Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Looking for advice on safely selling/trading early modulars

chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 661
edited July 15 in Buying & Selling Topics
When the modulars were first released I purchased extra Green Grocer, Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium sets with the vision of a large modular layout in mind. However with LEGO continuously extending the modular line and less space and time, it's time for me to thin the herd and move the extras on to new homes. My question is what is the best way to sell or trade expensive-ish sets without getting burned?

In the past I've attempted to sell them on Ebay, along with some of the more expensive Pirate ships like the Imperial Flagship, Black Pearl and Queen Anne's Revenge and they have all been fraud magnets of one kind or another. Every listing, every time was it's own little horror story.

With that in mind is there anything more experienced Ebay sellers do to prevent fraudulent purchases or does everyone just rely on PayPal's seller protection? Is there less risk of fraud selling here or Bricklink? Does anyone have thoughts or experience trading something on the scale of a Green Grocer? I'm trying evaluate all my options, so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 
MynattSumoLegoJackad7iamterrydrdavewatford

Comments

• piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 1,783
    I would definitely try to first sell here then on bricklink.  Your protection through PayPal along with where you are selling the items should be sufficient and allow you to avoid eBay all together.
    Bumblepantsdmcc0chuckpSumoLego
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,310
    Yeah, I agree on avoiding eBay. Any $100+ lego set I've sold on there has been a pain. Here or BL seem like safe options.

As far as protection:
    -Always ship with tracking and insurance
    -Pack well
    -Be super honest about box condition. People can be very picky about this.
    chuckpSumoLegoJackad7madforLEGO
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 7,730
    You could sell or trade them to someone with an excellent eBay, Bricklink and Brickset Forum reputation who doesn't live that far away and could pick it up locally.

If you were in the market for a GBHQ and a Porsche...
    SprinkleOttergmonkey76chuckp
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,847
    edited July 16
    I've been very successful with Craigslist transactions. If large amounts of cash concern you, you can transact via Paypal on the spot.
    chuckp
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 839
    edited July 16
    Look into getting space at  local toy show.   Usually the booth/table would not cost anymore then we "pay" for freight if we sold on ebay or elsewhere.  Also, buyers can touch and look so they know exactly what they are getting.   And if you have good people skills you'd be surprised at what you can move and for how much.

chuckp
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 7,998
    edited July 16
    For the Green Grocer, I would still do it via eBay. The fees hurt a bit, but IMO the protection is worth it, but I would also say to ensure you get pictures of the seals to show on the listing to show they are sealed, and do look good.
    Fraud magnets are also caused by lack of info about the sets and lack of good pictures IMO. I cannot believe the lack of description for many items on eBay. The seller is just asking for someone to try to defraud them, and as a buyer I am wary of anything that has a one line description, line "Green Grocer, mint in box' without explanations of how it will be shipped, shipping fees, if it is insured, or good descriptions of the item. Does it stop fraud? No, but I think more often than naught it deters those who want to commit it.

Craigslist? I would not, with that kind of money being asked it does not stop one from just strong-arming it from you and running. (unless you go to a neutral site like a police station). Plus good luck selling it quickly. I know of someone right now trying to sell a few mods in sealed box (including the pricey ones) on Craigslist for about 6 months now, and he is in a somewhat affluent area.  The other part to paying with paypal on the spot, is you do not know if they are using a stolen paypal account, yes that can also happen on eBay as well, but I think it is easier to detect as eBay and Paypal tend to watch out if an account gets jacked. And, if you get insurance, and the account is jacked and the item is gone then I think you could always recoup the cost (not certain on that)
    Brickset? I guess, but again large amounts of money can do strange things to people and if a deal goes sideways, well, then reputations can be damaged even if no one is at fault.

Finally eBay, while pricey, also gives you a large audience who are more likely to pay you what you are looking for, and you will likely sell it fairly quickly (well likely quicker than Brickset, Bricklink, Craigslist, etc). Now, while there is a large base of fans here, and bricklink, I still think that eBay is still the primary go to for the largest audience, where not everyone knows about bricklink, Brickset, etc. Plus they have seller protections as well.

For Grand Emporium and Fire Brigade? I think those are a low priced enough amount to sell pretty much anywhere, though IMO Craigslist and toy fairs is also reliant on how far one will go to pick up an item, how safe they feel, and how safe you feel. Also expect a a lot of haggling on Craiglist and toy fairs. People are not going to those sites/fairs to pay top dollar, and it is rare that someone will be carrying around 1K for a green Grocer for example, which means you better be able to take a credit card (or again use paypal on the spot, but you are relying on an account being jacked)
    chuckp
  • M_BossM_Boss Houston, TexasMember Posts: 59
    I would never accept PayPal payment for Craigslist because a buyer could claim the the item never arrived and you would have a hard time proving to PayPal that they actually got their item.
    chuckpJackad7
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,395
    M_Boss said:
    I would never accept PayPal payment for Craigslist because a buyer could claim the the item never arrived and you would have a hard time proving to PayPal that they actually got their item.
    ^ All false.
    pharmjodchuckp
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 1,783
    Cash is king right? However ultimately we all must accept that fraud is always possible. I would as many say above already have stated that you just need to take a ton of photos and a very large description.  If you mail send it the safest way possible: insurance, tracking, signature, etc.

I've sold a couple of larger sets and passed that cost onto the buyer and they have always been more than happy too.  I think that adds a level of respect in itself.
    madforLEGOchuckp
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,847
    M_Boss said:
    You missed the "on the spot" part of my suggestion.  Meet the buyer in a neutral, safe spot, show them your stuff, they agree to buy it, they send you money via Paypal "Friends" option, everybody leave happy. 
    chuckp
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,395
    SumoLego said:
    ^ And if you're really worried, have them sign a receipt, and take a photo of the transaction.  Or meet at an attorney's office and do the exchange - and get a notarized receipt.

Or just trade a Green Grocer to an attorney who happens to live not too far away from you and is willing to drive.  And has plenty of other great stuff to trade...
    @SumoLego's new username should be @bendybadgering.

JK. It's a great suggestion.
    chuckpSumoLegogmonkey76
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 7,998
    ecmo47 said:
    M_Boss said:
    You missed the "on the spot" part of my suggestion.  Meet the buyer in a neutral, safe spot, show them your stuff, they agree to buy it, they send you money via Paypal "Friends" option, everybody leave happy. 
    Unless of course it is a hacked account. Then I'm guessing you will not know until the item is long gone and then you are out of the money for the item and have no item. With Craigslist there really is not a ' grace period' between payment and receipt of the item. At least with a site like eBay, you can say that you will hold the item for X days to ensure payment is authorized.Is it fool proof? No, but it increases the odds that everyone will be happy and not scammed.
    chuckp