Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Star Wars CMF Series in the works?

PatsyWalkerPatsyWalker TorontoPosts: 69
Absolutely file this under Rumour, but I have heard from a friend who works in licensing at Disney that a Star Wars CMF set is being nailed down. She doesn't work with Star Wars, so she has no specifics, but passed it on since she knows I love LEGO. In case I'm late to the hearsay, I'm hoping for more evidence around here.

I wouldn't have posted it except a LEGO store employee mentioned the same rumour to me while I was digging through CMF 17.

I feel like that would be a bloodbath, but hey, that's what cases are for.
catwranglerJackad7TXLegoguyLordmoralIceCreamClone

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia, BulgariaPosts: 3,667
    edited May 10
    One can only imagine the pricing. $6.99 each? $7.99? 

I find it unlikely as it is clear they know the power a unique minifig has to drive set sales. But maybe the volume and jacked up prices these would surely have would make a better bottom line?

It would also be interesting to see what gets picked. I imagine by the time they filled out the roster with enough current film and classic characters to attract the average consumer all the weird one-off characters hard core fans and Lego collectors would be hoping for wouldn't pan out.
    josekalelpharmjodJackad7TXLegoguydatsunrobbieLordmoral
  • PatsyWalkerPatsyWalker TorontoPosts: 69
    edited May 10
    Ugh, you're right. The Batman Movie line was a dollar over the usual. I can only imagine the premium that could be abused past basic licensing given it's Star Wars.

I have your same concerns over the lineup potential. My thinking is that it may be easier to make some updated figures like Hoth Leia or some Sabine variant and use them to drive the wave versus finding sets (reissued or not, ala the Skiff) to get them out.

With sets like the Phantom Menace final duel and Skiff this year, they could release Queen Amidala or Hooded Darth Maul or Leia and force a sick collectible synergy for fans and completionists that way.

• gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoPosts: 643
    I can see all Rebel Pilots or Imperial Troopers that have all the same parts just different prints. If you thought the German Soccer Players were hard to use the feel method, just wait till you see these.
    josekalel
  • PatsyWalkerPatsyWalker TorontoPosts: 69
    The soccer players were blind bags? Evil.
  • Toc13Toc13 Posts: 386
    Even at £5, I can see these flying. Mains, background characters & army builders - something for everyone.
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesPosts: 809
    Nope. At SW Celebration they held a set design panel and the guy hosting it said don't expect it to happen ever
  • ShibShib UKPosts: 4,044
    I mean no offence, but if you've recently heard this from your friend then had it confirmed from a store employee I find it very very unlikely.

Store employees rarely get info much before general public, the average AFOL would have heard the rumours months before they hear anything.

Also the info from your friend is already second hand (as you said it isn't their department so info likely received from a coworker) so could easily be misinterpreted- e.g Small blind bag collectable min figures could have been what they were told, without the word LEGO this could easily be a general small figure.

While I'd never say "it's never gonna happen" I find it pretty unlikely - I can see how a Star Wars CMF line could work, but without anything more concrete I'd say Star Wars fans shouldn't get their hopes up
  • mustang69mustang69 ColoradoPosts: 179
    The reason this will never happen is that Hasbro holds the rights to make Star Wars action figures. Minifigs could be considered action figures so this would cause legal trouble for TLG and Lucasfilm(Disney). The main reason we get the Star Wars "battle packs", the ones that sell for $9.99 is to satisfy the urge for those who want to army build. It includes minifigs and builds so it gets around this restriction.
    Lordmoral
    The reason this will never happen is that Hasbro holds the rights to make Star Wars action figures. Minifigs could be considered action figures so this would cause legal trouble for TLG and Lucasfilm(Disney). The main reason we get the Star Wars "battle packs", the ones that sell for $9.99 is to satisfy the urge for those who want to army build. It includes minifigs and builds so it gets around this restriction.
    CM4STyresOFlahertymadforLEGO
  • ShibShib UKPosts: 4,044
    ^ I've heard this before as the reason for fridge magnet figs being glued and Funko pops having to be bobble head for Marvel and Star Wars characters, but I find it odd that they'd have a problem with minifigs and not have a problem with the constraction figures which seem much more like competition for the action figure market to me.
    mustang69bandit778Addicted2OxygenbluedragoncatwranglerpharmjodsnowhitieLordmoral
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USPosts: 1,722

mustang69 said:

The reason this will never happen is that Hasbro holds the rights to make Star Wars action figures.

