Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Duplo Train Timeout?

davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 762
So, for the upcoming BrickFair New England show, we were discussing having a Duplo train layout for the younger kids.  ... BUT, all the Duplo trains have an auto-power-off feature that shuts down after like 2 minutes or so.

Does anyone know if there's a way to keep them running indefinitely?

DaveE

Comments

• SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 447
    I don't know how to keep them running indefinitely, but could you plan the track length so the visitors could press the button to send the train around the layout?

Now I want to go pull out our Duplo trains... a couple copies of #5609, a tunnel and bridge, some Thomas engines, the Toy Story Train, and a couple hundred feet of track and switches. Then I found the LEGO trains...
    SprinkleOtter
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Salem, MA, USAMember Posts: 292
    I'm not able to answer your question but I'll be attending with my four year old, so hopefully we'll be able to see your Duplo train in action! Good luck with finding a solution. I'm guessing someone on here will be able to figure this out for you. I'm
    constantly amazed at the level of Lego knowledge on the Brickset forums.
  • rd1899rd1899 U.S.A.Member Posts: 78
    It should be possible, though it will likely require some physical hacking in the form of modifying or bypassing the locomotive's internal circuits (e.g., on the internal circuit board).

This blog post (How to remote control a LEGO DUPLO Train) may be of some help.  It shows that it is possible -- with some soldering of the locomotive internals -- to make a Duplo locomotive (part 5135c01) PF-compatible. Though, I'm not sure if his wiring hacks specifically solve the power-off issue.  The post also has links on how to dismantle Duplo locomotives as well as a Brickshelf gallery showing the internals of a 5135c01.

(video from the blog post)