Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Summer 2017 City sets limited availability in USA

luaptsluapts United StatesMember Posts: 3
I've noticed something unusual about the roll out of some of the 2017 summer wave of City sets, and I'm wondering if anyone can explain why? Eighteen days after their official release, it seems that the full City line is only available at Toys R Us, LEGO Stores and shop@home. Except for the jungle sets showing up at Target's stores and website, at the moment City sets from this summer wave can't be found at Target, Amazon or Walmart.

Is it common for LEGO to withhold entire subthemes from certain retailers? Bus Station, Cargo Terminal, minifigure beach accessory set and the entire coast guard subtheme are hard to come by so far!

Comments

• YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,231
    What's common is that some stores put sets out on shelves before their official release date. 

In my area, Walmart is known for putting CMFs 1-2 weeks before they're technically supposed to and TRU constantly puts out sets before their sell date. It's not necessarily that other retailers don't have the sets; it's that others ignore the message on the box that says "DON'T PUT OUT UNTIL [DATE]."
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 3,921
    Target probably just hasn't done their full toy area reset yet. They have more to do than just Lego and at least when I worked there 5-6 years ago it would be around July 1 when Toys got a new plan-o-gram and summer Lego sets were all put out.
  • luaptsluapts United StatesMember Posts: 3
    I should add that the 2017 summer wave sets from Star Wars, LEGO Batman Movie and Juniors that were released June 1 can all be found at Amazon, Target and Walmart, but the summer City sets are still not available at those retailers in the USA (as of June 19, 2017). Strange!
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Greensboro, NCMember Posts: 336
    ^Gotta say I've noticed this as well. It seems odd. Only TRU had Bus Station, Cargo Terminal, etc.
  • OnebricktoomanyOnebricktoomany United StatesMember Posts: 145

You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind... a journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination—your next stop, the Twilight Zone!

—Rod Serling
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 394
    Same thing here in Wisconsin. I've only seen new City sets at TRU. 

I've noticed that Target will not put out new sets until they reset their planogram, which is weird since you would think they would want to fill in all the holes on their shelves. They've been doing it that way (at least at the stores I frequent) for as long as I can remember.

Walmart generally is more flexible when it comes to putting out new stuff to fill holes, so I'm guessing that they haven't received it yet. However, there is only one Walmart near me that I go to (the others near me are too far away and too inconsistent to bother with). The toy department people SEEM like they know what they are doing, but I've never really talked to them so I'm not 100% sure they do.

I've long thought that TRU and LEGO have some type of deal going on where TRU gets the new stuff WAY before everyone else. I can very consistently find new sets weeks before release dates every new wave every year, and I know that Walmart would definitely put out new stuff as soon as they get it. 

Just my $0.02.
  • paulmisonpaulmison Member Posts: 31
    The new Creator sets also seem to have been slow to roll out. Target in SF has #31066 Shuttle finally but at $40, 25% over list price, and last I checked Amazon didn't have it, for example.
  • ThoughtsonblocksThoughtsonblocks United StatesMember Posts: 166
    I have noticed a pretty dramatic reduction in clearance deals with Lego over the last few years.  Used to be right before every new wave, retailers like Target, Walmart, Barnes and Noble etc would blow out the previous stuff for often 50% off.  Now, you still get decent deals some of the time, especially at Walmart, but much lower volume and they seem more content to let inventory attrition more naturally and there doesnt seem to be the sense of urgency to get the new stuff out.  Some of this seems to be retailers being more likely to send old product to reclamation companies instead of selling for outrageously low prices.  But I think there has also been an increase in speculators and resellers grabbing stuff up right as its going out, knowing they will get moderately better pricing and can turn around in 6 months to a year and sell it as a discontinued product for a modest mark up.  I wonder if Lego has changed any of their 3rd party retailer relationship policies to impact this somehow?  
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 1,786
    I've been going to Walmart less and less for LEGO and seeking out Target more.  My local Target seems to be hit or miss, with some things they get it out right away and other times its a big delay.  Although, of late, I have noticed whenever there is "empty" shelf space they tend to backfill with a set or two.  Thus, perhaps sometimes not everything is put out together.
  • tomahawkertomahawker Member Posts: 98
    Has any seen #60153 Fun at the Beach anywhere except Lego Brand stores?  My TRU has all the new CITY sets except for this set.  Haven't seen it anywhere else either.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 833
    I remember seeing #60153 in a brick-and-mortar store last week, think it was Toys R US in Milford, CT. It is listed for sale on TRU website

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=122872596&prodFindSrc=search&cp=#findItInStore

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 7,752
    Target probably just hasn't done their full toy area reset yet. They have more to do than just Lego and at least when I worked there 5-6 years ago it would be around July 1 when Toys got a new plan-o-gram and summer Lego sets were all put out.
    Yupper.  The reset is in early July and none of the new sets are put out until the magic plan-o-gram says so.
  • norm103norm103 Member Posts: 212
    Some new summer sets are setting on end caps this week at target befor the whole dept. reset. 
  • luaptsluapts United StatesMember Posts: 3
    norm103 said:
    Some new summer sets are setting on end caps this week at target befor the whole dept. reset. 
    You're right, I saw this very thing at my Target tonight, at least the coast guard sets and one new Friends set. They have also listed four of the coast guard sets online, but not the other summer City sets. 
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 839
    edited June 21
    I'm sure they will all be out soon....and then soon after, they will all get the standard 20% off adjustment on the LF tax.