sometimes strangely obtuse clues)
    Not that I'd ever point or throw rocks at anyone...
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 468

SumoLego said:
    And by the way, the UCS Falcon must have a younger and old Chewy - if you're going to do a younger and old Han.  C'mon, people!

Chewie is ageless
    SumoLego
  • madejp86madejp86 IllinoisMember Posts: 160
    So is this April Fool's joke over? lol
    Jackad7
  • VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
    Yeah, can we get on with out lives , I'm so split with how I felt when I read the header and the possible price . My eyes widened and it felt like the long said prophecy finally came true . 

I have to admit there was a part of me which also berated a sigh of relief realising what this was... because as soon as I read the UCS Mil header I had started doing numbers and they were big numbers . Plus with with all my back log of the Disney castle and town square mod... I think I can wait a full year before I'm ready to dish out $800  . Too much pressure ..

Relieffff! :*(

snowhitie
  • waynlewiswaynlewis USAMember Posts: 74

Saw this in a recent Blocks magazine.
    CM4SMAGNINOMINISUMBRAkiki180703DedgeckosonsofscevaClutchPowerTXLegoguyjosekalelBartelas
    Well.. there are actually seven Last Jedi sets.

I think that's awesome though, a little rumor mill section.
    SprinkleOtter
    ^^--So...... a UCS Space Slug?
    gmonkey76monkeyhangerSumoLegoKingDaveSeanTheCollectorkiki180703bobabrickssnowhitieClutchPower
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 955
    UCS Moisture Vaporator!

Come on!  Finally my "Uncle Lars & Aunt Beru get barbecued" diorama will be complete!
    catwranglersonsofscevaCommanderRaab

CM4S said:

I don't remember yearly rumors.. the first we heard about it was last year, no?

3 years ago was when I first started seriously considering purchasing #10179.  I remember doing a lot of googling to see if a re-release was coming and I saw posts going back a couple years with rumors and speculation of a re-release. 

But you're right, as far as I know last year was the first year with someone supposedly "in the know" saying it was coming.  I can't remember - when did those rumors last year say it was coming?  Maybe the last year rumors are still correct, they were just predicting 2 years down the road? 

KingDave
    I'm guessing this was probably already posted since it looks like older news but this definitely lends more credence to the rumors -

https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/5z4tkn/lego_cmofficer_julia_goldin_confirms_possibility/

I'm starting to believe!  Which makes me worry it won't happen...

Look what Lego has done to me.  I went from buying 10179 for strictly investment purposes to 1 year later having a house overflowing with Lego and not giving 2 turds if a re-release causes said investment to tank.  I just want to get my hands on it and build it! 

SeanTheCollector
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 1,759

I'm guessing this was probably already posted since it looks like older news but this definitely lends more credence to the rumors -

https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/5z4tkn/lego_cmofficer_julia_goldin_confirms_possibility/

I'm starting to believe!  Which makes me worry it won't happen...

Look what Lego has done to me.  I went from buying 10179 for strictly investment purposes to 1 year later having a house overflowing with Lego and not giving 2 turds if a re-release causes said investment to tank.  I just want to get my hands on it and build it! 

"It's possible" means nothing, especially when she goes on to say a bit later in the "interview", "it's possible" to a Star Trek Lego Theme, of which Kr#-O (Hasbro) has the licence (which, by all accounts, Paramount & Hasbro are happy keeping it this way). She is in marketing, not production, so she probably doesn't know of every set that is in planning or entering production, if anything she's saying "it's possible," to avoid getting it wrong either way.
    gmonkey76SumoLegostluxcatwranglerxiahna
    The could do a great marketing experiment. Re-release a similar one to the last, priced at say $1000, announce it as the set of the decade - the investment vehicle that went up by 10x when released in the last decade. They could also start rumours that the set is limited to 10000* and see how fast it flies off the shelves. *10000 per country or US state.

VorpalRyuMAGNINOMINISUMBRASumoLego
    ^ as Pharmjod said on the last page - "it'll be a slam dunk based on the number of idiots buying it and thinking it will appreciate the same way as the last one.  I'm going to personally be interested to see if there are more fans complaining about the ridiculous price tag or the fact they can't get their hands on one because of the amount of inexperienced speculative investors clearing the shelves of them.
    pharmjod
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 955
    So just out of interest, what does the panel think would happen?

For the purposes of our discussion, let's say that they release the following:
    • New Falcon under the UCS branding
    • Different, but not significantly different from #10179, say some slightly different techniques, the two different radar dishes etc
    • Between 5.5k and 6k parts, so not much bigger
    • Not a limited edition like the Technic Crawler, but a 'standard' UCS release like Slave1
    I paid a substantial amount last year for a MISB #10179, and I'd be fine either way.  The original was a bit of a 'holy grail' for me, and I bought it to build, not stash away as an investment.  If there isn't a new one, then I've still got 'mine'.  If there is a new one, I'll almost certainly buy it because:

a) It'll be a darn sight cheaper than last year's purchase
    b) It'll still be a cool set in it's own right

I've no idea how many of the original were bought, though I've heard the stories of discounts due to poor sales, but you can guarantee that should it be released, the mainstream media will be all over it.  Not only would it be a 'cool, expensive Star Wars toy', but with #10179's history, it would be in the Money sections of the broadsheets as well as the regular media.
    mustang69Lobot
    If they do one, it wouldn't surprise me if they made it not too different in part count or size, maybe just updating techniques and details. They could leave off the UCS badge from the box but include a plaque.

I think it should be set number 10109 - it looks a bit like the original number but ....

10179 was similar in number to another popular favourite, 10197 Fire Brigade. So 10109 will be similar to 10190 Market Street.

People can then argue for the next seven years* whether or not it is indeed a UCS, just like whether or not Market Street is a modular. * Seven years, because that is how long they should have it available at retail (just like the DS), so we can have seven years worth of predictions about when the bloody thing will go away again so investors can start profiting from it.

• PatsyWalkerPatsyWalker TorontoMember Posts: 70

CM4S said:

Tell me more...
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 782
    ^ Old Luke is only in the most expensive set, and he's not in a set with Ray. Unfortunately Leia is in the second most expensive set. Just my guess.

CM4S said:

Tell me more...

That is not information from me - Brickset has seven listed. No TLJ (or any other) info from me. 
    edited April 4
    ^ Plus four constraction figures.
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 251

CCC said:

I think it should be set number 10109 - it looks a bit like the original number but ....

10179 was similar in number to another popular favourite, 10197 Fire Brigade. So 10109 will be similar to 10190 Market Street.

I don't see why though. Or is it just a wish?
    ^ I suspect set numbers are assigned in numerical order (within certain designated ranges). So I doubt TLG really cares if two set numbers look similar.
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 728
    edited April 6

^ I suspect set numbers are assigned in numerical order (within certain designated ranges). So I doubt TLG really cares if two set numbers look similar.

More or less, though occasionally they do pick a specific number. According to Marcos Bessa:
    http://www.brickfinder.net/2017/03/10/one-one-lego-senior-designer-marcos-bessa/
    BF: I know that each LEGO designer does include a couple of Easter Eggs into their builds. Could you share a few with us?

MB: (laughs) The Batman: Arkham Asylum Breakout (10937) was my first D2C set which came out in 2012. Since it was my first set, and as most D2C sets have five digits for their item number, I asked my superior if the set number could be “10937” because if you turn it upside down, it says “ㄥƐ60Ɩ” or “LEGO”.

Galactus said:

CCC said:

I don't see why though. Or is it just a wish?

Because rumours and coincidences give fans something to argue about.