Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

LEGO Marvel Superheroes 2 Videogame

ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,294

Just seen this on Facebook- I guess it's an original story one as the MCU one was LEGO Marvel Avengers.

Time to start speculating on a bonus minifigure? ;-)
LostInTranslationstluxReesesPiecesClutchPower

Comments

• OdeinoichusOdeinoichus CanadaMember Posts: 137
    I'd personally like to see Sue Storm The Invisible Woman or any number of X-Men that haven't been done yet because of the Fox issue with Marvel Studios.
  • Th1nDieselTh1nDiesel UKMember Posts: 149
    edited May 15
    I think they'll include a full roster of comic book characters like the first one did. F4 and X-Men included. 
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,294
    I think Odeinoichus was talking about bonus minifigs rather than game content :-)
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,182
    edited May 15
    http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/15/lego-marvel-super-heroes-2-announced-in-first-trailer-6638397

As far as characters we've not had in physical form before see concerned, the press release in the link mentions Cowboy Captain America, which sounds like a good promo minifig candidate. Also mentions Kang the Conqueror as the bad guy, and Spider Gwen features prominently in the promo art. 

That "trailer" (I'd call it a teaser not a trailer) really doesn't say very much.

The press release is interesting though. Interesting they've gone for a multiverse storyline - that could lead to some fun levels - Marvel Zombies anyone?

There are a lot of Marvel figs that could be included with it, any of the Fantastic 4 would be great - my vote would be for a Johnny Storm using the Ghost Rider flaming head piece - but SpiderGwen would be incredible. Given how the Spideman sets have been going over the last few years I wouldn't be surprised if LEGO would want to keep her for a set instead.

I'd much prefer a character we haven't got yet to an obscure version of an existing figure.
    edited May 15
    ^ i agree about preferring a whole new character but Cowboy Captain America just seems the type of thing they'd go for - a well known character in a quirky variant. 
    I see he's actually in the picture too. 
    edited May 15
    Just remembered seeing a (Hank Pym) Goliath minifigures on Reddit - could be that although it could have been a custom too
    I would love if they just gave us two figures in one Polybag similar to the Disco Batman/Tears of Batman poly for The LEGO Batman Movie. No matter what happens the promo will probably disappoint.
  • ImABrickManNowImABrickManNow BrickyMcBrickMember Posts: 262
    Spider-Man 2099 is featured rather prominently in the picture, it could be him.
    Legopassion8
  • AyliffeAyliffe the UK innit?Member Posts: 261
    so we're going from the two TT games that've shaken up the lego game formula the most to two that'll go back to the same old same old

great
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,130
    ....perhaps if I ever quit playing Breath of the Wild. 

My favorite thing about the Lego games is how they all end up at $19.99 really fast. It'd be nice if there was a way to get the Lego Dimensions pad involved with this game. Kinda like Amiibo where the extra content is there but not necessary. 

Off to ESPN --->
    ClutchPower
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 7,941
    Bah.  Cowboy Captain America?

I suppose that would be in character with Tartan Batman.  And completely undesirable to me...
    I thought that was the 2 Gun Kid not Cap.
    datsunrobbie
  • ClutchPowerClutchPower Austin, TexasMember Posts: 212
    Too bad there's no date for the Switch...
    edited May 15
  • EddieDoesntMindEddieDoesntMind Member Posts: 324

SumoLego said:

Bah.  Cowboy Captain America?

I suppose that would be in character with Tartan Batman.

But Batman actually has had different wacky suits for decades, cowboy Captain America doesn't have any rhyme or reason to exist.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 917

I thought that was the 2 Gun Kid not Cap.

Two Gun Kid would have been a good tie-in to Avengers #142
    edited May 16

Ayliffe said:

so we're going from the two TT games that've shaken up the lego game formula the most to two that'll go back to the same old same old

great

I appreciate that point of view but given Dimensions was late to the toys to life scene and Worlds is very similar to Minecraft neither felt particularly innovative as games in general. I do get the point of view though, they were different to specifically LEGO games, to me that's not as impressive as really innovative new concepts.

i don't mind a return to the standard, I just hope TT up their testing and reduce the crashes!

there's part of me that thinks they might shoe horn in some MCU content given that this is a multiverse story and clearly feature GotG Vol 2 Groot

What I'd like to see is future games that reference Dimensions, maybe incorporate some of the abilities of the Keystones for easter egg puzzles. Maybe even an entire section of a game where characters cross paths... provided they can get away with it. I loved the massive cross-over potential, and I'd hate to see it vanish with Dimensions, even if it's just more WB properties popping up in The LEGO Ninjago Movie or the like it'd still be worth it.

