Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

2 questions about the future of the "Super heroes" line

GmanGman AlaskaMember Posts: 30
Since the lego "Super Heroes" line is both Marvel and DC. What if Lego were to eventually make their own original superhero characters that are neither Marvel or DC?

Also what if when The Incredibles 2 comes out Lego makes The Incredibles themed sets under the super heroes line?

Comments

• ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,294
    Given that LEGOs in house space themes don't get much of a look in against Star Wars I'd say DC and Marvel are pretty safe
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,278
    A LEGO-created Superhero line wouldn't do as well because of the lack of history of the characters. Think of the decades and decades Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Captain America, etc. have been around. That history is part of what makes them successful. LEGO would have to create their own from scratch, which I doubt they'd undertake.

The only way I could see LEGO creating their own original superhero line would be if they somehow lost the licensing deals with Marvel and DC.

That and just look at everywhere Marvel and DC are today. When I was my son's age...roughly 30 years ago...comic books were very much around, but the entire scope of their reach was much, MUCH smaller. There were Superman movies and then the first Michael Keaton Batman movie, and they were successful for the most part, but they weren't the juggernauts they are today. Today, they are so much more mainstream. Look at the toys and products and comics and books and movies and TV shows and...I'll stop now.

It's much better for LEGO to produce Marvel and DC sets than try to develop their own. They could make original characters that look cool, but they'd never be able to develop the legacy or history an Iron Man or Flash has.
    bandit778catwranglerjosekalel
  • elspankdogelspankdog TexasMember Posts: 245
    I assume The Incredibles would be Disney Super Heroes
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,278
    And if they did Incredibles 2 sets, it would be a set or two or three and then done. It wouldn't be an ongoing line.
    SumoLego
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 7,939
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 4,019
    The bad guys in Ultra Agents were basically supervillains and quite excellent ones. Shame the second wave got cut short but that goes to show how important IP tie-ins are for things like that these days.
    YodaliciousSumoLegoGalactus
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 496
    edited May 12
    Much more likely would be for Lego to do something like a Lego Iron Man movie (with related sets of course), or similar, although they've already covered spoofing a cocky superhero with TLBM.