Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Where are the Elves reviews?

shotgunchipmunkshotgunchipmunk USMember Posts: 74
Five new Elves sets came out in March.  So far there's only a review for the $10 Gondola set.    In the mean time, all but one Brickheadz has been reviewed (Black Widow.  Go figure...), the USC Snowspeeder and even unreleased minifigures have all been covered.

Looking further back, I've noticed largest Elves set reviewed was Queen's Dragon Rescue (which you really have to dig for, it's not linked to the set's page).  None of the castles have been covered.

Where's the love?
BumblepantsbookmumBananasLyichirSeanTheCollectorAanchirtallblocktoo

Comments

• bookmumbookmum londonMember Posts: 938
    I like Elves. I only have one set. Maybe I will give it a review!! 
    Aanchir
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,093
    edited April 19
    The staff was too busy posting 17 different front page stories about CMF series 17. No time to review actual LEGO building sets
    shotgunchipmunk
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,140
    I am in the final stages of university so have had little time for producing reviews in recent weeks.

Ultimately we have to make a judgement regarding our review coverage as there simply isn't time to review everything. Certain themes tend to prove more popular with Brickset readers than others and Elves is probably towards the lower end of that list. However, I agree that the Elves theme is of exceptional quality and we will try to provide wider coverage of future waves.

I will tag @Huw in case he has any further comments.
    gmonkey76
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 5,804
    Yes, what Chris said.

MeganL usually provides reviews of minidoll sets, and is doing so, but there's a limit to how many one person can do in their spare time so if anyone else wants to review them, get in touch.
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 239
    Yes please, more Elves reviews.
    AanchirSeanTheCollectorLego_StarshotgunchipmunkBumblepants
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 472
    I'll say am disappointed as well the Elves sets don't get more coverage.  I wouldn't expect Chris to review Elves as well as everything else he does but there must be someone out there thats passionate about Elves that can write a good review!  
  • shotgunchipmunkshotgunchipmunk USMember Posts: 74
    Shib thank you for taking up the mantle!
    ShibcatwranglerAanchir
  • GmanGman AlaskaMember Posts: 30
    edited May 6
    I kinda wish it was Tolkien style elves (like the elf archer collectible minifig) instead of the girl-targeted minidoll line. An elf sub theme of 2007 castle would have been great.
    but that's just me.

(edit I actually thought it was going to be a continuation of 2007 castle when I saw the title "elves" announced as a theme. But then when I saw what it was I was disappointed. :(
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 377
    edited May 6

Gman said:

I kinda wish it was Tolkien style elves (like the elf archer collectible minifig) instead of the girl-targeted minidoll line. An elf sub theme of 2007 castle would have been great.
    but that's just me.

(edit I actually thought it was going to be a continuation of 2007 castle when I saw the title "elves" announced as a theme. But then when I saw what it was I was disappointed. :(

I mean, to a certain extent it is Tolkien-style elves, if only because of how ubiquitous Tolkien's depictions have become and how much of the idea of elves as a race of tall, graceful beings is inspired by him. In the words of Terry Pratchett, "J.R.R. Tolkien has become a sort of mountain, appearing in all subsequent fantasy in the way that Mt. Fuji appears so often in Japanese prints. Sometimes it’s big and up close. Sometimes it’s a shape on the horizon. Sometimes it’s not there at all, which means that the artist either has made a deliberate decision against the mountain, which is interesting in itself, or is in fact standing on Mt. Fuji.”