That being said it'll be nice to go back to playing games without having to juggle the characters physically. As far as crashing problems are concerned, I'm afraid TT is never going to fully improve in that regards. It strikes me that they tend to rush things through in order to get as many games out there as possible. Look at how many LEGO games actually exist since LEGO Star Wars exploded the genre back in the day.

We've had two or three a year since the IPs came fast and furious. TT really rushes things a bit too quickly at times.

I won't be able to play this game anyway. PS3 is finally losing support, so until I upgrade yet again to a PS4 I'm stuck with just playing the older games. I really hope The Ninjago Movie game is handled much better than The LEGO Movie game, that one was just plain boring in its formulaic approach and lack of truly innovative ideas. Considering the very nature of The LEGO Movie that's saying something.

ClutchPower
    edited May 16
    The crossover thing was definitely the best thing about LEGO Dimensions. Personally I'd love them to put out a LEGO Dimensions 2 that continues the story without the toys to life element. 

I don't expect to see any of that in future LEGO games, but I'd love it if they at least put Easter egg characters in - like how Indiana Jones appeared in LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga as an unlockable character- given all the franchises Disney owns there could be some real fun done with that.

Another potential positive of the standard games is that the vehicles won't have to be oddly proportioned mini versions of the vehicles, that bugged me a lot with Dimensions.

edited May 16

I don't know, they were fun to build and collect. Atrocious to control though, but that's a problem across all the LEGO TT Games with Vehicles, they just can't seem to get land-vehicles to handle well enough. I always have so many problems with tight turns for those stupid races, and I really wish they'd ditch that gimmick, ever since they introduced them (I want to say in LEGO Batman 3) they've been nothing but aggravating chores.

I just finally scored the gold brick for Sonic's Ice Cap Zone race, he's even more annoying with his slippery controls and easy to fall off loops and junk. I'd be extremely happy if TT and WB Games just ditched these stupid races.

gmonkey76sonatine01Ayliffe
    Shib said:

but given Dimensions was late to the toys to life scene
    Wasn't referring to Dimensions - outside of the toypad gimmicks it stuck as close to the TT formula as humanly possible, and although it was fun at launch the lack of gameplay innovation really gets tiring quick. I was actually referring to the LC:U remaster, which at least tries to expand the formula with the openworld stuff an' the like.
    and Worlds is very similar to Minecraft
    ...nah mate. Once you get past the "procedurally-generated worlds made outta building blocks" comparison, there's actually a lot more unique stuff going on under the hood that Minecraft (or at least vanilla minecraft, dunno about mods) hasn't even gone near yet. The terrain tools and vehicles work really damn well and the absolute sheer charm TT's been able to insert into this game without using someone else's IP as leverage really is stunning. It's absolutely the finest TT lego game in forever and I love it to bits for trying something new with their formula.
    they were different to specifically LEGO games, to me that's not as impressive as really innovative new concepts
    Here's the thing though - I don't really need the lego games to be the most revolutionary games on the planet or anything. I don't really want or feel the need for TT to bring Nintendo-level innovation to the table, they just need to step outside of the traditional-TT-formula-shaped box and look for ways they can experiment whilst still maintaining the core charm that makes it, y'know, a lego game. Sorta how the pre-TT lego games did it (Lego Island, Racers, Rock Raiders, etc etc) but with a bit more polish and consistency innit.

I don't need TT to be an absolute gamechanger, but I'd like at least some more attempts at exploring and evolving the format please. A racing game would be pretty cool for example (although maybe get a studio that's experienced with kart racers like Sumo Digital to help, 'cos TT's vehicles all control like a block of flats on shopping trolley wheels).
    I just hope TT up their testing and reduce the crashes!
    Amen to this though - WB Games keeps ordering TT to make more and more games per year, so it'd be nice for them to stop doing lots of fairly buggy same-y games and just work on one or two core super-polished unique experiences, y'know? 

Anyways that's my two cents on the whole thing, so there ya go.
    Ah, I don't particularly count LEGO City Undercover as new given it was released on Wii U in 2013.

