Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

UCS falcon rumours (that turned out to be true!)

Comments

• GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 251
    ^ I agree, but this one is probably a bit to far fetched for me.
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,119
    $600 MFing dollars?

(Is financing available?)
    josekalel
  • A.BrickovskyA.Brickovsky PolandMember Posts: 56

CM4S said:
    Minifigures include Hoth Han, Hoth Leia, Chewbacca, Rey, BB-8, Finn, Old Han

Oh, then you posted it already! With two radars.
    Or was it April 1st...
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,091
    Stash just reassured the appearance of a white Leia, Dark Blue Han, and a tan c-3PO along with a circular dish 

also nearing $800
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,815

CM4S said:

Stash just reassured the appearance of a white Leia, Dark Blue Han, and a tan c-3PO along with a circular dish 

also nearing $800

Wait what the hell?!?!? When did the extra $200 come into play??
    MynattAllBrick
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,199
    edited April 8
    Ha. If it's $800 I'm out.  I'm probably out at $600 but I could at least get it sub $500 with discounted tru gc. 
  • A.BrickovskyA.Brickovsky PolandMember Posts: 56
    I expected $600 and I'd gladly part with that. But $800 looks kinda sick actually, or doesn't it?
    Bumblepants
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 3,980

$600 MFing dollars?

(Is financing available?)

What's the conversion rate of a MilleniumFalcon-ing dollar?
    bandit778BillyBricks84Lego_StarPenkid11ricecakechuckpCraig_B
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 392
    edited April 8
    I'm fairly certain that statement about it being "$800" was just a joke to rile us up. It should be $600. No more, no less.
    eggshenbobabricks
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 7,736
    I'll wait for a full-scale B-Wing that is 2 million pieces and priced at a gazillion-billion dollars.
    gmonkey76VorpalRyuMynattmatticus_bricksbobabricksjosekalel
    edited April 8
    I don't know any retail purchaser paying $800.00 for such a set.  

Unless they only make 100 of them.  Then it really is only for the resale and collector market.

(Then what is the point?)

I would expect a lower piece-per-dollar ratio to entice the more pedestrian buyer.  $600.00 would be unprecedented, $800.00 is ridiculous.
    gmonkey76VorpalRyuBumblepantsMAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 637
    I think he's confused with a MISB #4504
    Anyone else wondering how many users are logging on since yesterday and freaking out at more than a dozen new posts on the thread before opening it?
    pharmjodsnowhitie
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 1,759
    At US$600, without the you live in the middle of nowhere tax, based on the current exchange rates, that puts it at AU$800. So I'm guessing we can expect it to be around AU$960, can see that price point being a major stumbling block, especially with the current economic climate here.
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRAxiahna
    ^Only for ACTUAL fans.  The first timers will still clear the shelves. Don't you know these blocks are a better investment than gold? 
    Sidenote - Did you get onto any of those Batcaves or Assualt on Hoths Vorpal?
    VorpalRyu
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 675

^Only for ACTUAL fans.  The first timers will still clear the shelves. Don't you know these blocks are a better investment than gold? 
    Sidenote - Did you get onto any of those Batcaves or Assualt on Hoths Vorpal?

Are they is better investment than gold? Gold does not develop cracks when put on display due to poor build quality. With the state of modern lego, the type of investment feels more risky than once it was...
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
    I'm heavily into Marvel these days, largely stepped away from DC in my teenage years, so I get some DC stuff from time to time for potential crossover MOCs. I only got #75060 because of the MF rumours, I try not to get to heavily into SW, as I like having some money for stuff other than Lego (like food). So no Insulting Hoths or Batcaves for me...

