Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

UCS falcon rumours (that turned out to be true!)

Comments

• ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,903
    Per Bricklink sales data, there were over 50 folks willing to shell out about 2K for a USC MF over the last six months. While this number is by no means solid data for Lego to do a production run, it does show that there is a market for high price sets, which should not be news to anybody here on Brickset. I just do not understand all of the moaning and whining about (possible) high price point of what should be Lego's penultimate set to date. If it's a rehash of 10179, then let the trashing commence but if it's an 8K marvel of Lego engineering with full interior, sign me up! 
    gmonkey76monkeyhangerSeanTheCollectorbobabricks
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 7,941
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 528
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 1,943

I'd expect the MISB 10179 UCS Falcons won't take much of a hit when the next one eventually gets released, but will crush the resale value of opened ones.  

If I owned a MISB 10179 I would probably dump it right now.... quickly... get what I could.  If a near equal set comes out later this year, just because it's a new set number... it won't save 10179 from price decline.... used or new.

The 1978 #398 U.S.S. Constellation Set never recovered its' historic high value, once the 2003 #10021 nearly identical version was released. 
    pharmjodbobabricks
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 602
    I've been on a buying freeze for Lego anything for about 6months now (heard the first rumors back in October) I had hoped for a May 4th reveal but if this rumor is true my buying freeze will continue I kicked myself for skipping the UCS Falcon last time I wont miss it this time. the only challenge I see in my future is the convincing my better half that I need it XD 
    bandit778snowhitiewaynlewis
  • A.BrickovskyA.Brickovsky PolandMember Posts: 56
    edited April 10
    ^^ Two thumbs up. I sincerely thought The Disney Castle would be such a set, because it felt similarly iconic and recognizable record-breaker, even long before I heard first rumours of it being made. 

I still think the Castle is the best build within its 4k-pcs category, but... I hoped for Taj Mahal record being broken with it. Now that we know it didn't happen, I'd be even more surprised if it doesn't happen for the new Falcon. There's a legend to this set (I mean 10179) that even I can't ignore, and I'm no SW fan. 
    SMC
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 1,776
    10179 being 10kg heavy according to bricklink, does it actually make it the biggest set? Taj Mahal would be 6.5 kg.
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 687
    edited April 10
    No - just heaviest.  Biggest?  Probably one of the train sets... ;-)
    SprinkleOtter
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,161

^ Yes that's another reason I want to see the Taj Mahal piece count record go. About 2000 of the parts have one stud or no studs.

I would like to see a true champion that has both the weight and numbers to back up it being the biggest set of all time. 

A.Brickovsky
  • josekaleljosekalel Rio Grande Valley, TexasMember Posts: 660

xwingpilot said:

On top of that you need somewhere big enough to display it.

I take a different approach to that problem: Buy first, think about where to display it afterwards.

Buy first, think about where to display it afterwards, and then worry about how to pay the credit card bill. 

Either way, I might be tempted to buy this. I got #75105 for my brother and would like one for myself, and a UCS would be a no brainer. How to display it? Well, I thought and have seen people display it somewhat 'attached' to the wall, vertical, like in ESB when it it is attached to the Star Destroyer. 
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,161
    edited April 10

^^ Two thumbs up. I sincerely thought The Disney Castle would be such a set, because it felt similarly iconic and recognizable record-breaker, even long before I heard first rumours of it being made. 

I still think the Castle is the best build within its 4k-pcs category, but... I hoped for Taj Mahal record being broken with it. Now that we know it didn't happen, I'd be even more surprised if it doesn't happen for the new Falcon. There's a legend to this set (I mean 10179) that even I can't ignore, and I'm no SW fan.

I agree the Disney Castle could have been another contender for largest set and would have been had it been complete. Its interesting that of that top 8 the biggest 3 are complete Taj Mahal, Millennium Falcon and Firehouse Headquarters. The others Tower Bridge, Big Ben, Disney Castle, Death Star and Assembly Square all are part of something bigger.

A.Brickovsky
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 983
    ...with the additional benefit that you get all the fun of building it again when it inevitably falls off the wall!