Never is a long time. Disney owns the rights, which are currently licensed to Hasbro. If Disney felt it were in their best interest to allow LEGO to sell individual minifigures alongside Hasbro's action figures, they could likely make it so.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesPosts: 2,151

Shib said:

^ I've heard this before as the reason for fridge magnet figs being glued and Funko pops having to be bobble head for Marvel and Star Wars characters, but I find it odd that they'd have a problem with minifigs and not have a problem with the constraction figures which seem much more like competition for the action figure market to me.

In terms of audience, that's probably correct, but I think from a legal standpoint it's probably easier to argue that an eighty-some-piece figure qualifies as a "building set" (and falls under a license for the same) than a four– to eight-piece figure.
    madforLEGO

binaryeye said:

mustang69 said:

The reason this will never happen is that Hasbro holds the rights to make Star Wars action figures.

Never is a long time. Disney owns the rights, which are currently licensed to Hasbro. If Disney felt it were in their best interest to allow LEGO to sell individual minifigures alongside Hasbro's action figures, they could likely make it so.

I'm certainly not a legal expert and I dont know the details of the contract between Disney(Lucasfilm) and Hasbro. It's my understanding though that Hasbro has the exclusive rights to produce action figures based on the Star Wars universe. I would think that if Disney wanted to let TLG in on the action (no pun intended :P ) they would need to work out something with Hasbro and since it's a fairly large cash cow for them at the moment I dont think they are going to want to give away any of that pie :) But yes, I guess never was the wrong word to use :)
    madforLEGO
  • bluedragonbluedragon United StatesPosts: 393
    I'm sure a deal could be made to satisfy all parties. A kid on the market for an action figure is not likely to be happy with a minifigure 10x smaller so the impact to Hasbro's bottom line would probably be insignificant.
  • josekaleljosekalel Rio Grande Valley, TexasPosts: 651
    I find it hard to believe people find this hard to believe...I do not think Disney will miss the chance to make this, especially since they'll be licensing the 'lesser known' characters...I do not think they would have three versions of Luke or Leia or similar stuff. 
    pharmjodPatsyWalker
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAPosts: 40
    That would be AWESOME! Just as long as it was followed by an LOTR series. ;).
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAPosts: 783
    A minifig with a build gets around the Hasbro issue...  what do we know of that gets a minifig and a build, or two, or three...?  What else has Disney shutdown in the last 12 months?

What should TLG shutdown, but hasn't?

Is Star Wars coming to Dimensions?
  • FauchFauch FrancePosts: 1,536
    if they did it, I imagine the draw would be less in obscure not yet done characters, but in popular characters benefitting from dual moulding and side printing for the first time.
    josekalelgmonkey76

Dedgecko said:

A minifig with a build gets around the Hasbro issue...  what do we know of that gets a minifig and a build, or two, or three...?  What else has Disney shutdown in the last 12 months?

What should TLG shutdown, but hasn't?

Is Star Wars coming to Dimensions?

Dimensions is dead.
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Posts: 194
    Not to derail the convo, but I had heard that Dimensions was dead as well.  Can't remember where - possibly somewhere on Brickset.  So...are we still getting the Teen Titans Dimensions pack?
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesPosts: 2,151
    edited May 10

jmeninno said:

Not to derail the convo, but I had heard that Dimensions was dead as well.  Can't remember where - possibly somewhere on Brickset.  So...are we still getting the Teen Titans Dimensions pack?

