Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Why is model 10210 so expensive?

GachanGachan Member Posts: 4
Hello folks!
I've been amassing quite the collection of LEGOs for a few years now, and I'm used to seeing high and low prices for different models, usually following the same trend: models sporting awesomeness and vintageness fetch very high prices, I get that. But that ship, super awesome that it is, is really not ancient by any means. So why are the sets I can find always between 400 to 700$/€, when the Sea Barracuda, having more or less half as many parts and being super awesome itself, is easily found at around 100 bucks under the same conditions? (I don't care about boxes and booklets.)
What am I missing here? Should I wait and hope for a cheaper bargain, or is that set super rare or something?
Thank you all in advance for any answer or pointer :)
Cheers!

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,101
    Supply vs demand.

It is the best ship that lego have done. People want it and are willing to pay for it.
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRAmadforLEGO
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 687
    As CCC said - supply vs demand.  The IF was a VERY short lived set.  For example, here in Australia the IF was released at the same time as Tower Bridge!  One is still available today, the other was available for less than 90 days before all stocks were exhausted.  As far as recommendations go, unless you're willing to roll the dice and hope you'll snag a bargain from some unsuspecting seller - I would be picking it up sooner rather than later as it will only to continue to appreciate in value.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,101
    edited June 28
    I think it was available for the best part of two years in the UK during 2010-11. It went out of stock during that time, of course, but came back again.

Tower Bridge on the other hand, who knows what is behind the lifetime of that one.

But same thing, if you see one, then get it, as it won't go down in price.
    it's also an expensive set to bricklink/piece together with numerous rare/expensive parts.  The reddish brown columns that make up the masts (6 in the set) are worth over 30 USD EACH!
  • GachanGachan Member Posts: 4
    Oh my, all of that makes terrifying sense… Well I can always go for a set and resell it someday should I really need the money back :) Collecting is crazy… I'm crazy…
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRAsid3windr
    You're thinking along the right lines there.  It's definitely one of the sets that you can safely add to your collection in the knowledge that you can resell at a later date and recoup your investment assuming it isn't rereleased or superseded (which is a risk involved in any collecting), though I feel somewhat unlikely.
      Don't feel bad - there's a lot of people round here that spend as much or more on considerably less impressive sets than the Imperial Frigate!  It's also a very open minded community that, should you need it, will give advice where required and make few judgements about the amount of cash you drop on little plastic bricks! 

Finally, welcome aboard!  When you do manage to snag one, post a pic in the 'What are you building right now' thread.  I guarantee multiple likes and quite a bit of envy!  It's a truly magnificent set.
    sid3windrprevere
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 501
    I managed to get the Imperial Flagship set in the Black Friday sale in 2011 just before it went EOL.  I can't remember if it was 50% off or a little less, but it was an amazing deal.  I kick myself for not getting more than 1.  It truly is the best ship Lego has ever made by a long ways.  Good luck with your efforts in acquiring it, I'm sure it occasionally ends up on Ebay for a deal.
  • dutchlegofan50dutchlegofan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 138
    I bricklinked it a couple of years ago for around € 250 iirc. If you change the color of the masts you'll save a lot of money. 
    Sorry for the bad pic, it's raining cats and dogs here. 
    sid3windrSprinkleOtter
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,044
    edited June 28
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but it seems it's already headed in this general direction...
    I have a used one that I'm actually looking to sell. It should be 100% complete with instructions. I'd undercut eBay/BL prices because I wouldn't have to pay exorbitant fees.

If you're interested, shoot me a PM!
    FollowsCloselypiratemania7gmonkey76Bosstone100SumoLego
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,797
    It's really a UCS level type set. And appropriately goes for that type of money. BP and QAR are headed that direction in terms of cost as well.
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719

I had four of these at one time, all sold for about $350 or less. I definitely should have waited! It's crazy how much these have appreciated.

There's always the non-Lego version available for less than $70, but some people might frown upon that...

• FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 1,774
    best ship can be debatted in a month, when the destiny bounty is released. of course it's a different style, so not sure it affects the price of imperial flagship.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,157
    Like @ccc said, supply and demand. People often forget this set was not made long (BSB had two incarnations), was an immaculate example of a ship (especially compared to the BSB) and it is a set that has been out of production for many years.
    But if you look at a sealed in box set like Skull Eyed Schooner (from the same time as the BSB) that is no lightweight either in terms of price(and was out around the same time as the BSB)