You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Lego Bulk Buys - Regular vs. Themed (Friends)

skinnerbackskinnerback IndianaMember Posts: 5
I recently began buying bulk lego as my daughter and I are getting more and more into building with them. I was wondering if it is common for girl bulk lots (Friends/Elves/Disney Princess) to cost more than other themes and regular lots. I know that it seems Star Wars bulk is typically more per lb, but Friends seems exceedingly more per lb than others (at least from my experience buying bulk lots).

examples that I've recently purchased (per lb price includes full paid amount including shipping):
9 lbs at $7.28/lb mixed lot
6 lbs at $5.03/lb mixed lot
5 lb at $4.69/lb mixed lot
7.5 lb at $4.88/lb mixed lot w/ Creator 6752 bagged
8 lb at $6.50/lb mixed lot w/ 4 mini figures
6.2 lb at $13.03 w/ 50+ mini figures
(I know this one is a high per lb price, but I've read that when figuring a good price calculate mini figs at $1 ea, sometimes more if Star Wars/Special)

3.5 lb at $9.80/lb friends mixed lot
3.5 lb at $9.08/lb friends mixed lot
8.9 lb at $9.66/lb 6x Friends sets + 1 SW
8 lb at $10.63/lb 12x friends sets
(The last 2 includes the instructions in the weight. Sets were not complete, but close - should be able to complete with mixed lots)

As you can see, the friends lots are in some cases double what I've been getting other lots for. I've been trying to target no more than $5-6/lb for mixed lots unless there is something special or known mini figures, but I've been unable to get any girly lots for that price. 
KingAlanI

Comments

• akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 903
    I have experienced the same. I think a lot of AFOLs are just not aware how popular Friends/Disney/Elves sets and mini-dolls are. I collect some of the line, and I found it is actually better to just buy the sets new, and take advantage of promotions like Double VIP Points, gift-cards, store specials, etc. to get some discount, rather than buying in bulk. Another hidden line that sells very well on the secondary market is DUPLO. I'm a huge fan of the retired DUPLO Castle line, and it's crazy how much DUPLO pieces (especially in earthy colors), animals and figures cost.
  • skinnerbackskinnerback IndianaMember Posts: 5
    I've looked at a couple of the Duplo lots because my daughter has a hard time with the smaller lego bricks and pieces (she is 4) and I thought if she would play with the larger Duplo blocks while I build the Friends and Princess sets for her to play with were still "building" together but she is not getting frustrated with tiny pieces. 

I've not pulled the trigger on picking up any Duplo lots though, I did buy her a couple Disney themed sets on clearance after Christmas (Doc McStuffins, Sofia the First, Miles from Tomorrowland) as well as a couple MB sets (Shinmer and Shine.)
    KingAlanI
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,194
    Should be the other way around. Friends cheaper than any major theme. Duplo is hard to come by in lots, though.
    KingAlanI
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,047
    Friends and Elves have some great colours for anyone MOCing town houses and the like for their modular streets, and they are not always so easy to get hold of in large quantities.

They can also have quite a bit of forest colours (Elves) and gold parts (Friends) which are good for fantasy and castle builders.

And the minidolls sell quite easily to little girls (or their parents) if priced right.
    KingAlanI
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,047
    ^^^^ Duplo castle is great. We still have ours and often find kids 6-10 love building it when visiting. It's quick and easy to build a six foot tall castle (and knock it down again).
    KingAlanI
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 109
    I sure notice that Friends, Elves, and Disney sets don't go on clearance very often. So they must be in demand.
  • elspankdogelspankdog TexasMember Posts: 111
    Elves and Friends go pretty far in the clearance at Wal-mart in my parts.  More for me.  Disney however, never makes it far.
    KingAlanI
    I rarely find legos in a clearance section around here. Walmart had some after Christmas but they were only a few dollars off - and were mostly Ninjago. I bought a clearance Friends poly bag at Walmart and a couple Duplo sets at Meijer.  Meijer had a lot of MB:Construx sets on clearance though. 
  • mak0137mak0137 VirginiaMember Posts: 14
    For Lego Friends sales try grocery stores: Kroger/fry's, wegmans or Kmart.

Friends Lego does tend to be more in used bulk lots. Look for pastel colors or 'girl' Lego in regular lots.
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 727
    One reason there are fewer Friends' bulk lots is because the theme is newer. It takes a several years for kids to age out of Friends and their Moms may build with it also, so they may not sell it. And the pieces are so wonderful for building just about anything that builders of all sorts are looking for Friends' pieces. 
    As for Duplo, lots of grandparents hang onto it for when the grandkids visit. I keep tons on hand for family reunions, and everyone plays with it then. It seems a shame to get rid of all your Duplo just because your children are outgrowing it. It is perfect for seniors as well who have arthritis and find putting together little pieces too painful. They can build with their grandchildren for even more fun. 
    The colors in Friends and Duplo themes are delightful and exciting and attract many builders who are not necessarily fond of those two themes, so there is quite a market for used pieces in good condition. The sets themselves are quite expensive, so watching for sales is one way to lower the price. Buying used is quite risky unless you know the seller; you may end up with a lot of chewed up pieces, especially with Duplo.

catwranglerMaffyD
    I've had really good luck so far with my bulk buys. Only one lot has not been as described, and the seller actually refunded my purchase in full (8 lb lot ended up having 2 lb of other brands and a lot of really dirty pieces). 

Other than that, one lot I purchased had a TON of (about a sandwich bag full of each) orange/black studs, black propellers, and yellow tooth pieces, which were not pictured, but it was overall a good mix after that.  

I've had much better luck on my bulk than buying used sets. They are always missing pieces but hopefully I'm able to fill them in with some of the bulk Friends I've picked up. 
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 Washington, USAMember Posts: 300
    There are a lot of bulk Friends lots in my general area it seems like. I know Friends sets aren't "just for girls" but as my daughter starts to get older, I can see myself really getting into setting her up with a nice base assortment of parts through similar means. 
    KingAlanI
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 188
    Do young "girls" getting into Friends ever look at retired sets and wish they had them?
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 1,135
    I do pretty well parting out DUPLO on BL, though huge pieces move slowly, so not surprised it does well in bulk.
    Friends/Elves sets are cheaper than other themes and the parts don't go for as much, so I'd also say the opposite of the OP.
    City doesn't do well either.