Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Best way to sort bulk Legos from others, new collector here

bobotechbobotech spokane, wa, usaMember Posts: 17
I know, I know, this topic has probably been posted thousands of times before but the search feature here is a tad lacking with the keywords I used.  

Basically what is the easiest way people have found to sort bulk lots of legos that are mixed with mega bloks, knex, etc?  I bought a box of like 25 pounds of Legos and its taking forever to sort though them.  Any suggestions?  My eyes go crazy after a while of looking for the logos or copyrights.  At least I can pretty much tell the difference between a real lego brick and a mega blok due to the quality of the bricks after doing so much sorting so far.  :)  

Comments

• UberbrickUberbrick OregonMember Posts: 77
    Inspecting the logos and quality of plastic is probably your best bet. Another solution that I use is to look for parts with an extremely unusual shape or color. I can usually recognize off-brand parts simply by doing that. I got better at this after sorting thousands upon thousands of pieces not too long ago. Hope that helps a bit :)
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,524
    And if you haven't already, stick on a podcast or a movie in the background - when I do a lot of sorting I like to marathon a TV show to stop myself going mad! I always know the sorting session has been long enough when I balk at the thought of another episode...
    Uberbrickprevere
  • bobotechbobotech spokane, wa, usaMember Posts: 17
    Thanks people. Why oh why did the patent have to run out?  Would be so much easier if the clones just didn't exist. :-)  
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 832
    Here's a "classic" guide to sorting and storage. Some folks here have tried every method listed.  

http://news.lugnet.com/storage/?n=70

My most recent tactic has been to start with partially-assembled sets in the lot. I pull out parts to build sets I can identify and store them in bags or boxes. Loose parts get separated into categories like bricks, plates, wheels, slopes, minifigs, and "other", which get broken down further when a tub gets full. 

• masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 430

bobotech said:

Thanks people. Why oh why did the patent have to run out?  Would be so much easier if the clones just didn't exist. :-)  

even if it would still exist some copycats would still try to steal a slice of the pie... (some non-basic-brick parts are still a no-go for the clones but they still try to do it (see L***N-issue (name intentionally redacted, i won't make a unredacted mention for google to find  (and sorry for all those parentheses nested (programmers habit...)))))
    sid3windr
  • bobotechbobotech spokane, wa, usaMember Posts: 17

bobotech said:

even if it would still exist some copycats would still try to steal a slice of the pie... (some non-basic-brick parts are still a no-go for the clones but they still try to do it (see L***N-issue (name intentionally redacted, i won't make a unredacted mention for google to find  (and sorry for all those parentheses nested (programmers habit...)))))

Sent you a PM regarding the L***N issue.  I'm curious.  :) 

• Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 872
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 430
    ^ already explained that via PM that google won't put into its index :P
    bobotech