Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Modular Track Switch System - Building Rail Yards

LowaLowa FloridaMember Posts: 112

We just added the new track segments needed to build rail yards to our Modular Track Switch system kickstarter campaign.  There are 3 new 3D printed segments:

• rail yard diverging track (left or right turn): designed to put the tracks of the ladder at a distance of exactly 8 studs apart.
  • rail yard adapter: designed to make sure all the track align nicely at the end or connecting the track of a bidirectional rail yard.
  • bumper track: to have an elegant way to end the tracks of a one way rail yard.

The system works for both one way and bidirectional rail yards:

You can find all the info on our kickstarter campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/4dbrix/modular-switch-track-system-for-lego-trains

gmonkey76

Comments

• MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 846
    For loop tracks, do you need to adaptor piece or can you use regular track? Or would you be able to use regular track with a half-length piece to fill the gap?

Also are the bumper pieces available with the standard technic hole rather than the axle hole?
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 480
    I'd buy a few bumper pieces only (as I'm on 9V track), if they came in old dark gray :D

Not sure about the axle hole indeed, technic hole sounds more useful.
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 846
    edited April 20

sid3windr said:

Not sure about the axle hole indeed, technic hole sounds more useful.

There's a LOT more flexibility with the standard technic hole e.g. plate w/ peg, use of the this part to attach plates etc.
    Yup, was thinking the halfpin myself to attach a plate :)
    MattDawson
  • LowaLowa FloridaMember Posts: 112

For loop tracks, do you need to adaptor piece or can you use regular track? Or would you be able to use regular track with a half-length piece to fill the gap?

It's hard to give general guidelines, in some cases you need the adapter in other cases you don't.  But if you create a number of parallel tracks some will need adapters at some point. The best way it to use the track planner to see whether you need them or not.  We're currently adding these segments to nControl to you can test yourself...

Also are the bumper pieces available with the standard technic hole rather than the axle hole?

The technic axle connection was chosen because of the way it's 3D printed.  If you build a round hole in that direction it's approximated by the layers and you need a round support structure (also approximated by the layers) as well. I tried it but it didn't give a good fit with the Technic pegs.  It only seems possible to print good technic peg hole in the printing plane (like for the monorail cross switch, those work great) but not perpendicular to that.  The only thing that works well in that direction is axle connectors.

sid3windr said:

I'd buy a few bumper pieces only (as I'm on 9V track), if they came in old dark gray :D

Yeah, I understand.  At the moment we don't have the old dark gray filament.  But we're looking into the feasibility of making 9V variants of our switches.  If that works out we'll make custom old dark gray filament and would then be able to make bumper tracks that match your 9V layout.
    gmonkey76sid3windr
    Sure, just leaving it as a miniature request.

The target market for old gray is likely a lot smaller, and if you're only doing "PF" track, the DBG one is the only one you need. I understand it's not just a matter of buying a bunch of "Lego Dark Gray" filament and putting it in the printer ;)
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 7,129
    Am I to assume that this project was successful?  

My plans for a harbour and rail yard suddenly jump off the page.
    gmonkey76BumblepantsMattDawsoncatwrangler

SumoLego said:

Am I to assume that this project was successful?  

My plans for a harbour and rail yard suddenly jump off the page.

Yes, our project was successful!

We're currently preparing to start producing these track switches.  We're first going to fulfill all the pledges of our backers, after that these switches will be available in our shop: https://www.4dbrix.com/shop/
    SumoLegogmonkey76
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 7,129
    Very cool - please keep me/us posted!

SumoLego said:

Very cool - please keep me/us posted!

Sure!