Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

MOC Idea Help.

OdeinoichusOdeinoichus CanadaMember Posts: 100

I have never undertaken a MOC project before and have no idea if this is the correct location in the forum to post this discussion, however I have this nagging idea that won't leave me alone.

I want to build some kind of combination display/storage medium for my LEGO Dimensions collection. I just have no idea where to start, so I thought I'd get some advice and pointers.

When you start a MOC do you plan it out first? Or just go with flashes of inspiration?

What's the best program to use to practice with 3d building? I know there's something out there, but have never touched it before honestly and again have no idea where to start.

I think that covers everything, so, now I leave it up to you to answer questions and offer pointers. If you'd care to, nobody is ever obligated for these sorts of things after all.

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,207

When you start a MOC do you plan it out first?

Nope, I go straight to the parts bins.

Unless it is a replica of something, when having some photos will help.
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,109
    I go straight to the actual parts too. 

I used LDD once and, honestly, hated it. While it was good to use parts I didn't actually own yet, it didn't do much for structural integrity. Once I built the truck I had designed with real bricks, it fell apart almost immediately. For me, planning, testing, building, editing...is all done with the real bricks. 
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 7,100
    edited May 16
    I get an idea in my head, buy a bunch of sets that I think would have applicable parts for the project, then I literally do nothing for three years.

I try to do that 2 or 3 times per year.  

I also do that with 'restoring' older sets that are missing pieces.
    elspankdogbandit778Bumblepantsgmonkey76PeteMdatsunrobbiericecakecatwranglerdavetheoxygenman