Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

what is the best way to remove stickers without damaging them?

dragologerdragologer U.S.AMember Posts: 125
hi! i have some stickers i want to transfer to different parts but i want to keep them as perfect as possible. what is the best way to remove a sticker from a part without damaging it? 

Comments

• AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 673
    I haven't really tried transferring stickers, but every time I get one on crooked I have to peel and reposition. Based on that experience, I would find a small knife with which to get under a corner and start lifting it (without scratching the piece, of course). This is less damaging to the sticker than a fingernail, and lets you lift it without getting more skin oils on it than necessary. When reapplied, that corner still tends to adhere more weakly in my experience.

Keep in mind that stickers from a certain era (the ones that crack and flake) will not come off clean no matter what you try (well, what I tried). 
  • dragologerdragologer U.S.AMember Posts: 125
    ok thank you. i will try that. :)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,267
    I use an exacto on old stickers, blade is No. 16 scoring blade.. I find it is a bit better than a regular exacto blade for some reason. Just take care not to score the brick (unless the brick you are taking the sticker from is junk, then have at it). I think a blade, while a bit dangerous (as you have to ensure you do not cut the sticker either) is a good way to go, and-if the blade is clean- less likely to get dirt/oil on it when removing it. New stickers, well, you may as well just wait til they dog ear and remove them that way. :-)
    But I also use the No. 16 blade for sticker placement as well
  • dragologerdragologer U.S.AMember Posts: 125
    I use an exacto on old stickers, blade is No. 16 scoring blade.. I find it is a bit better than a regular exacto blade for some reason. Just take care not to score the brick (unless the brick you are taking the sticker from is junk, then have at it). I think a blade, while a bit dangerous (as you have to ensure you do not cut the sticker either) is a good way to go, and-if the blade is clean- less likely to get dirt/oil on it when removing it. New stickers, well, you may as well just wait til they dog ear and remove them that way. :-)
    But I also use the No. 16 blade for sticker placement as well
    thanks! :)
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 607
    Hairdryers are good for lifting stickers
  • KazJYKazJY Member Posts: 65
    So, this might work as well - I use the edge of a sticker sheet- the wax paper edge, so to speak.  When I put stickers down, for example, I leave one corner up before I press it all tight.  If the sticker is crooked, I use the sticker sheet, slide it under the loose corner, grab on with my thumb, and peel it back again.  this works well, though foil stickers, the gummy stuff sometimes balls up and then you see a little bump, but go slow.

The paper might be a bit more gentle on the sticker edge.  YMMV.  Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
    RedMarkLEGO_Dad77
  • matrox2001matrox2001 Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2017
    Second the hair drier recommendation. 

Heat at the sticker for 30 secs or so and gently peel off with clean edge of a blade. 

Watch you don't overheat rhe plastic though, as you can distort it. 

I always clean the surface with rubbing alcohol before re-applying the sticker to clean off all grease. 

snowhitie
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 560
    Everyone loves to complain about stickers but I appreciate how well-made they are today. I've taken the same sticker off a broken flap from Jedi Interceptor 75038 twice now and re-applied to a new flap (3rd one!) with no problems. It looks like new and adhered just fine.
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 775
    Stickers are awesome! I recently just put together a Bandai model Shoretrooper action figure that had decals that were so small they had to be held with tweezers. No one should ever complain about Lego stickers. They aren't that hard to apply and you don't have to use tweezers.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,267
    Stickers are awesome! I recently just put together a Bandai model Shoretrooper action figure that had decals that were so small they had to be held with tweezers. No one should ever complain about Lego stickers. They aren't that hard to apply and you don't have to use tweezers.
    The complaint is that LEGO sticker quality has gone way down over the past 20 years and they tend to peel and dog ear fairly easily(though I think may have gotten a bit better as of late), printed parts cannot 'dog ear'. People also have an issue with stickers across parts because then they are more likely to get damaged if you have to dismantle a set. Many reasons to love and hate stickers.
    FowlerBricksCrownie
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 258
    Are there still sets that have stickers over multiple pieces? Haven't come across one myself in years. Last one I recall was on one of my son's police vehicles, but that must've been 8-10 years ago I reckon. 
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 140
    Gosh I haven’t seen STAMPs since sets I had when i was a kid!  I’m so thankful that LEGO doesn’t do this anymore.  I had 6378 as an older kid, and happy I was older, as so much of that set would be lost if the Shell branding was gone, but I knew well enough when disassembling it to keep the stickered pieces together.  Not so much an issue nowadays.  But, the issue with broken bricks & needing to move the stockers to a new brick, as I’m thinking the OP is looking for, can you purchase new repro sticker sheets for some sets?
  • tmgm528tmgm528 Member Posts: 373
    The complaint is that LEGO sticker quality has gone way down over the past 20 years and they tend to peel and dog ear fairly easily(though I think may have gotten a bit better as of late), printed parts cannot 'dog ear'. People also have an issue with stickers across parts because then they are more likely to get damaged if you have to dismantle a set. Many reasons to love and hate stickers.
    Have a 2012 Republic Frigate this is is badly affecting. Those damn round engines/escape pod are too curvy for those stickers to stick to, they're peeling!
  • PeteMPeteM Gallifrey (near Bristol)Member Posts: 318
    #10219 Maersk Train is the last set with STAMP that I can recall...
    Bumblepants