Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

DETOLF

xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 677
edited May 18 in Collecting
I'm considering moving my collection from two deep shelves to an IKEA DETOLF cabinet.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/cabinets-sideboards/detolf-glass-door-cabinet-black-brown-art-10119206/

I know the UCS X-wing isn't going to fit in (I haven't seen any cabinet with internal dimensions big enough), but I assume the top of the cabinet is flat so it'll stand on top okay?

What have others done about lighting? The recommended LEDBERG light is a single, designed to fit under the top surface. Have others used this? I thought about having a light under each shelf but given that they're glass I thought all the extra wiring would be a bit unsightly.

How about UV protection, has anyone used UV film on a glass display cabinet to protect their collection?

Opinions and photos of LEGO on display in DETOLF cabinets welcome :)

Comments

• TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 678
    I have the Detolf with a single light. For uv protection i just keep it out of direct sunlight and hope that is enough. On a shelf i have two vw campers and on another the new vw beetle and the Ferrari f40. So that should give an idea of size.
    Jackad7
  • JooTogJooTog Southern CaliforniaMember Posts: 798
    I have two of those cabinets that I used to display other collectibles and recently have been used to display LEGO.

I also keep it far away from sunlight, so I hope it is not an option. I do not have a light on it either.

I am in the process of rearranging my displayed sets, but currently, one of the cabinets hosts modular buildings and the other one City and Nexo Knights sets.
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 504
    I have a Detolf without lights. It houses my Haunted House, Frozen display, and an assortment of other stuff both LEGO and non-LEGO related. So far it's pretty good, except that the gaps in the sides do let a fair amount of dust in. I remedied that by getting window gap brush seals. It's also blocked from sunlight by a large Billy bookcase I placed right next to it.
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 677
    I don't plan on putting it in direct sunlight, but thought maybe applying UV film to the glass before assembly might be a worthwhile upgrade?
  • SeanTheCollectorSeanTheCollector BirminghamMember Posts: 442
    I also have one of these. They weigh a ton and are a pain to build by yourself! They are great for showing off modular buildings but the width is a bit limiting and the shelf locations are fixed. Still worth having one or two of these.

I also have one of these. They weigh a ton and are a pain to build by yourself! They are great for showing off modular buildings but the width is a bit limiting and the shelf locations are fixed. Still worth having one or two of these.

They are ace for the price however!!
    SeanTheCollector
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 408
    Has anyone put one of these on wheels? I have one but haven't assembled it yet because of the weight and I'm not sure of its final location.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 833
    Here's a link to an album I put together of random LEGO since I came out of my Dark Age. I've got two Detolf cabinets with some cheap wire-frame storage boxes stuck between them, stuck in the middle of an old entertainment center. Pix of the Detolf cabinets start around 11 rows down the page. Please pardon the redundant pictures, I have not taken the time to tidy up the folder.

https://goo.gl/photos/N753wMJA14NLJRG8A

catwrangler
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,053
    I was just shopping these as well for a my action figure display. Will be in a finished basement, so I'm not worried about UV.  Seems like a great display cabinet for the price.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 1,682
    the link in the original post says 43cm. it looks small in pics. it should be big enough to fit the original quinjet?
    edited May 20

I don't plan on putting it in direct sunlight, but thought maybe applying UV film to the glass before assembly might be a worthwhile upgrade?

Having looked into this it seems like the hassle and expense might not be worth it. UV is only supposed to be responsible for about 40% of fading and yellowing, and standard glass stops 95% of UV-A and about 25% of UV-B, so being behind an extra pane of glass should protect it more than being on an open shelf anyway.

Fauch said:

the link in the original post says 43cm. it looks small in pics. it should be big enough to fit the original quinjet?

I believe the internal dimensions of each shelf are 34cm deep x 39cm wide x 38cm high.
    TheFew
    Useful info. I'm glad my lego room is triple glazed!
    Well I still haven't bought one of these. I can't help feeling that the whole point of a display cabinet is to keep the dust out - and the gaps on the DETOLF are annoying (putting brush seals in doesn't appeal).

It's a shame IKEA don't make the KALLAX with a wood-framed glass door. I know you can get glass door inserts, but that would be like having lots of little cupboards.

The hunt continues...
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 726
    I know you can get glass door inserts, but that would be like having lots of little cupboards.
    Well, not really anymore since they discontinued them. I did find one seller on Etsy who makes them but they are a bit pricey. I've been looking for an alternative that is more cost-efficient.
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,818
    I have two detolfs and they're great. Keep in mind that they only keep just over a 32x32 baseplate in each shelf. I think I remember the detectives office modular fitting almost perfectly.
    ricecake said:
    I know you can get glass door inserts, but that would be like having lots of little cupboards.
    Well, not really anymore since they discontinued them. I did find one seller on Etsy who makes them but they are a bit pricey. I've been looking for an alternative that is more cost-efficient.
    Actually in the UK they're still available...
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,818
    ricecake said:
    @ricecake is across the pond though. I'm not sure if they are still around in Canada.

• nhyonenhyone Member Posts: 126
    If only there is a double-width DETOLF...
    SeanTheCollector
    @ricecake is across the pond though.

Yes I know, he's in Maryland, USA. That's why I said they're still available here in the UK...
  • JooTogJooTog Southern CaliforniaMember Posts: 798
    I have two detolfs and they're great. Keep in mind that they only keep just over a 32x32 baseplate in each shelf. I think I remember the detectives office modular fitting almost perfectly.
    I have a 48x32 modular in one. Mind you, it's the Parisian Restaurant and one of the halves of the Pet Shop. Doubt the Assembly Square could be put inside unless its built inside the cabinet. Maybe if the shelves are removed, sliding in only the first floor, placing the shelf, and then adding the other floors... uhm, my try that after I come back from my trip.
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 726
    @xwingpilot Thanks for the heads up, I checked the site and they are tagged as "New" so that gives me hope that they will be reintroduced here in the States, as I imagine shipping them across the pond might be risky and expensive due to the glass.

@bobabricks I checked the Canadian site and they are not there either.
    So I bit the bullet and went for a KALLAX instead of a DETOLF.

I may or may not upgrade it with glass door inserts depending on whether dust or children become a problem...
    khmellymelricecakechuckpMynattGothamConstructionCocatwrangler77ncaachamps
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,170
    ^ For £30 it's pretty good! It's just nice to have a whole piece of furniture dedicated to display :)
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 7,747
    I may or may not upgrade it with glass door inserts depending on whether dust or children become a problem...
    My children don't like to stay in their storage cabinets.  Always a problem.
    sid3windrMynattsklambxwingpilotgmonkey76GothamConstructionCocatwranglerMattDawsonchuckp