:o)
    VorpalRyubandit778MynattJenni
  • JooTogJooTog Southern CaliforniaMember Posts: 832

josekalel said:

Buy first, think about where to display it afterwards, and then worry about how to pay the credit card bill. 

Either way, I might be tempted to buy this. I got #75105 for my brother and would like one for myself, and a UCS would be a no brainer. How to display it? Well, I thought and have seen people display it somewhat 'attached' to the wall, vertical, like in ESB when it it is attached to the Star Destroyer. 

Acceptable only if there is also a LEGO MOC of the back of the command bridge. I will only accept a wall decal for planning and designing while bricklinking all the parts ;-)
    (Can we put an asterisk next to the Tower Bridge based on the ludicrous number of tan cheese wedges?)
    VorpalRyumustang69Mynattgmonkey76
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 540

I paid a mint for a MISB #10179 last year, and it's not going anywhere!  I bought it for what it is, not as investment.
    If there's a new one out this year and it's a better set, then Yay!  I get two cool Falcons.

I agree, although I admit my original motivation was partly as an investment.  I went into it knowing full well the risks, and that a re release could happen.  I knew my worst case scenario was having a really cool Lego set that I just paid too much money for and I was comfortable with the risk.  

Like a lot of my investments, I "rang the bell" on 10179.  
    For those of you where "money is no object".... that level of comfort must be a nice feeling... I'm sure that some aren't as well off that may be worried about this.
    Legopassion8AllBrick
  • nhyonenhyone Member Posts: 138

Harsh it may be, but anybody who spends their money on a Lego set that they can't afford is an idiot, plain and simple.

It's not like this.

Nobody likes to overpay. Currently, there is no choice. Either you pay the going rate or you don't have it.

But the moment there is a reissue, you have overpaid.

One example is vintage 80s toys. Used to command high values until they were reissued in the 2000s.

You still have the same toy, but it no longer has its former high value or exclusivity.
    SumoLegomonkeyhanger
    It can get even more extreme with LEGO parts that get re-released.  The Maersk blue minfig construction helmet was only ever found in the 1651 Maersk Truck set of 1980, and it used to sell for many hundreds of dollars on BL.

But in 2011 along came the 10219 Maersk Train, and it had 3 of those helmets in Maersk blue... now they sell for as little as $1 each.  Even the (easy to identify) older versions (no "LEGO" on the inside of the helmet) took a massive hit... now selling for as little as $42 for would be purists....
    https://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?P=3833&colorID=72

SprinkleOtter
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,130
    edited April 12
    Hmmm. I'm with Emco. I'll wait for more information before further bitching. It just might be an 8000 piece marvel...

(Didn't really think about it like that)
    VorpalRyuwaynlewis
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,130
    edited April 12
    Yea yea

(You know what I meant, smartass. :P)
    VorpalRyumustang69bobabricksdatsunrobbie
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,231
    The mouse owns both, so whatever. When are we gonna get a star wars / marvel crossover is what I want to know.
    VorpalRyu
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 1,770
    the Avengers: Age of Anakin...
    SumoLegoGoldchainsmustang69Pitfall69xiahna
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 726
    Spiderman:  The Last Jedi
    mustang69VorpalRyuPitfall69
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 1,770
    Episode I: The HYDRA Menace...
    starwars4everPitfall69xiahna
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 726

@Sumolego I read your comment tired and thought Phil Collins was Supreme Leader Snoke. I now like to think Snoke occasionally forces all his generals to sing "In The Air Tonight"

I thought it was Sussudio...
    VorpalRyu
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,522

@Sumolego I read your comment tired and thought Phil Collins was Supreme Leader Snoke. I now like to think Snoke occasionally forces all his generals to sing "In The Air Tonight"

I thought it was Sussudio...

Sithssudio.
    gmonkey76TheOriginalSimonBchuckpSumoLegoGoldchainssnowhitieRedbullgivesuwind
  • waynlewiswaynlewis USAMember Posts: 80
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 625
    I would love if it used enough of the same parts as the original that I could cannibalize my Bricklinked Falcon to make the redesign.

Or I guess I could try and sell mine and use the sales to buy the new one...

