Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Lowest price you would pay for brand new Lego Mindstorms EV3 31313

jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 331
Hi all, I have someone offering to sell me a new Lego Mindstorms EV3 (31313) for $150.  I think it is a great deal, but was hoping someone would confirm.  I hesitate only because I thought maybe these were on sale at Target a while back for cheaper, not that I would find them at that price.  Also, I would welcome any general feedback regarding this set (likes, dislikes, pros, cons, etc).   Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,231
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,160
    Fantastic deal which would make me a bit suspicious. Hope you know the seller really well.
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 331
    Its an offer from a coworker whose daughter might not be as into it as he had thought.  My wife just said she was interested in it so we might be a go!
    madforLEGORonyar
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,231
    I bought a used one for $150. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one for that price.
    So the story has changed.  My coworker (and possibly I) was mistaken when referring to the set.  It's actually LEGO Mindstorms NXT 2.0 (8547).  Would you still pay $150 for this?  I am not too familiar with the Mindstorms series so I don't know if I'd be throwing my money away buying outdated technology.  At the same time, we do not have smartphones (but we do have Kindle Fires), but perhaps simpler is better for my almost 4 year old (who may not get this until he's 5?)...please weigh in!  I appreciate the feedback.
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,396
    jmeninno said:
    So the story has changed.  My coworker (and possibly I) was mistaken when referring to the set.  It's actually LEGO Mindstorms NXT 2.0 (8547).  Would you still pay $150 for this?  I am not too familiar with the Mindstorms series so I don't know if I'd be throwing my money away buying outdated technology.  At the same time, we do not have smartphones (but we do have Kindle Fires), but perhaps simpler is better for my almost 4 year old (who may not get this until he's 5?)...please weigh in!  I appreciate the feedback.
    If it's new, go for it.
  • RonyarRonyar Member Posts: 333
    I just picked up a used EV3 with an extra book for $125.  I was ecstatic at that price.  New would have been awesome at 150.  Not sure about the NXT 2.0 with an almost 5 year old...  We waited until my daughter was 8 to pick this up, after she had done some basic programming work online to make sure she liked it.
    Thanks all.  My oldest likes looking at these kinds of things in the store, even though I'm well aware he won't be able to do "Hello World" anytime soon.  I can always store it in my closet for a few years if I had to.  Just trying to get some feedback from those more experienced than I with this realm of Lego.  Again, I really appreciate the comments thus far!
  • beemobeemo Norf LandanMember Posts: 1
    edited June 20

Hi jmeninno, the software for the EV3 is backwards compatible with the NXT P-brick and its sensors/ motors (except bluetooth) so that's not really an issue.

However, I personally wouldn't make that purchase:5 years is way young to start playing with it and by te time she is ready for it the NXT will be obsolete already, tech wise but also from a purely consmetic perspective (all grey, and quite serious looking for a toy ).

Don't get me wrong, it's a good set and if you had a teenager with an interest in robotics then it would be a great fit, but as it is, I would use your $150 to get your boy something he can enjoy now. 

A system brick in hand is better than a p-brick in the cupboard!

• datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 917
    I paid $100 for my #8547 set at a thrift shop. Grandson is not ready for building with it yet, so I built the first model in the manual and he has fun driving the vehicle around using a the phone app that connects to the NXT controller via Bluetooth - great for knocking over blocks and terrorizing the cat.
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 861
    My kids "bought" this when they were 10.  They played with it for about 2 days, then that was it, not sure exactly what happened to it after that...but i think it is boxed up.   They liked building it, but not any of the programming to make it do stuff.  I think even 10 was young for some of the programming stuff, especially if you didn't have a strong interest in robotics.  Looking back, it wasn't money well spent for us.
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 687
    I think a lot of it depends on level of involvement.  My youngest is 10 and has been building & programming LEGO stuff as part of his School robotics club for the last 3 years.  Strangely enough, we don't have ANY robotics stuff at home and he hasn't expressed any real desire to.  When given the option a few times as far as large scale birthday and Christmas gifts go he's purposefully foregone Robotics in favour of UCS, Trains or big PF technics.I sometimes wonder if this is for my benefit as Robotics is something that him and his mates do together whereas "building" is what we do together.   I use the inverted commas as our definition of building is him doing it while I (as he calls me - his 'Brick Monkey') find parts and try to use technic functions to increase his mechanical engineering knowledge.
    stluxsteinbrique
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 864
    Maybe the up and coming Lego Boost set would be fun? Less advanced than Mindstorms, but probably a bit more fun for younger kids? (No experience with Mindstorms unfortunately)
    catwranglerToc13
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the WestMember Posts: 1,949
    I run a casual Mindstorms club at my school with a group of 20 kids rotating every 5 weeks. It's more for the experience of building and intro'ing them into robotics. We don't have the time to program a lot. 

Having seen about 160 kids, only 2-3 actually went out to buy the set.

So it doesn't surprise me that kids don't pick it up after they have the initial experience with Mindstorms. However, if they watch Mindstorms videos on YouTube, those are more than sufficient motivators to get them to build with the system.

Back to the OP: $150 maybe a decent deal especially if it's in great condition. If you want to build with your child or by yourself, then great. But it is not friendly for a 4-5 y.o. A bucket of bricks is friendlier.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,566
    Seconding the suggestion of waiting for Boost - it's actually aimed at younger kids, and there's some info and a video here: https://brickset.com/article/25817/lego-boost-robotics-for-a-younger-audience