Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Where have all the Polybags gone?

OdeinoichusOdeinoichus CanadaMember Posts: 135

Fellow Canadians may understand this, or they may not, but for the past few years I've noticed a rather disturbing trend. The number of Polybags actually making it to stores in Canada has diminished considerably.

Either that or the number of buyers has increased exponentially to the point where TRU Canada just can't keep up with stock anymore.

Toy's-R-Us in Canada is the only place to buy Polybags outside of LEGO Promotions from Shop@Home, we have never to my knowledge gotten any Wal-Mart Polybags at Wal-Mart, but some will be at TRU. And don't even get me started on what happened with Target.

For the past four months TRU has not stocked a single Polybag. I haven't seen one in my Province, aside from the Krypto DC Super Hero Girls poly which I got from LEGO for free.

So I have to wonder, what is happening? Are there more collectors and scalpers/re-sellers swooping in and grabbing all the Polybags before they're even on the pegs for a day, or is distribution really that bad of late that not a single Polybag from LEGO City, Creator, Nexo Knights, TLBM, Star Wars or Friends is being shipped out to local TRU stores? Does someone have the answer, because I sure as heck don't, and it's become rather disheartening as I loved walking into TRU and discovering a new Polybag to buy to continue fuelling my LEGO habit when times were slow.

Comments

• datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 910
    edited May 1
    It might be worth asking folks at the stores. The people who stock the shelves can at least tell you if there have been poly bags at the store. If the stores have quit stocking them, inquiries further up the ladder might help, or they might not.

The local Sam's Club used to carry egg noodles that I was buying on a regular basis, then quit stocking them. I left a review on the Sam's Club site that gave high praise to the item and mentioned that they were great until the store quit carrying them. Much to my amazement I received an email from a buyer a Sam's Club, and they even started carrying the noodles again for a few months. In the end there were not enough locals buying them for the store to stock them, but it was nice to know that, at least sometimes, contacting the store can get results.
    catwranglersnowhitieClutchPower
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 495
    Maybe somebody should buy up all the Kylo Ren shuttles and Hot Rods from Targets around here and resell to Canada.
    elspankdog77ncaachampsprevereMegtheCatCaptainLego
  • UberbrickUberbrick OregonMember Posts: 79

Maybe somebody should buy up all the Kylo Ren shuttles and Hot Rods from Targets around here and resell to Canada.

Why can't I find any of those hot rods at my Target (Oregon)? Biked there today only to find batwings (thankfully didn't have one yet) and those blasted Kylo Ren shuttles you mentioned.
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 726
    edited May 2

https://youtu.be/JPR108kwNo4

Why did I think of this when I read the thread title?

• sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 854

for me. ;)

Over here (Belgium, EU) I regularly get the idea only 4 polybags are distributed every year, and even then to a very limited set of stores.
    Poochy
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 326
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 326
  • preusspreuss CanadaMember Posts: 55
    I don't know where you are, but the Lego Discovery Centre store in Vaughan, ON, always has lots of polybags. I agree that it has been almost impossible to find them elsewhere, though.
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 733
    One of my all time favorites! Thanks! Yup, neither have have I seen that many polys this year. TRU used always to have a decent stash with at least two choices. Not the last year. They make such sweet gifts that I much prefer them to CMS. 
  • willobee498willobee498 CanadalandMember Posts: 277
    Ditto out here in BC! Used to always be a couple choices at TRU, but haven't seen any for nearly a year.
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 527
    Same in SK. Haven't seen a single poly since November.
  • OdeinoichusOdeinoichus CanadaMember Posts: 135
    Wow, Ontario, Saskatchewan, British Columbia and Manitoba... That's extremely disheartening.
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 483
    My Walmart has a few, which is surprising, but I don't think they're going to make it a habit as the rack says "LIMITED TIME ONLY".
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 854
    I've seen more polybags in the supermarket in Billund than I've seen in an entire 2 years in different toy stores combined in Belgium. :|
    MattDawson
  • foxwfoxw canadaMember Posts: 4
    Okay, from what i can see here in northern Ontario, all the for sale polys (via t'r'u) are generally available only via their website vs in store.

when i asked a store employee i know well, they got back with the answer of "combating theft", aka someone high up decided that Lego poly's were lift bait and asking to get stolen so they've been restricted to online sales.
  • AwesomenessAwesomeness OhioMember Posts: 36
    It does make sense. Numerous times I have seen CMF slit open and taped back up, and my local toysrus have moved them by the registers now. So I think between those and poly's are an easy target for theft.
    SumoLego
  • OdeinoichusOdeinoichus CanadaMember Posts: 135

That's a terrible excuse, Wal-Mart started putting Polybags out lying on the shelf in their shipping cases and nobody has ripped them off. I honestly think TRU is losing it, because I've seen Polybags sitting on the shelf the past few days and there hasn't been anybody trying to rip off the Milano or any of the other ones left out for purchase.

If you want to combat theft how about worrying about all those stupid action figure returns which are missing pieces, have incorrect people inside and are obviously swapped out so the buyer can keep the genuine article while getting their money back for the fakes they've dumped off instead.

• 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the WestMember Posts: 1,946
    edited August 31

That's a terrible excuse, Wal-Mart started putting Polybags out lying on the shelf in their shipping cases and nobody has ripped them off. I honestly think TRU is losing it, because I've seen Polybags sitting on the shelf the past few days and there hasn't been anybody trying to rip off the Milano or any of the other ones left out for purchase.

Because it's hard to see the ones that have been ripped off.
    Opened, yes. But not the stolen ones.
    Astrobricks
  • bookmumbookmum londonMember Posts: 957
    We used to get loads free in the UK from a certain horrible newspaper. Lego decided to stop using paper but haven't started using another one - but that means less poly bags around?? 
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,067
    edited August 31
    We used to get them from The Mirror, The Sun, The Daily Mail, Shell, etc. With all of them Lego didn't renew contracts when they came to an end due to criticism from the public. Although they used to make it sound like they ended the agreements, they seemed to keep doing them until the end of the contracts (especially with Shell, that went on a while after the headlines). But then, the public will complain about any newspaper that lego has a contract with. Telegraph, Guardian, Independent - too small circulation for all, and too right wing, too left wing and owned by an ex-Russian spy respectivey. Daily Express? Too Diana focussed. They tried The Times (the Batman phantom zone) but only did it with Martins / McColls, so lots of people had to send off for it.

I imagine the days of 9 day runs of free polybags are long gone and that they will use the Times model again in future. As well as in toy store (TRU and Smyths) type promotions.
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 1,797
    ^ I rang the McColls head office to ask about my polybag as I'm a Times subscriber, and didn't want to play 'hunt the batman'. They said they could post it, took my name and address but never sent it, despite 3 phone calls asking to confirm where they said "Oh yes, it'll be shipped any day now". Not pleased.