Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Has anyone tried the eBay price matching program?

77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the WestMember Posts: 1,796
I would like to know the pros and cons, if you have.

Thank you!

Here's the C/P'd info:

Price Match Guarantee

Did you find an eBay Deal at a better price somewhere else? It happens. Luckily, we’ll gladly match the competition. That happens, too.

What qualifies for a price match?

Check mark

Brand New

Only new, unopened items on the eBay Deals page are eligible. And since over 90% of eBay Deals are new, that’s a lot of eligible items.

Check mark

Found at Competitors

To be eligible, the item should be available on Amazon.com, BestBuy.com, Walmart.com, HomeDepot.com, Target.com, Sears.com, Wayfair.com, or Jet.com.

Check mark

Identical and Available

Both items (eBay’s and the competitor’s) should be exactly the same and currently in stock.

Comments

• akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 936

I wonder how this works from the seller's side. Like if I buy a new condition item from an eBay seller, then I find that it is available at one of the listed competitor sites for cheaper, contact customer service to get a price match, will the seller be forced to return some of their profit to eBay? That would work for me as a buyer, but would really suck for the seller. Or does eBay just eat the loss themselves?

While I like price-matching, I really don't want to discourage small eBay sellers even further. Very high eBay fees and big store outlets pretty much killed the majority of small eBay stores already.  

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 7,879
    edited July 9
    Well wait. According to the FAQ, this is just for 'eBay deals' stuff; not just any seller's items on eBay (unless Im reading it wrong). Also, eBay points out above, they will cover the difference on "eBay's item", not sure if the seller has lose money here, with a coupon (in the T&C).
    I guess we will know if the T&C of being an eBay seller mentions this and what exactly in encompasses.
    Jackad7
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 802
    Price matching just empowers the bigger stores even more.   Smaller sellers rely on value added as a selling point, & the internet has done a wonderful job of adding value for the customers without having to pay for any of that added value.

On the other note, as a long time seller, fees I can deal with.  What has killed me is shipping costs.   Impossible to absorb all or even a portion of and still compete with any hope of profit to invest or make worthwhile.
    LuLegoSprinkleOtter
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 936
    ryjay said:
    Price matching just empowers the bigger stores even more.   Smaller sellers rely on value added as a selling point, & the internet has done a wonderful job of adding value for the customers without having to pay for any of that added value.

On the other note, as a long time seller, fees I can deal with.  What has killed me is shipping costs.   Impossible to absorb all or even a portion of and still compete with any hope of profit to invest or make worthwhile.

Yeah, exactly! Even if small sellers can price-match big stores as far as the item price, they don't get the kind of shipping breaks big stores do. Really sad. In most categories all I see now is big store outlets and Chinese knockoffs...
    Jackad7