Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

New Modular Creator Sets

JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 966
edited June 15 in Collecting
They've rather slipped under my radar, but what do people think of the new Creator 3-in-1 Modular Buildings, #31067 Modular Poolside Holiday, #31068 Modular Modern Home and #31069 Modular Family Villa? Are there any pictures online of them all together?

I wasn't able to find any discussions about them, after a quick, basic search of the forums.

I'm rather tempted to get all three, as they are pretty well priced at £19.99, £27.99 and £44.99, respectively.
snowhitie

Comments

• bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,430
    edited June 15
    Out of the 3 I like #31069 as a possible project for expansion although out of the smaller building sets in the 3 in 1 line, there is something about #31065 that really peaked my interest as a possible 3 - 4 set big build. 
  • BuoernyBuoerny Member Posts: 13
    The back wall appears to have been dropped from the Creator line.
  • NaptownMVPNaptownMVP Indianapolis Member Posts: 15
    Jang has a video with all three of them together.

stluxSwitchfoot55gmonkey76Mynattlentil
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 Washington, USAMember Posts: 419
    I struggle with the 3-in-1 Creator sets as I love them all for the most part. I just feel like by the time I buy all three, I'm a few bucks shy of one of the Creator Expert modulars with so much more detail. I pretty much only get the smaller ones if I find a deal. 
    mustang69catwranglerIceCreamClone77ncaachampslegomental
  • Boardshorts85Boardshorts85 ChicagoMember Posts: 39
    To me, this seems like some unholy hybrid between the Creator series and something like the "easy to build" Juniors stuff.  The Creator 3-in-1s already have a great product with builds like the Corner Deli or the Park Side Townhouse.  I don't quite understand the need to be able to pop walls in and out and swap stuff around - why wouldn't you just take the model apart and build your own thing?

Seems like a little too much spoon-fed creativity.  Though I suppose the ability to combine multiple sets, like we saw with the LBM series, is an interesting element.
    legomental
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 7,998
    edited June 15
    I like them, but at a price that is 30% off of RRP (which is one thing I like, that these are discounted often unlike their bigger counterparts). The issue I have is set like the townhouse is really more of a building facade, and not really a house. Yeah I know that Classic LEGO sets were like that too, but for the money I would like a bit bigger of a building.
    77ncaachamps
  • PmhPmh netherlandsMember Posts: 104
    these sets are very bad unfortunately. The sets even look worse then the sets of 2-3 years ago. Specialy the "villa" is disapointing,looks so small,details to much out of scale,just ugly. Or that bay window house,where the bay window is as thick as the rest of the house. Really very bad this year. LEGO did make much better looking small houses years ago already (like appletree house).
    even now LEGO still make Nice small house,the log cabins all look good and Well designed. they have to do better with the creator town houses imo.
    legomentalRoobot
  • lentillentil WisconsinMember Posts: 43
    I'm generally a big fan of Creator houses, but these three don't appeal to me visually very much. They are chunky and awkward looking in terms of design, and the color scheme is a bit boring. I guess they were going for a retro "Classic" LEGO feel with the blockiness and primary colors, but it ends up looking boring compared to the more sophisticated design and color schemes that our modern LEGO sensibilities have become used to IMHO.

However, I do really like the "modular" idea in principle - seems like it would be fun, especially for kids, to recombine the modules in various combinations. You can have a different house every time you play. When my daughter was a toddler we had a Duplo set that worked kind of like this - she absolutely *loved* it. Of course for some adults, it might seem easier just to part out the bricks and do a MOC if you want to combine sets, but for kids (and perhaps many adults), the fact that you can create many combinations so quickly will be very appealing. So I do like how all three sets work well together and can be intermingled.

So still on the fence on these. I was originally planning on picking them up at some point IF they get heavily discounted, but now with all the other awesome giant sets that are being announced (Ninjago movie/Carousel/Fishing Store... not to mention all the City and Elves sets we want...), these may get pushed off my list.
    legomental
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 966
    I've been looking at pics of these again and mulling it over and I think I agree with the general consensus that they're a bit of a mess. Similarly, I might pick them up at a good discount for parts etc.
    legomental
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 71
    To me, this seems like some unholy hybrid between the Creator series and something like the "easy to build" Juniors stuff.  
    Absolutely nailed it and brilliantly put. I have all three and I was very excited at a possible 9 houses to add to Brickadelphia.  