I agree that an elf faction of Fantasy Castle would've been great (when I saw that little tease in the Lego magazine I set to work MOCing what I thought their villages and fortifications might look like, despite not even being much of a castle collector), but that certainly doesn't lessen my appreciation of the Elves theme we got, which I consider one of Lego's best current themes!
    Aanchircatwranglershotgunchipmunkpharmjod
  • MeganLMeganL California, USAMember Posts: 47
    I'm working on another Elves review!  I was out of pocket due to illness in March so that put a damper on my LEGO activity.  I am back though and happy that Shib could fill in the gap!
    ShibscoiltreasastluxAanchircatwranglershotgunchipmunkSumoLego
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,140
    edited May 7
    Many thanks for taking up the challenge @Shib. Great reviews!
    SeanTheCollectorShibscoiltreasastluxAanchirDedgeckoSumoLego
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 3,959
    So I guess #41189 isn't going to happen sadly. With the other three summer sets out on shelves in NA and EU it would be in at least one of those zones at the same time if it was still going to make it to market. Makes me wonder if this will be the final wave of Elves. Only three sets coming out reminds me of the final wave of Ultra Agents or Chima. Hope they have more in the pipeline for 2018 or something similar to replace it.
    So I guess #41189 isn't going to happen sadly. With the other three summer sets out on shelves in NA and EU it would be in at least one of those zones at the same time if it was still going to make it to market. Makes me wonder if this will be the final wave of Elves. Only three sets coming out reminds me of the final wave of Ultra Agents or Chima. Hope they have more in the pipeline for 2018 or something similar to replace it.
    I'm a little worried about the same thing. Of course, if this is the end, they could do worse than they seem to be doing (such as bringing the legend of the five sisters back into play after a year with it largely unmentioned)
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 1,377
    Another excellent elves review by @Shib ! Thanks again man! 

https://brickset.com/article/27912/review-41183-the-goblin-king-s-evil-dragon
    I have finally gotten around to reading that review, and have now added the set to my wanted list. First Elves set on that list! My future Lego town needs more dragons to scare the bejesus out of the citizens; Smaug and 3 Ninjago dragons are not enough!

Thanks @Shib! I guess...
    scoiltreasaLyichir
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 1,714
    don't buy the dragon queen then. I mean, buy it, it's excellent. just not scary.
    stluxLyichirAanchir
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 1,377
    That's for sure a beautiful dragon in #41179. But indeed not scary at all. I think I want to give it a cookie. Or a hug :)
    LyichirAanchirSumoLego
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,003
    edited July 3
    I finally got around to building 41180 Ragana's Magic Shadow Castle, so if you're still looking for Elves reviews then you can find my thoughts on the set over at goo.gl/6vo1Fk.

BumblepantsAanchirLego_StarKerreLostInTranslationPeteMstluxSeanTheCollector77ncaachamps
    I finally got around to building 41180 Ragana's Magic Shadow Castle, so if you're still looking for Elves reviews then you can find my thoughts on the set over at goo.gl/6vo1Fk.

Amazing review! Your photos are spectacular, and the amount of detail you went into regarding things like the rarity of parts was comparable to the sorts of reviews I used to do for The New Elementary (though of course I never reviewed any sets this size for them and the prospect of doing so is a little terrifying).

It is a shame that Farran has never gotten a green hood or cloak in sets...
    Aanchir
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,003
    edited July 3
    ^ Thanks - appreciated!

I've always been interested to know if the sets I buy and build contain uncommon elements, and I've been including that kind of information in my reviews for years; I suspect that many readers probably find the degree of detail that I include tedious and over the top, but I can't help myself!
    LostInTranslationstluxBumblepantsLyichirdavetheoxygenmansid3windrAanchir
  • MeganLMeganL California, USAMember Posts: 47
    Nice review!  This was one of my favourite sets last year, and I think I chose Ragana as my favourite minidoll of the year.  Glad to see you agree!
    drdavewatfordAanchir
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,200
    I managed to snag this set at Meijer for$16.50. I was pretty stoked.
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 455
    ^I should think so! I'd be happy to get it at three times that amount....
  • shotgunchipmunkshotgunchipmunk USMember Posts: 74
    They did a similar thing last year, with bunch of sets coming out in March and then two sets coming out in the next wave.  I doubt it's coming to an end, considering a show is (finally!) coming to Netflix in September.