Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Set Brick Storage Methods?

FSealFSeal San Digeo, Ca.Member Posts: 8
So I was curious as to how people store their set bricks. Do you keep them together as a set? Or do you mix them in with your general brick storage? Or maybe buy one set to keep as a set and another to use as a general use bricks for MOCs?

I've just started getting into some basic Lego stuff and I'm torn between keeping the set bricks separated and therefore not really usable or mixing them all together but then maybe not being able to easily pick out the set again when needed (Or missing parts do to being in other builds)

Just wondering if there was a method that made more sense one way or another that I can't see at this stage.

Comments

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 1,843
  • FSealFSeal San Digeo, Ca.Member Posts: 8
    I see, thanks. Seems like people fall into two categories and the answer to my Q is obvious once you know if you are a set collector primarily or a MOC builder primarily. Unfortunately I haven't figured that out yet, thus my inability to decide which way to go with the storage methodology. :)
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 1,843
    edited June 7
    My only point in the whole decision process is that once you break down sets into a pile it's hard to go back. But it is your Lego.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 775
    You could also go for option 3, and store both ways. I mostly either buy used bricks or heavily discounted new sets.

I keep sets that I'm interested in building together, either built and displayed or disassembled and stored as a set. New sets stay boxed up until I get around to building them, even if bought primarily for parts. It is not ideal for finding parts, but saves the time of sorting out the parts and leaves the option to sell the sets as new sets.

I go through the used parts looking for pieces that indicate which set they came from, and sort things out depending on my level of interest in the set. Last night I went through the used lot I picked up over the weekend, a really odd mix of Friends, Space Police, City and Star Wars parts, all jumbled together. Red and white parts went in one bag, black and greys in another, and Friends colors in the third. I'll end up building the #7675 AT-TE Walker I dug out of the pile. Other parts that I can see making a set get bagged as a set or dumped into a bin full of similar parts (Friends, City fire station, trains, etc.), while more "generic" parts get sorted by type into drawers.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 7,920
    I keep my sets intact (and use large ziplog bags) that I want to keep as sets. I separate parts I grab from a set solely to use for MOCs; right now I have a few bins filed with part bags from set boxes (removed to save space; have not figured out how exactly I want to store those parts).