Hmm...
  • steveomclsteveomcl Member Posts: 165
    Thor: Asgardians of The Galaxy
    SumoLegoGoldchainsSprinkleOttercatwrangler
    edited April 13

More likely - 'You Can't Hurry Love'...

(A+ topic derailment in progress.)
    gmonkey76GoldchainsSprinkleOtterRedbullgivesuwind
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 1,809
    Mar-vellion Falcon?
    X-Men Fighter?
    Imperial Shi'ar Destroyer?
    Fantastic Fource be with you?
    Force Ghost Rider? 

It gets worse from here on out, so I'll stop :-)
    catwrangler
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 540
    I'm definitely not in the money is no object boat.  Far from it!  I just knew what worse case scenario was and was comfortable with it.  Doesn't mean losing money wouldn't sting but I wouldn't have spent money on a box of plastic bricks if worse case scenario would have me and the kids out on the street.  

Now back to the Star Wars marvel crossover game...
    bobabricks
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,321
    Unfortunately, the good brixk has taken a back of the bus seat for me right now. Mostly because of time constraints and fundraising to move.

I would love to own a UCS MF but, that $800 price tag is both amusing and annoying. 

Annoying because I probably won't ever be able to get one.

Amusing because I could almost treble the power output of my car with that sort of money and, I'm pretty sure it will be more exciting.

It goes back to the comment @Istokg made regarding money being no object for some lucky people, lterally.

Its not envy, just relativity and justification.
    waynlewisMuftak1
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 602
    Captain Solo: The Carbonite Soldier
  • josekaleljosekalel Rio Grande Valley, TexasMember Posts: 660

AllBrick said:

Unfortunately, the good brixk has taken a back of the bus seat for me right now. Mostly because of time constraints and fundraising to move.

I would love to own a UCS MF but, that $800 price tag is both amusing and annoying. 

Annoying because I probably won't ever be able to get one.

Amusing because I could almost treble the power output of my car with that sort of money and, I'm pretty sure it will be more exciting.

It goes back to the comment @Istokg made regarding money being no object for some lucky people, lterally.

Its not envy, just relativity and justification.

The way I have started to see UCS sets and to excuse the money one would spend to buy one (I do not own any), is too look at it as a piece of art. People spend a lot of money buying a painting, photograph, poster, statute, etc., so why not buy a UCS and proudly display it as another nice piece of art? 

I mean, a UCS is a LEGO created product that was based on someone's piece of art, so why not have it be a piece of art one can display at home or work? Either way, I too do not have enough disposable money to spend on any of them, so that's that. 
    TyresOFlaherty
  • ceniackceniack Oklahoma CityMember Posts: 18

josekalel said:

The way I have started to see UCS sets and to excuse the money one would spend to buy one (I do not own any), is too look at it as a piece of art. People spend a lot of money buying a painting, photograph, poster, statute, etc., so why not buy a UCS and proudly display it as another nice piece of art? 

I mean, a UCS is a LEGO created product that was based on someone's piece of art, so why not have it be a piece of art one can display at home or work? Either way, I too do not have enough disposable money to spend on any of them, so that's that. 

This is exactly how my wife and I look at purchasing LEGO. We have the disposable income to purchase it just like someone who purchases art and things like that.
    Dedgeckocatwranglerjosekalel
  • ARo2891ARo2891 MAMember Posts: 113
    ^It's just another hobby!  People judge me when they find out what I'm into but when they see some of the work TLG has done with their larger sets like the modulars, UCS, and the ninjago temple they tend to reel it back in.  I've introduced the girlfriend to the world of MOCs and she's been as amazed as I am by some of the stuff people designed and built - so she's fully on board with my hobby as long as financially responsible about it.
    Dedgeckocatwranglerjosekalel
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,016
    edited April 15

ARo2891 said:

I've introduced the girlfriend to the world of MOCs and she's been as amazed as I am by some of the stuff people designed and built so she's fully on board with my hobby

Congrats!

ARo2891 said:

...as long as [I'm] financially responsible about it.

...and there's the disclaimer. :/
    DedgeckobobabricksARo2891stluxricecakeTyresOFlaherty