Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Brick Link Selling

TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 545
Hi, As a long time Brick Link buyer I am thinking about having a go at selling to off load some items. Is there any advice here on the forums about selling on BL? I have had a look, but have failed to find anything and I know some of you "old timers" will recall threads with decent info. So thanks in advance. I am working on the assumption that BL is a less risky sales platform than eBay although revenues may be a bit lower and the time to shift stuff may be a bit higher. thanks

Comments

• SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,377
    ^ Revenues are higher with BL than Ebay.
    TheFewBumblepants
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,345
    Be honest about condition.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 936
    edited July 14

I sell both on eBay and BrickLink. BrickLink is easier for uploading your stock because you don't have to take pictures and write a description for every single set/item. You can also open/close your store and manage your inventory much easier.

The revenue is higher on BrickLink because their fees are much less (3% instead of 10% on eBay). However stock moves slower on BrickLink than on eBay. Prices on most used/new sets are about the same, although for more expensive sets it's worth to compare before deciding which route to go. In my experience, full sets (new or used) sell better (faster and for more money) on eBay, and parts sell better on BrickLink. 

I would suggest that you upload your stock to BrickLink or eBay now, when sales are very slow (the summer is always slow on both BrickLink and eBay), and be ready for the Christmas shopping season. That's when stuff really moves.

As far as risk, I never had any issues with scammers on either site, but I do get a bit nervous with more expensive sets. One thing I do with expensive sets is that I open them and take inside pictures, showing the content. The difference between a brand new sealed set, and a set with opened tabs is minimal, especially if you word your listing right. (Do confirm this before opening the tabs by comparing to similar listings. Based on the age and rarity of the set, opened vs. closed could make a difference, but in my experience for recent common sets it doesn't.) I write something like, "Set brand new, seals opened to confirm all content is there". Buyers appreciate to see the inside (they are just as afraid of scams), and this way it would be very hard for a scammer to claim that I sent them a box of garbage or something.

Having a long history of buying and selling on both sites with 100% positive feedback also helps. I did have one instance when a buyer tried to reverse a payment claiming that they never received the item. PayPal had the tracking info, which showed the package as delivered several days prior. I also did some investigation on my own, and the buyer tragically passed away shortly after the purchase. It was her relatives who were disputing the charge. The dispute was quickly resolved by PayPal, and I won the case.

If you have any other questions about selling on BrickLink, the BrickLink Forum is an excellent resource, so don't be shy to ask. :)

RSHURenegade007cjhDeeC2_Josh
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 936
    edited July 14
    One more thing I would like to add (and I can't edit my previous post any more), is that for expensive sets that are out of your comfort zone to cover if anything goes wrong, buy insurance. It's an inexpensive way to cover yourself in case of unforeseen circumstances. I do it for all orders over $100. Sometimes the buyer requests and pay for this anyway, but if they don't, I just pay for it out of my own pocket without nickeling and diming the buyer. It's for my own peace of mind, as well as the buyer's. On expensive eBay listings I state that tracking and insurance will be included, which also work as a deterrent for scammers.  
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 545
    Thanks for the info. I will set up a BL store and will mostly just sell new parts from excess sets and also spare used minifigures.

To keep things simple i will stick to selling just within the uk for now until I get a grip on things.

With regards to pricing i have opted for the current Bricklink average for stuff currently being offered as my price point. Hopefully this will get me some sales if i have the quantities that people need. 

My first stock load will hopefully be around the 7000 part region, which may be enough to get an order or two.

I am not sure i will bother listing my 50kg of used Lego as that may be a bit too much of a drain on my time :-)

Hopefully store opened by the end of the week!
  • kbenjeskbenjes Member Posts: 56
    It's probably different in Europe, but as an American I try to price my items in line with others in the USA. I don't do international orders out of laziness. I've noticed that many items are available for pretty good prices from CZ and DE, but a fair bit more in USA. 

If you're going the UK only route, you may want to keep that in mind.
    kbenjes said:
    It's probably different in Europe, but as an American I try to price my items in line with others in the USA. I don't do international orders out of laziness. I've noticed that many items are available for pretty good prices from CZ and DE, but a fair bit more in USA. 

If you're going the UK only route, you may want to keep that in mind.
    @kbenjes thanks for the tip. Is there an automatic function to set prices just relative to the UK or is it a manual job?
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 641

@TheFew - The only standard options are below, unless anyone knows different:

(I will enter my own prices)
    Last 6 Months Sales Average
    Last 6 months Sales Average By Qty
    Current Items For Sale Average
    Current Items For Sale Average By Qty
    My Inventory Average
    My Inventory Average By Qty

• M_BossM_Boss TexasMember Posts: 6
    Lobot said:

@TheFew - The only standard options are below, unless anyone knows different:

(I will enter my own prices)
    Last 6 Months Sales Average
    Last 6 months Sales Average By Qty
    Current Items For Sale Average
    Current Items For Sale Average By Qty
    My Inventory Average
    My Inventory Average By Qty

You can also sort by the currency the item was sold in, by clicking the check box on the catalog page. This is how I determine my prices, by using the average sold for the US Dollar.
    Lobot
    @Lobot thanks for that, i used third option from that list, but was not aware of the currency option noted by @M_Boss. Hopefully this can be updated retrospectively.