Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

How to build hair for a 3723 variant MOC

AlicepireAlicepire Melbourne, AustraliaMember Posts: 3
edited April 22 in Building and Techniques
Hey folks, long time listener, first time caller.
After years of building sets, I'm finally ready to dip my toe in the world of MOCcing, but I appear to have accidentally fallen in the deep end. I want to build a Supergirl Maxi Figure (based on TV Supergirl), and no matter how hard I try, I can't figure out in Stud.io how to build her hair in a way that doesn't look terrible. I've tried finding pictures of other people who did something similar, but my google-fu is failing me. I'm this close to just leaving her bald or giving her a doll's wig.
Do any of you have any technique suggestions or photos of other MOCs I can see that could put me on the right track?

Here's what I have so far (IRL I'm going to move the House of El symbol up a brick, but it took forever to build it in Stud.io, so for now I"m just going with it). Tips on how to make the skirt better are also welcome.

Thanks for your help!
mustang69catwrangler

Comments

• AlicepireAlicepire Melbourne, AustraliaMember Posts: 3
    I have no idea what on Earth kind of typo happened to autocorrect "Help" to "Hoe", but well done Apple. How did it take me this long to notice? And I can't edit it. I'm sure it's fine.
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,395
    Funny this should come up in a Supergirl thread...

Also, the skirt looks both too flat and too long.
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 1,883
    Welcome to the forum.

You can't edit a title, only the mods can do that, but don't worry about it :)

That is jumping in at the deep end with a MOC ;) I've never used stud.io. maybe you can use some SNOT techniques, that is 'studs not on top', you can use headlight bricks and then some curved pieces. If there are terms that are new to you, some googling should help you there.

This is also something you could use to make the skirt more rounded.

Good luck with it!

• pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,200
    I think it would be interesting to use a darker color blue to simulate printed curves the way LEGO does with some female minifigures. Looks good though.
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 671
    Don't know the size of your collection, but, why not just build the hair in real life once you've built the rest of the MOC?  Colour consistency wouldn't be important initially as long as you can mesh out a final design you're happy with.  I've always found it much easier to fool around with bricks (particularly when curves and freestyle
    building are involved) than do it in CAD.
      Nice to see another Aussie on board too!
  • AlicepireAlicepire Melbourne, AustraliaMember Posts: 3
    Thanks for the help folks!

Pharmjod - I tried playing with that in Stud.io, but it looks totally off in this scale. I'd need to make a bigger figure before she stopped looking half-boob.

Thanks Snowwhitie, I'll look into that.

I might have to do that, Magninominisumbra. I was hoping someone might have some secret, but trial and error looks like the way to go. Curse my laziness!
    snowhitiepharmjod
  • mustang69mustang69 ColoradoMember Posts: 234
    For the skirt, have you tried stepping out the bricks towards the bottom so it looks a little more skirt like and less like shorts? Just a thought :)