So, my thoughts on them now that I've built a couple of them: I like the concept behind the skeletal core that you use as a starting point.  However, the pop-in wall and window sections tend to like to pop out just as easily.  I've replaced mine with standard plates so they are in permanently. As for the open back, that's been a hallmark of LEGO sets forever to make playability easier, and I don't necessarily mind it as long as the open back is placed up against the back of another set so it doesn't look as ridiculous. To be totally fair, there are a LOT of sets with open backs that don't seem to be complained about: every fire and police station, #70912, literally all of the Friends buildings, and I could go on. So that doesn't phase me.

One of the biggest criticisms about the CITY line is the lack of buildings that aren't police stations, fire stations, etc. Even when there are buildings that you'd find in a normal city, they tend to be part of some sort of action scene: #60008, #60140, etc. There's literally nowhere for your good citizen mini figures to live. So if you're looking for buildings to flesh out a city, these sets do provide a really good starting point.  For double VIP points or a good discount, I wouldn't simply write them off. 
    catwrangler
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 828
    Looks to me like they were designed for kids to play with, rather than being primarily static models designed for AFOLs to build once and Kragle together as a display. As MrJackson noted above, sections pop in and out easily - perfect for kids when their minifigures want to go indoors.
    flord
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 839
    edited June 24
    ya, I don't know what Lego was thinking...these look too much like a toy! :)
    madforLEGOgmonkey76SumoLego
    edited June 24
    MrJackson said:
    To me, this seems like some unholy hybrid between the Creator series and something like the "easy to build" Juniors stuff.  
    Absolutely nailed it and brilliantly put. I have all three and I was very excited at a possible 9 houses to add to Brickadelphia.  

So, my thoughts on them now that I've built a couple of them: I like the concept behind the skeletal core that you use as a starting point.  However, the pop-in wall and window sections tend to like to pop out just as easily.  I've replaced mine with standard plates so they are in permanently. As for the open back, that's been a hallmark of LEGO sets forever to make playability easier, and I don't necessarily mind it as long as the open back is placed up against the back of another set so it doesn't look as ridiculous. To be totally fair, there are a LOT of sets with open backs that don't seem to be complained about: every fire and police station, #70912, literally all of the Friends buildings, and I could go on. So that doesn't phase me.

One of the biggest criticisms about the CITY line is the lack of buildings that aren't police stations, fire stations, etc. Even when there are buildings that you'd find in a normal city, they tend to be part of some sort of action scene: #60008, #60140, etc. There's literally nowhere for your good citizen mini figures to live. So if you're looking for buildings to flesh out a city, these sets do provide a really good starting point.  For double VIP points or a good discount, I wouldn't simply write them off. 
    Well, there is #60097. They also have the new Bus stop and last I checked nothing nefarious was going there, or at the gas station, fun at the park, or fun at the beach either either.. So there are city sets that do have common city principles.
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 373
    Anyone notice that on the main image of #31069 the fireplace is on the right but the chimney is on the left?  Or am I missing something?
    Anyone notice that on the main image of #31069 the fireplace is on the right but the chimney is on the left?  Or am I missing something?
    Wow. I wonder if the top was mistakenly flipped around from where it was supposed to be in the picture
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 1,793
    edited June 25
    In the Lego club magazine they had a whole village made from these 'modular' builings.

I am like above posters usually a big fan of the 3 in 1 things and I think its a good idea kids can mix and match with these, am I going to buy them myself? Mhm, maybe at a discount.

Important question for completionists: do they count as a 'modular' seeing as it's in their name ;)
    stluxsid3windrcatwranglerlentil
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 637
    ^ Personally, the lack of technic pins leads me to say no (unlike Ninjago City).
    SumoLegogmonkey76
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 770
    ^^ We could classify them as Modular Juniors. With no baseplate or Technic pins then no they are not Modulars.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,523
    Wow. I wonder if the top was mistakenly flipped around from where it was supposed to be in the picture
    I notice the chimney's also in illogical places in a lot of the other pics showing different layouts for that set. Either they were thinking of it purely as a decorative feature rather than considering how these things practically work, or they assumed kids wouldn't be bothered about things like that.