Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Frodo Prototype + Letter - What Value?

FrodoguyFrodoguy germanyMember Posts: 3

Hello there,

please don't kill me if this is posted in the wrong section :)

I wanted to ask you guys what you think about this:

Its a Lego Minifigure accompanied by a letter from New Line Cinema, addressed to Elijah Wood (who played frodo)

About me- im a movie prop collector since 15 years and years ago i came across a box full of belongings from Elijah Wood , which came from his manager. i bought the box from my source as a lot of items were lord of the rings and hobbit related (such as call sheets, production memos etc.) and although i enjoyed the figure i really would like to sell it as i want to focus on props from other movies.

i was for a short time into rare legos and i know some are quite valuable (c3po chrome, mr. gold, han solo/indiana jones diorama, darth vader from toy fair etc.)

So i wanted to ask you where the right place would be to sell this (besides ebay) and what value do you think has it. I would be very thankful if somebody can point me straight to collector/shop

p.s. i have blacked out some sensitive informations like elijahs address , for privacy reasons, aswell as for prtoecting the letter against copies

thank you

Mynattsnowhitie

Comments

• iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 1,733
    Hi,

I'm no expert on movie memorobilia, but the problem you may find with valuing this minifig is that it isn't rare in any way at all. The figure alone can be had for a couple of dollars and the #30210 polybag is equally cheap and widely available. I'd guess for a Lego collector it doesn't hold any interest as a unique figure.

What isn't clear is in the letter it asks for the "prototype" to be returned, and yet the figure has not been returned. The figure in the picture doesn't look to have anything to set this "prototype" apart from the generally released figure. If it had a unique print to make it special I think it would certainly appeal to Lego collectors. There is nothing to suggest it is part of a limited pre-production run.

As it appears, it's just a standard minifig that Elijah Wood once owned, and I can't see many AFOLS wanting to splash out any extra cash on a minifig for having a hollywood actor once touch it.

I think your best bet would be to sell within your own world of movie memorobilia collecting - which you will know a lot more than I. Whilst you have an original provenance letter, there isn't much to prove that this is the original prototype supplied either.

Disclaimer: I am no expert - just my thoughts as a Lego collector. I hope that helps :-)
    BumblepantsMAGNINOMINISUMBRAMynattgmonkey76IceCreamClonesnowhitiesid3windr
  • FrodoguyFrodoguy germanyMember Posts: 3
    thank you for your kind answer

it seems elijah is a kinda messy person... i also ave similar letters from other companies and (at least the documents i have) were never signed/ prototype returned

Yes, its reasonable that such a person might not always be around to answer mails etc.

At a guess being away filming for many weeks at a time could mean he missed the return deadline, or perhaps it wasn't near the top of an important "to do list".

Regardless, without the figure being unique, the only thing interesting is the letter - and as you point out, it doesn't have the actor's signature.

Maybe another Bricksetter might offer an alternate view, but I still think this is of more interest to movie memorabilia buffs than AFOLs.
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,395
    Capital one? seems off to sell that letter...
    ^I'd assumed only the New Line Cinema letter accompanied the figure. Selling the details of someone's financial transactions would be a little odd.
  • FrodoguyFrodoguy germanyMember Posts: 3
    no just the letter of course..
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,680
    I doubt it is worth very much. The figure is a few dollars, the letter isn't really very interesting. It is to him not from him, so could have just been opened by a PA and dumped in a box.
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 791
    Yeah, I'd have to agree @iso3200.  It's not terribly interesting as a LEGO collector, except insofar as it's informative about how LEGO handles these types of things.  In that respect, it might actually be more valuable to a LEGO collector if the letter were from LEGO itself rather than New Line.  We don't usually care all that much about Elijah Wood or New Line Cinema-- we care about official things from LEGO!

I'd think you'd want to sell it in a general Hollywood collector market, where people are more interested in items owned by actors.