The whole better investment than gold crap has me a little worried that, should I decide I want to get it, that the newbie Lego investors will clear them off shelves as quick as retailers can stock them. Had that happen with the Scooby Doo sets, the first few times Myer & Big W got them in, some those a-holes went from store to store cleaning them out.
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRAjosekalelxiahna
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,782
    edited April 8
    Yep, when papers like The Daily Express are doing a double page spread on 1% interest in the bank, 200% return on Star Wars Lego etc, you know the markets heady!
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
    @TheFew - unfortunately for the Internet, sarcasm cannot be conveyed effectively in the first person written word.  I predict that the new Falcons release will see another plethora of news stories in all realms of media espousing the investment potential of Lego comparative to other mid/long term investment methods.  This will lead to every man and their dog picking up a Falcon to put away for a rainy day.
    @VorpalRyu As above - I predict the new Falcon will initially be quite hard for genuine fans to pick up due to the speculative investors and less educated resellers.  As far as the A-holes clearing out Myer - I used to be that guy to an extent.  I've related elsewhere on the site the good old days of battling with my arch nemesis - 'The man in the little blue van'.  The guy drove one of those little Suzuki Carry vans from Myer to Myer DECIMATING Modular and UCS stocks during 3 for 2 sales.  The only mildly amusing part was that he was driving at least 20ks worth of Lego around in a vehicle that was worth less than the purchase price of a single Modular.
    VorpalRyu
    My other predictions for the new Falcon.
    1. It will be next decades Death Star.
    - Produced in staggering numbers.
    - Stockpiled I'm staggering numbers (generally by inexperienced, single shot investors).
    - Talked about in the predictions thread in EXACTLY the same way the Death Star has been until it's inevitable rerelease.

2. An absolute explosion in dud eBay listings (and unsuccessful PayPal claims) Implyimg it's the rare UCS 10179 that's worth 5k (though not stating so specifically).  I also expect to see identifiable parts and assemblies peppered through bulk Star Wars lots by unscrupulous sellers.
    VorpalRyu
    Have you cleared out 20-30 of the same set from two Myer stores and 6 Big W stores in one morning? Between two of these a-holes, two deliveries back to back, not one Scooby Doo Mystery Mansion or Mystery Machine in Adelaide. The one down my way had the cheek ask if they had more out the back, he was buying for family and friends...
    xiahna
    As for predictions, it would be funny if TLG turned the new UCS Falcon into the new "when will it go/is it worth stashing twenty more of them" set. It would sink the investment potential of the set and possibly kill the value of #10179 some what (personally I think the current value is insane and needs an adjustment).
    xiahna
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 675
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,033
    Heard the same @CM4S 799€ in Europe!
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 363
    I love Lego...I love Star Wars...I would love nothing more than to own a UCS Falcon....I cannot for the life of me justify paying what they may charge..i wish i could ...good for those who can..
    YodaliciousdatsunrobbieVorpalRyujosekalel
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,228
    ^ I'm with you. I think $500 is my limit for a single set. I've spent a small fortune on LEGO the last 5 years, but have topped out at $400 for a single set. The last Death Star. Although even that was 20% off, so actually $320. I love the MF, have multiple versions already, and am a big SW fan, but north of $500 for one set is too much for me. I just think of everything else I can get for that. I could clear a number of things off of my want list for $500-800. 
    VorpalRyuredarmy
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,686
    $800 / EUR 800 / £800 doesn't seem enough to me. This'll be a Mickey Mouse set (literally) not a UCS. They should have broken the $1000 mark.
    JudgeChuck
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,105
    ^ Or thinking it's ok to not to change the number when they change the currency.
    PeteMhmnicoll
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 502
    I can only hope the new MF destroys the notion of Lego as an investment.
    gmonkey76SumoLegoKingDavenicoyagomezClutchPowermatticus_bricksjosekalel
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 251

SumoLego said:

I'll wait for a full-scale B-Wing that is 2 million pieces and priced at a gazillion-billion dollars.

If it's functional (can actually fly etc.), I'll buy one.
    SumoLego
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 671

CCC said:

$800 / EUR 800 / £800 doesn't seem enough to me. This'll be a Mickey Mouse set (literally) not a UCS. They should have broken the $1000 mark.

Well, currently $1000 is equal to £808.21...

I'm not sure that £8.21 would make that much difference!!

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,686

Lobot said: no

CCC said:

Well, currently $1000 is equal to £808.21...

I'm not sure that £8.21 would make that much difference!!

