Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Packing

EvilTwinEvilTwin UKMember Posts: 67
I expect this has come up before but I couldn't find anything by browsing posts from this year

How do people who sell "MIB" sets pack them?
Bubble wrap, box within a box, in the purest wool made from llamas that have only ever been fed on hand-picked grass, ...?

I have a few boxed sets that I want to sell to clear a couple of cupboards but they are mainly small, low-ish value sets like the seasonal vignettes (e.g. #40120 etc) so I don't want to spend a lot of extra time/money on packaging if I can help it, but also I know that there are some weird people about for whom the slightest nudge on the corner of a box is enough to send them into shrieking hysterics (or at least make them give negative feedback).

I have bought/sold loose pieces before but whole sets is new to me.

Comments

• William_TownsleyWilliam_Townsley Perth, Scotland Member Posts: 846
    EvilTwin said:
    I expect this has come up before but I couldn't find anything by browsing posts from this year

How do people who sell "MIB" sets pack them?
    Bubble wrap, box within a box, in the purest wool made from llamas that have only ever been fed on hand-picked grass, ...?

I have a few boxed sets that I want to sell to clear a couple of cupboards but they are mainly small, low-ish value sets like the seasonal vignettes (e.g. #40120 etc) so I don't want to spend a lot of extra time/money on packaging if I can help it, but also I know that there are some weird people about for whom the slightest nudge on the corner of a box is enough to send them into shrieking hysterics (or at least make them give negative feedback).

I have bought/sold loose pieces before but whole sets is new to me.

For smaller sets like that wouldn't it be best to sell them without the box. Just make sure everything is there and pop them in Jiffy Bag. 
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 564
    I generally try to ensure that none of the set box corners are in contact with the inside of the shipping box, and won't shift around during transport.  Whether this means a layer of bubble wrap around the whole box, packing peanuts, or just wads of packing paper placed in the shipper largely depends on the size of the shipping container. As the shipper box volume increases, bubble wrap and packing peanuts become more effective; a single small box in a small shipper will usually be OK with simple packing paper.  YMMV...

And if you plan to ship empty set boxes, please be sure to put packing paper INSIDE the set box as well, to prevent any unwanted collapse.  I learned that one the hard way!
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 957

I ship small to medium-large sets wrapped in a layer of bubble-wrap, and put them in a shipping box which is about an inch larger on each side. I fill the void with packing peanuts, or a bit of crumbled up packing paper. If I can't find a suitable sized box, I will make my own by cutting down a bigger one. If the set is very large, I will double-box them. One box tightly fitting the set, then a second box around it with some void in between the two boxes. You can get free boxes, packing peanuts and bubble-wrap for free at most retail stores if you ask nicely. I also save boxes and packing materials I get with my orders. I flatten out good quality, sturdy boxes and save them when it's time to ship. :) 

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,201
    ^ Gah not packing peanuts!  
    oldtodd33SeanTheCollector
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 1,904
    ^ I hate peanuts, especially Styrofoam.  
    SeanTheCollector
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,873
    Pretty much the same as @akunthita. Plastic shopping bags make great packing material. I center the Lego set inside the shipping box and start stuffing plastic bags around the edges.   
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,395
    I just slap a label on the outside of the LEGO set box. It's sure to stay intact during shipping, and everyone loves it!

Not.
    CCCYodaliciousSumoLego
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 479
    If avoid selling boxes items because it opens the opportunity for that nut who will want money back because of its condition. We could be talking about a $10 battle pack in a box that would be a graded ten and there's always someone out there will demand money back because its damaged.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,873
    I've sold thousand of boxed sets over a 6 years period and have never had a single issue. The screwballs and nutcases are few and far between.
    SprinkleOtterCCCSumoLego
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 846
    First, I never use the term "MIB".  But I always take plenty of pictures of the actual item to ship.   When sold, I wrap in bubble and ship in a custom FOL box.  An FOL style is similar to a FedEx box with the "Full Over Flap" giving all corners extra strength.  However, I know this is not easy for everyone to do.  I get more positive feedback on my packaging then i do the item sold.   And although I may ship for "free", the packaging has a fee.
  • leetshoeleetshoe USAMember Posts: 194
    MIB means the set is mint and in the box, not that the box is mint.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,869
    leetshoe said:
    That depends who you are talking to. It is better to be clear about condition than leave it to chance. Anyone calling something MISB or MIB if the box has some damage is asking for trouble.
    SprinkleOtterSumoLegodatsunrobbie
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,265
    leetshoe said:
    I'd disagree. While it "technically" may mean that if we're breaking down the words, if I'm buying something MIB or MISB, I'm assuming the box is in pretty darn good condition.

Plus, how could anyone possibly know if the set inside a sealed box is mint? Not saying it isn't, but that's Schrodinger's Cat type stuff. 99% of the sets inside of sealed boxes I've received have been "mint," but I've also had boxes directly from LEGO that have had bags burst open inside the box, or sticker sheets bent in half, or instructions ripped. It's always better to be clear on the condition of the box when selling sealed sets and not rely on just the Men In Black...er "MIB."
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 679
    ^ Yep - MISB, MIFSB or MIMFSB.  MIB are a couple of dudes that hunt aliens. Sadly though, it's this kind of minutiae that has led to the rise of the stupidity of AFA grading sealed packages.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 7,842
    ecmo47 said:
    ...The screwballs and nutcases are few and far between.
    I detect a hint of sarcasm.