I do remember loving LEGO Racers on the N64 back in the day and would love a modern take on that, with a range of in house themes old and current (City, Nexo Knights, Monster Fighters, Ninjago, Classic Space etc) being represented, but I definitely don't trust TT to do it well.

I don't particularly mind the standard structure games that TT do produce though, it's mindless fun and frankly sometimes that's all I want from a computer game - it doesn't mean I always want that but that's why I buy other games ;-)

• FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 1,776
    the last and only lego game I played so far was lego island, it was a bit limited in content, but it was pretty awesome because it was so crazy and silly. wonder if the modern games have the same craziness?
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,903

Fauch said:

the last and only lego game I played so far was lego island, it was a bit limited in content, but it was pretty awesome because it was so crazy and silly. wonder if the modern games have the same craziness?

Not quite as off the wall as Lego Island, but they are tongue-in-cheek renditions of the source material. I'd recommend them - if there's a game of a movie/series you like, I'd recommend picking that and going with it. Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones - I can recommend all of those. I never played the Superhero ones, but they're pretty well received as far as I can tell. Plus you can get them on Steam for ~£4 depending on the game and a lot of them will run happily on just about any old hardware. Just avoid The Hobbit, Indiana Jones 2 and TLM. They were janky.
  • MattPetersenMattPetersen Florida, USAMember Posts: 267
    edited May 19
    But Batman actually has had different wacky suits for decades, cowboy Captain America doesn't have any rhyme or reason to exist.

Captain America has been a cowboy in a few stories. 
    Most recently in the Secret Wars storyline from last year, Marvel 1872. 
    "What If" alternate Universe versions of characters are always explored. So yeah, he has a reason to exist and does. 

• MattPetersenMattPetersen Florida, USAMember Posts: 267
    Personally, I'd love to see the Fantastic Four finally come to LEGO (especially since their arch villain Dr. Doom made it). But, until MARVEL grows up and stops this silly vendetta with Fox, I don't see it happening. 

If we are going quirky I'd love to see Spider-Ham as the minifigure giveaway! 
    If we are going the serious route, a new alternate version of Falcon as Captain America would be nice or Jane Foster as Thor. 
    Spider-Ham would be awesome but would need a moulded head so pretty unlikely for a promo. 

problem is there's so many they could do that at this point it's a massive stab in the dark. My money will stay on the Hank Pym Goliath until the image is seen of it is discredited in any way
    datsunrobbie
    The proper trailer's dropping later today, so you know what that means? That's right, it's bingo time!

You're welcome.
    danstraindepot
    Double post 'cos... trailer is up a tad early on the tubez!

• plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,903
    ^^Link broken :(

But in fairness, Lego game trailers don't usually show the gameplay because everyone knows what the gameplay is! Like it or not, that's what you can trust about the Tt Games. Every now and then they add stuff to the formula, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    Here's a not-broken link for yer enjoyment:

ClutchPowergmonkey76
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,231

MattPetersen said:
    But, until MARVEL grows up and stops this silly vendetta with Fox, I don't see it happening. 

Fox needs to grow up and realize that outside of X-Men they suck at making Marvel movies and just sell the rights back to Disney.
    gmonkey76stlux
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 7,941
    edited May 24
    pharmjod said:

MattPetersen said:
    But, until MARVEL grows up and stops this silly vendetta with Fox, I don't see it happening. 

Fox needs to grow up and realize that outside of X-Men they suck at making Marvel movies and just sell the rights back to Disney.

If you really look at their track record, about half of the Fox X-Men movies are good.  (Maybe half, and X-Mecn: Apocalypse was terrible.)  
    gmonkey76stlux
    Has anyone seen preorders for the minifigure edition of this in the U.K. anywhere? I checked the normal places but haven't seen it yet...
    edited September 19
    Amazon have a minifigure version available for preorder, for PS4 and Xbox One. 
    Shib
    edited September 19
    Do you have a link @LostInTranslation - i can only see one that shows no reference to the fig. Ninjago movie game on the other hand has the minifigure version nice and easy to find

EDIT - sorry just seen it, no product image threw me off
    LostInTranslation
  • obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 364
    Shib said:
    Has anyone seen preorders for the minifigure edition of this in the U.K. anywhere? I checked the normal places but haven't seen it yet...
    i've been regularly hassling arthur parsons on twitter for information and so far he's been unable, or unwilling, to provide any.

i've also checked in my local game (and on their website) and they dont know anything.

unfortunately, none of the usual suspects have anything other than the standard edition.