DaveE
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 1,607
    Posting to this forum feels like going the wrong way round - I like interesting Lego and if there's a celebrity connection it's nice but not essential. The item here is more like interesting celebrity memorabilia (in that I don't know of many celebrities with a personal Lego connection) but with a rather normal Lego artifact. Now if the Celebrity memorabilia market are saying it's not really their scene, but perhaps the Lego collectors like it, then you may have a problem...
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 668
    What's an Elijah Wood? Is it a new Lego set?
    SumoLego
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 637
    I bet you'll never find any Chris Pratt mini figures left lying around like that...
    TheFew said:
    He is an actor. One that played a fairly important role in LOTR.
    TheFew
    CCC said:
    TheFew said:
    Not a golf club then?
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMaffyDgmonkey76chuckpcatwrangler
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 637
    TheFew said:
    CCC said:
    TheFew said:
    Not a golf club then?
    No Silly, you're thinking of a Norwegian Wood!
    TheFew said:
    CCC said:
    TheFew said:
    Not a golf club then?
    Now i thought that was a mucky movie!
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 298
    The bottom photo with someone else's private paperwork displayed (albeit with blackened out bits) makes me uncomfortable. I guess it might be memorabilia but to me it seems like someone's private financial documents, a voting envelope and some random paperwork that was probably in a shredding pile now displayed on the internet. Did it have relevance to your question?
    Shibcatwrangler
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,685
    This thread reminds me of the Nigel and Mrs Thornhill missions in GTA V :D
    MasterBeefy
    So what is a Minnie Driver?
    Pitfall69gmonkey76catwranglerYodaliciouschuckpSumoLego77ncaachamps
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,170
    TheFew said:
    TheFew said:
    CCC said:
    TheFew said:
    Not a golf club then?
    Now i thought that was a mucky movie!
    The book was better!
    TheFew
  • Th1nDieselTh1nDiesel UKMember Posts: 115
    CCC said:
    So what is a Minnie Driver?
    A club for dwarves?
    gmonkey76SprinkleOtter77ncaachamps
    Or maybe a dwarven (or hobbit) chauffeur.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 7,730
    Pitfall69 said:
    Nice to know this thread is on par with just about every other thread in this forum ;)
    It did turn into a 'Red 5, standing by'.
    sid3windrgmonkey76
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 392
    Hold up a second. Are we absolutely sure that Frodo mini-figure is exactly the same as the one commonly produced and seen in the "Gandalf Arrives" set? Something about the hair piece looks different from the actual, released one. It seems shinier and less "poofy" than the one in the released set. I don't have my "Gandalf Arrives" set with me to do the comparison, but could someone compare the hair piece with the one in @Frodoguy 's picture? I contend that at the very least, the hair piece is a prototype heretofore unseen, and therefore force a re-evaluation of the value of this piece!
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,089
    Prototype Frodo had the Harry Potter hair in dark brown so I don't think.. there's much value 
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 791
    Are we absolutely sure that Frodo mini-figure is exactly the same as the one commonly produced and seen in the "Gandalf Arrives" set? Something about the hair piece looks different from the actual, released one. It seems shinier and less "poofy" than the one in the released set.

I dunno, it looks pretty damn close.  It's hard to tell, because the hair in the picture appears to be angled slightly to the side, and there's a shadow behind it.  But it's very difficult to tell without seeing a side-by-side comparison in the same light conditions.

Regardless, I don't think it amps the price up that much.  My impression is that the seller's hoping to get at least $50 due to it being owned by Elijah Wood, and maybe in other circles, it might sell for something meaningful like that.  But even if it were a prototype piece in (say) a different ABS mixture, or with a slightly different test mold, I can't imagine that it'd really boost the price up really high.  $10 maybe?  Even $20 seems too high to me (though admittedly I don't know the markets that well).

I'd still guess that it's worth more in the Hollywood memorabilia market than the LEGO one.

DaveE
    CCC
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 392
    Thanks for the picture! Hmm, the final hair piece doesn't look as "poofed" as I recalled, so now I'm trying to scrutinize the hair piece in the OP's photo even more. It looks like it has a pronounced shadow due to the flash aimed directly down onto the figure, and therefore makes the hair piece look a little bigger than it actually is. It doesn't help that the piece is already a dark brown color.

Anyway, I am also no expert on the prototype part market, either, but I agree even with the hair piece being different, it couldn't raise the value of the entire figure all that high. Then again, it could still be worth more than what early replies seemed to indicate (i.e. it's the same standard Frodo mini-figure that was widely available). Just trying to help the guy out, although he seems to have fled (as so many other "first time posters") the forums.
    edited July 26
    He posted it on multiple forums, I recall seeing it on EB too. I guess he was looking for a sale.