Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

What to do with legos after mass sorting?

bobotechbobotech spokane, wa, usaMember Posts: 17
I bought a bunch of legos over the last few weeks.  I bought one tote that was over 22 pounds of legos.. But there was a lot of "other" bricks in there as well.   I ended up with 16 pounds of sorted Legos and like 5 pounds of Megablox/knex and a pound or so of just trash.  I also bought another tote with 13 pounds of legos and very very little illegal alien knockoffs.  I also bought a 4.5 pound bag of old classic 60s and 70s era legos.  nothing special, just normal legos. 

So now the smaller tote of Legos actually looks like the owner cared about them.  In it is a Black Pearl pirate ship and some small Star Wars legos sets and a couple other stuff.  There is a couple of instruction manuals.  Now with the Black Pearl ship, the hull appears to be all there, the masts are there, and all the sails seem to be there.   I'm going to see if I can pick out all the pieces of that one and build it.  But the rest of the stuff, do you just mix everything all together or keep them separate?  What does everyone do with mass bulk legos? 

When I was sorting the totes, I did pull out all the minifigures and technic parts and Bionicles and I bagged all those pieces separately.

I also have all my own legos that again were from bulk sales at one time so they are unknown sets.  But I'm not sure if I should just merge all of them together.

Comments

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 1,941
    I never mix Lego parts lots but I have a specific use for mine. I used to buy old incomplete sets and put them all back to original with parts lots that I bought. I keep each lot generally from a specific time period all separated so I could go back to that lot for period correct bricks. You might have something else in mind for the parts. What I would never do is mix the 60's or early 70's parts with anything else, that you will regret. 
    bobotechmadforLEGO
  • bobotechbobotech spokane, wa, usaMember Posts: 17
    Yeah, I'll just keep the 60's/70's bricks by themselves.  The first big batch of 16 pounds of legos are such a random crapshoot of bricks.  There really wasn't any fancy tell-tale parts like the hull, sails, masts of the Black Pearl in the second tote I bought.   Pretty much just a massive amount of random nice bricks.  I will probably break down the parts by color then by shape and bag them individually.  
    [
  • TheMaker37TheMaker37 Norfolk,VaMember Posts: 426
    You can sort them and enter them into a database for easy reference to see if you own a specific piece. I use Rebrickable. 
    bobotech
  • bobotechbobotech spokane, wa, usaMember Posts: 17
    Holy cow, just how long will that take to catalog?  LOL

• BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 4,019
    You can use minifigs or printed or unique parts to determine what other sets are in your bulk. Post some pictures to the Help Identify thread here and within a few hours you will get plenty of responses.
    datsunrobbiemadforLEGObobotech
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 917
    Most of the Lego I buy is used lots at a local thrift store, in lots ranging from half a pound to 20 pound tubs. My grandson helps find the non-Lego and "special" Lego parts, like balls, boulders, and clear canopies. Bionicle parts get separated out, and I look for oddball parts to help identify sets. I usually try to rebuild sets from the lots, so lots of gallon zip-lock bags get filled with partial sets. Over the last few months I've bought a lot more storage containers and started parting out the more common elements. I start with shoe-box sized tubs for bricks, plates, wheels, wedges - basically the categories used in Tom Alphin's labels http://brickarchitect.com/labels/ - and then when I get a shoe-box full I split those down to smaller drawers using those labels. 
    bobotech