Last I heard, all the already-announced packs (Powerpuff Girls, Teen Titans Go!, etc) are all still coming out. Calling Dimensions dead at this point is like calling a 90-year-old person dead… sure, it'll be true in a matter of time, but saying it now is jumping ahead a bit.
    pharmjodjmeninnogmonkey76stluxbandit778Lyichirthedingman5IceCreamClone
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Posts: 194
  • GmanGman AlaskaPosts: 30
    The lego Star Wars CMF series should include random canon aliens. Like the hammerhead guy!
  • natro220natro220 USAPosts: 475
    Maybe they'll make an actual "Lego Star Wars" movie sometime in the near future.  I could see them doing a CMF line to support it with obscure characters, much like Lego Batman Movie.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkPosts: 6,896
    Frankly, whether Lego would do a SW CMF line would depend on the profit margin of that line and potential reduction in sales for regular SW sets.

It's not a coincidence that one has to purchase ALL of the Rogue One sets to get all of the principle characters.  I also don't think it is a coincidence that exclusive minifigures were added to the SW UCS line.  You cam treat that as your SW CMF series...  

How many of us bought a Tumbler just to get the figs?

I think the constractable figures are proof positive that Hasbro has no impact on what Lego is able to produce.  If I were a Hasbro Exec, those figures are direct competition and if I had any legal right to stop production - I would!

Anyway, don't hold your breath.   There is no historical indication a SW CMF makes any marketing or financial sense for Lego.
    gmonkey76PatsyWalkercatwrangler
  • JooTogJooTog Southern CaliforniaPosts: 674
    Regarding the issue of a standalone SW minifig (as in a SW CMF series) might be consider a breached of license with Hasbro's action figures, there have been plenty of polybags with just a SW minifig on sale... so that does not seem to hold :-)

I have purchased the following from TRU (not promo, just paid $4.99 for ea.):

#5004408 Rebel A-wing Pilot
    #5002948 C-3PO
    #5004406 First Order General
    SumoLegocatwrangler
    edited May 10
    ^ And I'm sure any squabbles are quickly settled by Disney.  Will it sell?  Will it increase our royalty fee? Do it!

If Marvel (Disney) could convince Sony (or vice-versa) to lease back the rights to Spider-Man for the MCU, I'm sure Hasbro seeking to assert some sort of legal domain over Lego-based action figures is not worth anyone's time.
    josekalelcatwrangler
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Posts: 336
    I doubt any of us have fully read and understood the licensing deals between Disney and Hasbro which are being used to discount the possibility of a Star Wars CMF line. It is all conjecture on an Internet forum. 

Basically, it all boils down to two facts, if Disney and Lego can legally agree to terms that would allow for this to happen and it is profitable, then we will see a Star Wars CMF line. 

Personally, I want a Baby Luke or Baby Leia with the medical droid with the shoehorn hands. 
    SumoLegodspigelYodaliciousLostInTranslationcatwrangler
    edited May 10
    ^ 100% agree.

Dr. Ball, please!

gmonkey76MynattGalactus
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 6011 MILES from Bora BoraPosts: 1,078
    After seeing Batman carry a Lego Movie...I kinda want to see a Lego Star Wars movie. What say you, MM ?
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioPosts: 1,047
    edited May 11
    A SW CMF line is our only chance at getting an extra crispy Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen.

Edit: The rematch Obi Wan will be kind of a disappointing figure seeing as how it is just a single cloth cape piece, but will be super easy to feel for. 

Fingers crossed. 
    CM4S
    The thing about a CMF Star Wars line.. is that I don't think you can include any variations of characters that can't be in sets? You know like you can't include a Hoth Han because he can be in any Hoth set. You can't add Ep 6 hooded Luke because he could be included in a Jabba's Palace set or something. You can't include Clone Wars Ahsoka cause she can be in pretty much any Clone Wars set.. 

• ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Posts: 344

CM4S said:

The thing about a CMF Star Wars line.. is that I don't think you can include any variations of characters that can't be in sets? You know like you can't include a Hoth Han because he can be in any Hoth set. You can't add Ep 6 hooded Luke because he could be included in a Jabba's Palace set or something. You can't include Clone Wars Ahsoka cause she can be in pretty much any Clone Wars set.. 

Even though this seems logical, it has not stopped lego before.  Just look at prison suit joker from the LBM CMF.
    josekalelPatsyWalkercatwrangler
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USPosts: 7,722
    edited May 11

I'm sure a deal could be made to satisfy all parties. A kid on the market for an action figure is not likely to be happy with a minifigure 10x smaller so the impact to Hasbro's bottom line would probably be insignificant.

