Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Selling MOCs for over $1000?

Does anyone have experience in selling a MOC for greater than $1000? If so, how did you do it? Is it even worth it? I'm considering selling a rather large MOC of mine but am not sure at all how to go about it? Any tips are welcome! 

Comments

• ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,901
    I dont think it would be any different from selling 1k of anything Lego. Take all the usual precautions of any large transaction. Not very helpful I know. Hopefully @samiam will chime in as he has moved some large MOC's.

But what is the MOC? Love to know!
  • magpie9magpie9 Member Posts: 11
    Have the buyer collect so you are not responsible for transportation accidents if you are selling it complete.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,075
    First step - find a potential buyer and convince them to buy.

bobabricksSprinkleOtterJackad7ryjayMattDawson
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,044
    ecmo47 said:
    I dont think it would be any different from selling 1k of anything Lego. Take all the usual precautions of any large transaction. Not very helpful I know. Hopefully @samiam will chime in as he has moved some large MOC's.

But what is the MOC? Love to know!
    Truthfully, there's not much more to add unless you have much more specific questions.

I've moved a few large builds, the most crazy being a 6-7,000 piece MOC shipped fully built to Singapore (mind you, it was a very fragile MOC too!). In that case, it was definitely "worth it" as I sold it for about 2.5 times the cost of what I originally paid and within 24 hours of it being listed.

It's not really much outside of the realm of a normal sale, you'll have to ask yourself all the same questions (do I want to ship worldwide, what do I price it at, etc..?). I would definitely suggest eBay as that's where you'll get the most market exposure.

If you have specific questions, I'll be happy to help. But your original post is somewhat vague so I'm not sure what else to add.
  • Glacierfalls265Glacierfalls265 USAMember Posts: 201
    @ecmo47 This is a picture from quite a while ago, since then the whole interior is in the process of being furnished. (Also the statues on the front need heads and hands so I still have a ways to go lol)  So far all I've done is start considering selling it.
    @samiam391 sorry for the vagueness of the original post. For me there are a couple of potentially restricting factors, such as that I can't ship large distances. Understandably, having a sale with pickup would be the best I should think. On our eBay account there is a $1000 selling limit at the moment, so it might not be the best to try to sell there. Like I said, I have zero experience with selling anything like this. :) 
    chuckpJohnyk668
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,901
    edited July 19
    WOW!!! That is a spectacular building. Have you posted pictures of it anyplace? Reminds me of a town hall/local government type building. You have done a great job with the colors. Very nice contrast with the tans and grays.

If you go the eBay route, you should wait until you can raise your limit. The size, design, the details certain warrant a price over 1K. That piece needs to be exhibited at one of the larger Lego shows.
  • preusspreuss CanadaMember Posts: 56
    Great question. I'm sort of going through a similar issue:
    I've built a massive MOC of my employer's headquarters as a personal project. Everyone there loved it and some higher ups have been floating the idea of the company purchasing it from me and having it there permanently.
    I don't think they have the slightest idea of the material costs, which I estimate in the $5000 ballpark, but someone even mentioned rewarding me for the time I spent and the artistic value of the build (it did win the Best of Brickfête award, so I guess there is some).
    I never intended to sell it, but I do like the idea of having it on permanent display there. I don't have enough space at home nor the courage to take it apart, so it is probably going to be there anyway, but I always thought it would just be on loan. If I were to "cash out", what would a reasonable price be?
    Jackad7Glacierfalls265
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 666
    @Glacierfalls265 That is really an impressive build. I like how you did the clock tower. Is that part of the JW Dilophosaurus Ambush bubble car in the clock? Very nice work.