Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

How do I get ideas for an MOC ?

LaserBeakDuckLaserBeakDuck San Antonio, TexasMember Posts: 9
I want to do an MOC but I am TERRIBLE at coming up with ideas and even worse at translating it into Lego bricks. Do you guys have any tips for if I am new to MOCs?

Comments

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,098
    So you are lacking two of the three essential elements MOC making.
    josekalel
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,098
     Well now that's annoying I had three long paragraphs that all disappeared when I hit the post comment button 
  • BillyBricks84BillyBricks84 United StatesMember Posts: 247
    What helped me finally dive into making a few MOCs was the monthly building contests on this site, actually. They gave me a topic and created a set time for building so there was some pressure and I couldn't just put it off. Also, the expectation isn't that you will create some 1,000+ piece design so it is definitely manageable.
    SalamalexJennicatwrangler
  • LaserBeakDuckLaserBeakDuck San Antonio, TexasMember Posts: 9
    edited April 26

dougts said:

So you are lacking two of the three essential elements MOC making.

Yes I am. That creates a big problem for me. haha
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 112
    What are you trying to MOC? Let's start there. 
    City? Space? Castle? Real-world items (life-sized models of cell phones, things you'd find in an office, stationary, etc)? Scale models?

I would start with City/minifig-scale buildings are they're easy to begin with for a variety of reasons. First off, you can use just about anything as inspiration: houses, office buildings, vehicles, even bus stops, coffee stands, things around the house like making minifig-scale couches, desks, etc. Second (this is a tip from the Lego Neighborhood Book that I'm borrowing from a coworker and would highly recommend), start looking at buildings and objects in terms of how it would be built if it were Lego bricks. Real-world bricks and stonework can easily be adapted into 1xN bricks, and with the parts palette as big as it is there are a lot of options for detailing. Third, start small. This will help you get a feel for your building style as well as what parts combinations work as well as improve your hand at making detailed creations. With how many pieces there are nowadays, the days of the Rainbow Warrior creations are long over, but the flip side is that there is a greater degree of realism possible than ever. 

I would say, in your travels the next few days, pick something you see (doesn't matter what, really) and try and replicate it in brick form. It's kind of like learning a foreign language: you know you understand the language what you start thinking in it instead of in English (or whatever your native language happens to be). It's the same thing with building: you'll start thinking of shapes in terms of Lego pieces. Seems weird but it will happen with practice. 
    catwrangler
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 4,072
    Look at the idea books, browse Flickr, Instagram, brothers brick etc and see what inspires you. Also pay attention to building techniques used while building official sets and it will help you later with building to own stuff.
  • josekaleljosekalel Rio Grande Valley, TexasMember Posts: 671
    As someone who's been trying to do the same with horrendous results, there are a few things you need to consider.

First, like @MrJackson said, what are you trying to MOC. Are you building your city? Are you creating a Star Wars ship? Are you doing something else?.

Second, inspiration comes from everywhere. The LEGO Ideas Book is a great way to start, but let's say you are doing a MOC for your city, just look around, go drive around and look at old and new buildings, and then go online and look at other people's MOCs. You also have the modulars.

Third, use LDD. I was very adamant about not using it at first and then after using it a couple of hours this weekend (for a MOC that's based on an old apartment complex building that's in a city near where I live) it's a great tool to at least start letting your imagination go wild, because...

Fourth, you'll never have enough bricks for a MOC, at least not at first. This is why (I realized) a lot of people here use it a lot...You might think you got enough, but that's a lie (unless, you know, you have hundreds and hundreds of bricks of ONE color)...then if you don't have enough bricks you'll stress about it and abandon it...so yeah.

I'm basing it on my personal experience. I never thought that MOCs were not as easy as they looked. 
    Galactus
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 2,790
    The thing I would say is: why are you trying to moc?

There are so many different kinds of Lego enthusiasts. There are those who just collect sets and/or elements. There are those who only build sets, and who never moc at all. There are those who are naturals at mocing - able to build anything from their imagination at the drop of a hat. There are those (like me) who are terrible at mocing from imagination, but can turn out a half decent model of something if provided with enough photos and plans of it. Of course, there are many 'in-between' and cross-over states of the above too.

The point is that everyone is different. Find what you like doing with Lego and do it. Don't try to force yourself to do something just because other people are doing it.
    bandit778josekalelBillyBricks84catwrangler
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 1,801
    stack bricks without a plan and maybe you'll eventually get something cool. experiment with some wild combinations.