Seeing as Hasbro is a competitor to LEGO I doubt they would be willing to share the pie, and-as popular as LEGO is- I doubt Disney will take their 'Action Figure' business elsewhere. But as always money talks, so who really known. But I think it is safe to say this idea of SW CMFs has been bantered about since CMF series 1 came out.
  • GmanGman AlaskaPosts: 30
    edited May 11
    Lego and hasbro should join forces.
    "Join me and together we can rule the galaxy!" Lol.
    that way we can also get lego transformers and my little ponies and mini fig scale nerf guns and stuff. Hahahahaha

Lego and hasbro cooperating would likely NEVER happen though.
  • CCCCCC UKPosts: 14,118

mustang69 said:

I don't think there has ever been proof of this, and it is likely to be something that LEGO don't care if this is what the public think. If the public think that it is licensing agreements of other people that means that CMF style packs of SW are not possible or popular SW characters cannot go into cheap packs, then why would LEGO care to change that perception? Meanwhile they can make sure that Darth Vader or Kylo Ren for example only go in larger sets so people have to buy them if they want the main baddies. If lego really thought there was money in putting really popular characters in small sets, then we would have had them in the microfighters and planets sets. They know they will limit sales of bigger sets if they put some of the key popular characters in small sets or CMF.

SumoLegoYodalicious
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaPosts: 1,709
    The are a couple of holes in the "can't make action figures & they would count as action figures" argument:

1. The Star Wars Buildable Figures are essentially an action figure that you build, if that argument was 100% true, TLG would have been dragged into court before the end of the first wave of these things....how many waves of these figures have been released now?

2. The Lego Batman Movie CMFs wouldn't have happened. Mattel has the licence for DC action figures & TLBM CMFs would have have been just as much of a breach of Mattel's licence as SW CMFs would be of Hasbro's. Out of the two who is quicker to start litigation at the hint their licence rights have been breeched? Mattel, but no lawsuits yet...
    Dedgeckojosekaleldesantis
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia, BulgariaPosts: 3,667
    I recall the early series of minifig only sets such as #3340 from 16 or 17 years ago being discontinued because of Hasbro and that was the origin of the "can't do only SW figures because it has to be a construction set".
    gmonkey76
  • floridabrickfloridabrick Central FLPosts: 97

VorpalRyu said:

The are a couple of holes in the "can't make action figures & they would count as action figures" argument:

1. The Star Wars Buildable Figures are essentially an action figure that you build, if that argument was 100% true, TLG would have been dragged into court before the end of the first wave of these things....how many waves of these figures have been released now?

2. The Lego Batman Movie CMFs wouldn't have happened. Mattel has the licence for DC action figures & TLBM CMFs would have have been just as much of a breach of Mattel's licence as SW CMFs would be of Hasbro's. Out of the two who is quicker to start litigation at the hint their licence rights have been breeched? Mattel, but no lawsuits yet...

2. TLBM characters aren't technically DC, are they?
    I think the exception there is that these are unique Lego Universe variants.
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Posts: 1,185
    Never say never, but it is unlikely.

Hasbro current have the 'master licence' to produce all action figures for all SW products (TV, Film etc.) and while that contract isn't public it is believed to prevent any other company producing standalone action figures from the SW universe.

I believe that an action figure and a buildable figure are two different calcifications of toy and thus Lego can sell the buildable figures just fine, but for whatever reason the mini-figure is classified as an action figure (even though it is actually buildable), hence needing an 'extra' buildable component with it to pass muster. The pollybags are classified as promotional/limited items and again sidestep the problem.

It was reported that Hasbro paid Disney over 200m dollars to extend the rights to do this through to 2020 and line it up with their Marvel deal (also with Disney), so it is unlikely that either party has any interest in rocking that particular cash boat.

As for the Lego Batman movie, as said above, that was a specific film outside of the DC contract (it is Warner property, and yes Warner own DC... but) and thus able to do what they did. What is more daft there, is that Lego had to pay Warner for the right to make Lego...

