Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Lego Newbie - please could someone help me with what to buy...

LegovirginLegovirgin UKMember Posts: 4
edited April 13 in Collecting
I'm new to buying Lego.  Purchased the large classic box for an 8 year old as he had never had Lego before (he doesn't live in the UK) & he's loving it but now wants to be able to build more but the items are quite basic blocks.  I thought I could just keep buying different styles of 'large box' & build up a collection so he had a good selection of basics & more interesting & technical parts, but it seems that everything is to buy to build a specific thing.  I now don't know what to get next.  I'm guessing the 'City' sets seem quite general but does anyone have any advice/guide me in the right direction?
Many thanks. 

Comments

• ScatterbugScatterbug WalesMember Posts: 56
    I'd go with buying sets he likes. Once built and tired of them, break them down and add to his inventory. Soon enough he'll have a varied, sizeable collection of parts.

Also keep an eye on 3 for 2 offers such as the recent one by Tesco as an opportunity to buy a lot of bricks.
  • LegovirginLegovirgin UKMember Posts: 4
    Thanks Scatterbug.
    I thought that's what I'd need to do.  He's not really into Star wars or Super Heroes etc, which made me think 'City' would maybe work as he has a good imagination to play/design new items.      
  • legomentallegomental UkMember Posts: 291
    Just buy everything!

No seriously I'd take him to a decent lego or toy shop and let him look and see what he likes then look for the offers such as tesco 3 for 2
    Bumblepantsjosekalel
    Thanks Shib. I'll look at Creator, maybe a couple of those to start with.

legomental - I'd love to be able to take him to choose but he lives 4000 miles away! I'm visiting at the end of April so wanted some inspiration on what to take for him, hopefully he will be visiting here in September so I can take him to some toy shops then (as well as a visit to Legoland!).

• ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,757
    Look at Craigslist or boot sales (I think that what you Brits call a garage sale). Lots of folks sell their kids old stash of Lego. Unfortunately, most over-charge what they are worth and they can be dirty but there are some good finds out there.
    Jenni
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 1,618
    I'd second those 3 for 1 creator boxes, you have three booklets with instructions in the box, plus an extra one on the website, plus a nice set of pieces to make other sets with. Plus, you don't pay for licencing.

#31058 is a great recent one, #31065 is a good one if you want a house,#31052  is one of my favourites of all time.

Otherones,
    # 31034  #31037  #31031 #31048 #31032

It teaches you lots of techniques and gives you a nice amount of bricks to play around with and make your own stuff. Good luck!

vizzitorstluxbandit778sid3windrcatwrangler
  • vizzitorvizzitor IrelandMember Posts: 111
    edited April 13
    If you want to encourage more building beyond the instructions for them, you could also get two or three of the creator sets recommended by @snowhitie, take the parts out of the boxes and mix them all up into a larger, plain box.

You can choose to give the instructions for the sets more as books of ideas than as something to stick to, like the book in the large classic box he has already.  Or you could not give the instruction books at all
    josekalel
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 736
    https://brickset.com/sets/ISBN0756686067-1/The-LEGO-Ideas-Book

This book has lots of cool building ideas. The 3-in-1 Creator and Classic sets make for a good start.
    vizzitor
    Thank you all so much.  I'll start shopping for the best deals for Creator 3-in-1 tonight.
    vizzitordatsunrobbiejosekalelsnowhitie
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,709
    Honestly... I would sit with the kiddo and go through the categories on the Lego site and see what his interests are. My kiddo is not a fan of the super hero or Star Wars or  City themes, but there or other themes he really likes. There have also been specific sets that he likes from themes he is not a huge fan of. The prison island police set and the older version of the police station come to mind. Ninjago is often a theme he enjoys.
    Bumblepants