It's not currently out. 
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,119
    $800 !?

F--k. Dwight Howard & Trump's son aren't the only ones who play with Lego. Excuse me...I'm going to kick some puppies now to deal with this dreadful news.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 1,679
    with such a price tag, maybe it will actually be a good investment. if ever it sells poorly and lego retires it early. but probably not even close to 10179.
    also this better breaks the 10000 pieces barrier oO, but 6000 pieces wouldn't be too surprising.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,001

Fauch said:

with such a price tag, maybe it will actually be a good investment. if ever it sells poorly and lego retires it early. but probably not even close to 10179.
    also this better breaks the 10000 pieces barrier oO, but 6000 pieces wouldn't be too surprising.

Yeah, a 600 dollar UCS of an insanely popular spaceship will do fine in the aftermarket. The bigger question is when will that aftermarket occur? The biggest unknown for a new UCS falcon would be length of time it will be out, as you know it will never be put on sale during its run, same with the new DS> I also doubt every one and their dog will be getting one, not at 600 USD. Will people stack them? Sure, but they are the same guys stacking everything in their personal warehouses now. It is all about supply and demand. the patient guys will make their book on it. The impatient ones? Well hopefully they get discouraged with reselling and never do it again.
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 502
    edited April 8

SumoLego said:

^ Except for all of the collectible stuff I already have.

That goes without saying.
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 1,735
    ^Hmmm. You were dumb?

;-)
    kezpharmjodmustang69ClutchPowerBumblepantsbandit778SumoLegoFollowsCloselysnowhitie
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 521
    edited April 9
    I bought 10179 at a terrible price point, so $600 or $800, doesn't really matter.  I've already lost my ass on Lego Millenium Falcon what's a few more hundred bucks. 
    bobabricksDedgeckobandit778
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 210
    As long as the price justifies the finished product I'll probably be in. I'm not one for spending over RRP on sets in the after market and the last few years have only bought UCS vehicles (with the exception of not buying the sandcrawler).

If its 10179 with price adjusted for inflation, I'm in. If it's a new model whoch justifies a 1k price point I'm in. I think I'd rather pay the money then live with the regret of missing out again.

I think we've generally accepted a $200/€200/£179 price point for every other UCS thats come off the production line the past five years.

monkeyhangermustang69
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,199

2007 me: $500 for one Lego set? That is so dumb. 2017 me: $800 for one Lego set? That is also so dumb. The real question is what will 2027 me think of 2017 me if I don't get one...

No worries. It will probably still be in production then, just like the Death Star.
    VorpalRyu
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 677
    edited April 9
    CaptAPJT said:

I think we've generally accepted a $200/€200/£179 price point for every other UCS thats come off the production line the past five years.

£179 is quite different to £800 though! On top of that you need somewhere big enough to display it.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,470

2007 me: $500 for one Lego set? That is so dumb. 2017 me: $800 for one Lego set? That is also so dumb. The real question is what will 2027 me think of 2017 me if I don't get one...

You will be thinking that $1500 is really dumb.

Which way will Lego go with these? A general release with a chance of getting one reduced if it proves to be a poor seller? Or a limited run (50,000?), sold only to people with a VIP card, and only one unit can be bought?

I wasn't out of my dark ages when I could've had one. Like you, I thought that £350 was a ridiculous sum of money for a Lego set. I had a bit of a regret when I didn't pick up Vader's Advanced Tie UCS before it went, the price point of that seemed so much more justifiable. Right now though, I will be happy to spend £600 on a new MF if it is a significant improvement on the old one and is a justifiable price tag.
    edited April 9
    Paperballpark said:
    Buy first, think about where to display it afterwards.

I'm going to need a bigger boat... er house.
    davetheoxygenmangmonkey76Lego_StarMynattVorpalRyuGoldchains
  • MrKettleMrKettle WindsorMember Posts: 101
    For £800 I would want it to have near 8,000 pieces. I think around 10p / part is about right. Christ knows how much detail they would put in though. 
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 773
    If it's around $1000 it better have a fully detailed interior.