Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Seven Lego Death Stars later...

GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Salem, MA, USAMember Posts: 308
http://io9.gizmodo.com/spider-man-homecoming-went-through-seven-lego-death-st-1795971372

I wonder if they had a Lego wrangler on set to build each Death Star, or if it was several people?
MynattLyonel_McBaseplate11Adzbadboy

Comments

• samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 3,971
    Merriam-Webster Dictionary definition of wealth: Buying seven copies of a LEGO set rather than just simply rebuilding the one that you have. 
    SprinkleOtterGeordiePaulMynattJackad7
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 770
    ^Let's say it takes 24 hrs. to build one and there is a mistake in filming, do you shut down the whole film to remake it? No you get the backup DS. 7 x $500 is $3500 I'm sure the actors alone make more than that in one hour, so it's just good business sense to have more than one ready. Plus after filming is done it can be auctioned off, I'm sure someone will pay good money for it.
    SprinkleOtterdougtsstluxJackad7CCCLyichir
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 407
    Not to burst any bubbles, but I'm guessing they didn't exactly have to be built perfectly, thus saving some labor.
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 637
    Not to burst any bubbles, but I'm guessing they didn't exactly have to be built perfectly, thus saving some labor.
    I'd think the exact OPPOSITE.  Surely they realise there will be dozens of LEGO nerds that will be watching that scene frame by frame on 50"+ flat screens looking for build and continuity errors!  Heck, there's probably a dozen LEGO nerds on this forum ALONE that will be doing it!
    legomatt said:
    I'm guessing they didn't exactly have to be built perfectly, thus saving some labor.
    Palpatine thought as much, too. ;0)
    I thought Krennic was the fall guy for that :)
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 434
    I must say, Spiderman Homecoming is a great time and I really enjoyed it. On top of this who cannot love the Lego product placement. As the movie was going, I did wonder if the re release of the Death Star was in anyway coordinated with the release of the movie or if it was all just a convenient coincidence for Lego.
    Onebricktoomany
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 482
    Mynatt said:
    I must say, Spiderman Homecoming is a great time and I really enjoyed it. On top of this who cannot love the Lego product placement. As the movie was going, I did wonder if the re release of the Death Star was in anyway coordinated with the release of the movie or if it was all just a convenient coincidence for Lego.
    The Death Star used for the destruction was the older version.  The newer one wasn't out yet during filming.  A local LUG member was tasked in acquiring the Death Stars and building them out for the shoot.  Some were built to disintegrate, some were built to specs, and they were all shipped out to the production crew.
    Adzbadboycatwrangler
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 434
    Gooker1 said:
    The Death Star used for the destruction was the older version.  The newer one wasn't out yet during filming.  A local LUG member was tasked in acquiring the Death Stars and building them out for the shoot.  Some were built to disintegrate, some were built to specs, and they were all shipped out to the production crew.
    Ah, in the movie https://brickset.com/minifigs/sw634a/emperor-palpatine-(spongy-cape) shows up so I assumed the newer model had been used for filming.
    Onebricktoomany
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 7,998
    edited July 7
    Whatever floated the producers boat I guess.
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,814
    samiam391 said:
    Merriam-Webster Dictionary definition of wealth: Buying seven copies of a LEGO set rather than just simply rebuilding the one that you have. 
    I wouldn't be surprised if more like 12 were actually built but only 7 were used. The thing about a big production like this is that every minute probably costs about $100,000. To spend  $4,000 on multiple Lego sets and lay people to build them is much more cost effective than rebuilding the set every take
    gmonkey76dougtsstluxOnebricktoomany
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 7,730
    edited July 9
    Um, I'm sure Lego happily handed a dozen sets to the production crew.  And had another dozen waiting to be delivered. And probably cut a sizeable check for the product placement in a (likely) billion dollar film.

Companies pay handsome product placement fees to be mentioned or visible in huge summer blockbusters.  Add in the fact it was featured in the trailers, as well.

Sony didn't pay a dime for those sets, I'm sure.
    stluxOnebricktoomanySprinkleOtterdatsunrobbieCCC
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 1,679
    lego sure likes disintegrating death stars
    SumoLego said:
    Um, I'm sure Lego happily handed a dozen sets to the production crew.  And had another dozen waiting to be delivered. And probably cut a sizeable check for the product placement in a (likely) billion dollar film.

Companies pay handsome product placement fees to be mentioned or visible in huge summer blockbusters.  Add in the fact it was featured in the trailers, as well.

Sony didn't pay a dime for those sets, I'm sure.
    See @Gooker1's post above.
    SumoLegosid3windrOnebricktoomany
    ^ Right, but I'm sure actual placement fees were negotiated directly with Lego.  There are any number of other collapsible products that could have substituted for a DS.

No dollar goes un-claimed when dealing with blockbuster films.

(It's not a coincidence that Tony Stark drives an Audi.)
    SprinkleOtter
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,430
    How long before eBay listings for scores of #10188 have "movie memorabilia" or "as seen in Spider-Man - Homecoming" start appearing to try to generate sales?
    SumoLegoSprinkleOttergmonkey76YodaliciousAdzbadboy
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 637
    SumoLego said:
    SNIP
    (It's not a coincidence that Tony Stark drives an Audi.)
    And happy drives an A8 - I could kind of accept that 'in universe' Stark Industries would stick with a single vehicle supplier but then Flash shows up in the TT... By that stage I was a bit Audi'ed out.  
      Dell had an Ad for their new Inspiron running in the cinema before the movie.   When it showed up on screen, I actually noticed an audible buzz in the cinema as people were mentioning it (including
    my own son).   Come to think of it , the Dell got him as nearly as excited as Aunt May got me...
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 482
    It sure was fun to see how many people made little comments under their breath about the destruction of the death star in the movie. "Savages!", "oh no!"  crap like that.  
  • herbyderbyherbyderby CaliforniaMember Posts: 39
    bandit778 said:
    How long before eBay listings for scores of #10188 have "movie memorabilia" or "as seen in Spider-Man - Homecoming" start appearing to try to generate sales?
    That's a good idea, I'll let you know if it works. Trying to upgrade my MISB 10188 to a 75159 without having to spend extra money. My only other idea is to buy 75159 now and then wait for it to EOL before offloading 10188, but I may not live that long...

Maybe I can get Jacob Batalon to sign the brown shipper.
    SumoLegostluxbandit778
    ^ I may be able to help you with that...
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,847
    I hope this product placement doesn't back-fire on Lego. Who wants to spend that much money and time on something that will disintegrate so easily? Lego fans know better but we are not the target audience. 
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 828
    edited July 11
    I may be mistaken, but bricks don't seem to fly very far, which may mean the connection between them was made weak.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,680
    I thought the opposite. There are a lot of single pieces come out which suggests that there were loose ones inside ready to make a mess.

I've never dropped that set to see how far pieces fly when built properly, but  it is not that big a drop.
    edited July 11
    loose ones wouldn't fly very far as well I think.
    now, in lego destruction video, they usually drop them from higher. I picture them exploding all over the place. here, it just crumbles.
    well, that looks a bit different :

looks like the only part which actually flies far is the laser

holy.. the gunship on the following video is really solid
    CCC said:
    I've never dropped that set to see how far pieces fly when built properly, but  it is not that big a drop.
    It was all CGI.  The actor actually dropped a Pogo Ball.