Anyway, back on target as Red Five might say, i think one day we might see a Lego CMF line, but not until after 2020 and the terms of any renegotiation with Hasbro are done (that is a big deal for both companies and one i don't see ending in 2020 given the numbers and market place dominance of the brand) and even then, only if Lego see the profit in it for them.

Of course, could be wrong and we see a SWCMF line by Christmas :)
    floridabrickmustang69
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKPosts: 5,901
    A Star Wars CMF series or two would be a massive seller, and the only sane reason for not doing it would be licensing issues IMHO. As others have said, LEGO allegedly fell foul of the licensing issue a number of years back with their Star Wars magnet sets and ended up having to eat humble pie and glue the minifigs onto the bases as a result which went down like a lead balloon with fans.

There wouldn't need to be any overlap with retail sets due to the almost limitless choice of characters available. 
    Lego_StarShibYodaliciousgmonkey76
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USPosts: 1,722

mustang69 said:
    I'm certainly not a legal expert and I dont know the details of the contract between Disney(Lucasfilm) and Hasbro. It's my understanding though that Hasbro has the exclusive rights to produce action figures based on the Star Wars universe. I would think that if Disney wanted to let TLG in on the action (no pun intended :P ) they would need to work out something with Hasbro and since it's a fairly large cash cow for them at the moment I dont think they are going to want to give away any of that pie :) But yes, I guess never was the wrong word to use :)

You're missing my point somewhat. Disney has exclusive rights to produce action figures based on Star Wars. Those rights are currently licensed to Hasbro, apparently exclusively. If, when the contract expires, Disney tells Hasbro they want to split the pie with LEGO, what can Hasbro do? I'm sure plenty of toy manufacturers would line up for even a non-exclusive license for Star Wars action figures. Is no pie better than some pie? It's not about whether or not Hasbro wants to share, it's about whether or not Disney wants Hasbro to share.

I don't necessarily think Disney would do this. But if they wanted to see Star Wars CMFs on the shelves for whatever reason, they could likely make it happen.
    VorpalRyu
  • josekaleljosekalel Rio Grande Valley, TexasPosts: 651
    So then...Star Wars Collectable Buildable Mini Figures, Series 1 (of ?). 

As for "X CMF is in X set, which is why it can't be in a series" is really nonsense. People will and do buy even multiples of ONE single CMF design (hey, some of you have Banana Guy armies, I have my mariachi band...). If they release another Hoth Han, we'll love it and buy it, and love to buy it. Same thing for Leia, or Luke...they can improve in the prints and we'll be happy about it.

Now, if we can really get like a 100-pack of Storm or Clone Troopers so we can have armies at a low cost, that would be great...
    VorpalRyu
  • CCCCCC UKPosts: 14,118

There wouldn't need to be any overlap with retail sets due to the almost limitless choice of characters available. 

I'm not so sure. If they did a set with completely obscure characters that had never been in any sets, how well would they sell? No Luke, Leia, Darth Vader, Anakin, R2-D2, C-3PO, Yoda, etc ... I imagine well to adult collectors, but not so well to kids. Kids want the well known characters, which tend to appear in sets anyway. Would they be bugging parents to let them buy characters they don't necessarily know?

There is also the problem with named characters and number of them. The Simpsons set has shown that people tend not to army build with well defined characters (OK, I have a Homer army :-) ).  Would people really want a dozen or more identical Chewbaccas or Han Solos? Stormtroopers, yes, but I imagine not the named characters. So do they just go down the route of using it as a way to get army builders out. If they do, why not stick with the battle packs for this, as they do now? They are as cheap as current CMF per figure (often cheaper), plus you get a small build.

Dedgecko
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersPosts: 1,565
    We'll see SW Brickheadz before we see SW CMF.
    CM4SdspigelMattDawsonbinaryeyegmonkey76SeanTheCollectorDedgeckoMegtheCatLordmoral
    @monkey_roo  said it a lot better than I did. It pretty much comes down to how much Hasbro is willing to pay for the exclusive rights to make action figures.

VorpalRyu
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandPosts: 429
    First Shot Han?

Also I think the thread title shouldn't be changed cause this isn't happening. 
    sid3windrgmonkey76PatsyWalkerLordmoral