Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Bricklink 'Additonal fees'

Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 413
So I was ordering off bricklink a couple of days ago I used the 'Buy all' feature for my wants list. After scrolling through the list I found a seller asking a reasonable price for the items I was looking for so I added the items to my cart. Despite the fact that the seller had no minimum purchase required they were going to charge an additional $2 for anything under $10. So at $8 I added another item that I wanted because I was paying the $2 anyway. I just got invoiced twice of what my order was because the seller had a '$1 minimum average per lot' which was worded a heck of a lot different in the terms page. I have seen plenty of large sellers charge more because they have a wider selection of parts and that's fine but it seems rather dishonest to put restrictions on your terms page rather than on the items/buy limit so that they won't appear when using the 'Buy all' feature. Also I messaged the seller about doubling the cost of my purchase and got a wonderfully thought out response that was a six word sentence.

Comments

• DawnDawn GoldMember Posts: 235
    That is why I don't buy parts on BL anymore as seller can do whatever they want. It is unreasonable to expect a buyer that look at multiple stores to read all the terms, and even so you can still caught in unexpected fees.

BL price comparison is a joke, as it might be cheaper in the end to buy a 15c part from a seller than the same part at 1c with another seller, in BO at least the picture is clear...
    bandit778Jackad7
  • CaptainLegoCaptainLego FloridaMember Posts: 83
    I haven't started any big projects, but, I usually try to find everything I need from one seller. Usually a seller I've ordered from before.
  • DaraghDaragh IrelandMember Posts: 331
    Unfortunately BL don't seem to care what sellers charge or how they make up their charges and they are only making it worse with the "new" wanted list changes and the proposed changes due to come. If they would only get on with instant check-out and stop messing about with other non-urgent things it would help, at least buyers would be able to see what the total cost would be, not really a big thing in this day and age - what other online sales site do you have to wait for the seller to calculate charges and postage and issue an invoice ....  

It's the major advantage the Brickowl has, no hidden charges and instant check-out, unfortunately it's a much smaller market place and personally although I sell there (as well as Bricklink) I find Brickowl much harder to get around as a buyer. 

catwrangler
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,207
    Tell the seller that the terms were not clear and you would like the order cancelled now you know the full costs.

sid3windr
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 467
    I keep trying to think up 6 word sentences but keep getting stuck at 5.

Anyway, if the invoice does not correspond to the terms you can just go ahead and cancel the order, I'd think.
  • DaraghDaragh IrelandMember Posts: 331
    Yes, if the sellers terms do not match what they have charged that is a legitimate reason to cancel and no receive a NPB (Non Paying Buyer) against you, be clear that the reason for cancellation is that charges did not match terms. If you cancel because you don't like the costs but they were clear in the terms, you can still cancel, but the seller is likely to file a NPB on you - get three and you are banned from buying ever again on BL!  

BL really need to get a handle on how charges are applied and what terms sellers use as even though I am a seller I think this should be clamped down on as it discourages buyers, particularly people new to the site. 

Jackad7catwranglerMattDawson
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 2,350
    I find European sellers are a lot worse for that than UK sellers. A lot of European sellers charge a fee for using Paypal, which I believe is against Paypal T&Cs.
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 467
    It's only against PP T&C in the US (maybe UK too, I don't know - but not mainland EU). I really dislike it though. Throws off the entire "sort by price".
    Jackad7
  • MeadleMeadle UKMember Posts: 82
    I think the charge per lot fees etc should be banned outright. They artificially get sellers appearing as the cheapest for wanted lists and then hidden charges inflate that figure. If sellers want to charge more for single items etc (as it does take more work) they should be made to raise their prices and then use the automated discounts for purchases of larger amounts of individual items.
    DaraghJackad7dougtsCaptainLegoKevin_Hyatt
  • carnage717carnage717 U.S.AMember Posts: 86
    Meadle said:
    I think the charge per lot fees etc should be banned outright. They artificially get sellers appearing as the cheapest for wanted lists and then hidden charges inflate that figure. If sellers want to charge more for single items etc (as it does take more work) they should be made to raise their prices and then use the automated discounts for purchases of larger amounts of individual items.
     If I'm buying something and I see a seller with lot fees,  I just leave immediately. It is just not worth the hassle no matter how cheap the part is. 
    Dedgeckogmonkey76HeliumbunnydougtsBumblepantsstluxsid3windrdatsunrobbieCaptainLego
  • alexwilalexwil UKMember Posts: 296
    Meadle said:
     If I'm buying something and I see a seller with lot fees,  I just leave immediately. It is just not worth the hassle no matter how cheap the part is. 
    Yep! Me too, quite annoying when the store has a lot of different parts that you are after as well. 

Lot fees and/orPayPal fee means I find the parts elsewhere. 
    gmonkey76
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 3,743
    I don't understand why sellers make all these fees for this and that. Just bake the overhead into the price and it will be much easier for you and the buyer. The buyers who are scouring for the very lowest price per part are the same buyers who are going to be most upset getting a lot of fees slapped on.
    CaptainLegodougts
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,207
    Meadle said:
    Hopefully BL will implement the data they collect in a better way. It is now possible for a seller to put what the lot average should be before a buyer can check out. As BL have this data, they could ban any other lot fees, and implement the ones they collect into the wants list search. So if a seller has a £1 minimum per lot average, then this could be used by BL when calculating wants lists costs. So if a seller has 8 lots you are interested in, and the total comes to £3.45, then it appears as £8 total in the list not the actual price of £3.45.

I have nothing against having minimums. As a seller I use them. I hate orders where buyers take 1 of this 1p item, 1 of this 1p item, ... and the order has a few hundred lots like it. That type of order is simply not worth dealing with. Whereas a buyer buying all of this 1p item, and all of this 1p item, etc are worth it. I often bag up smaller value parts now anyway, and sell as all-or-nothing. Or if I have lots, sell as pre-packed bags of 50 or 100.

CaptainLego
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 549
    On BL, if the seller adds on fees, are those fees calculated as part of the total amount considered for BL's fees from the sellers?  If so, that's a great incentive NOT to ban or limit fees on BL's part...
    CaptainLego
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,584
    ^ They are not, which make it even more puzzling why BL still allow this practice.
    Jackad7CaptainLego
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 413
    So the seller agreed to cancel the order after complaining about it a bit. Went ti order from another seller and found out that it is apparently a feature to add the 'minimum lot average' so it wont let you check out without meeting the average. Apparently the first seller was just too lazy to use this feature? I'm glad I'm not the only one who found first instance rather ridiculous.
    CaptainLego